pollytc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Circuit Training or Heavy Weight Training

Hi.

I'm a 47 year old female who is overweight. I need to lose about 75 lbs and currently am at 41% bmi. I am following Weight Watchers. I have a gym membership and just about every workout dvd and system known.

My question is this....though there is not a quick fix, which will benefit me as far as weight/fat loss better: circuit training or heavy weight training? I have been reading books, magazines and internet searches and getting mixed information. I'm getting a down, and feeling overwelmed.

Any information you can give me (especially if personal experience) would be much appreciated!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Weight training to accompany weight loss always - otherwise you will lose muscle, you won't get the shape you want, your metabolism will drop, you risk rebound fat gain etc. It's generally bad news.

Cardio or circuits are a good adjunct to a correct diet - but are entirely optional, you can equally well control your calories consumed instead of burning them off after consuming them.

pollytc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for replying so quick. I should probably emphasize that the circuit training I'm referring to would incorporate weights.....interval training of alternating cardio and weights, or weights which cause a cardio affect. Do you think heavy weight training with seperate cardio or circuit/interval training is what I should do?

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Weight training to accompany weight loss always - otherwise you will lose muscle, you won't get the shape you want, your metabolism will drop, you risk rebound fat gain etc. It's generally bad news.

Cardio or circuits are a good adjunct to a correct diet - but are entirely optional, you can equally well control your calories consumed instead of burning them off after consuming them.

kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50) kokoriko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i used to be 275 lbs

stick to compounds, cardio and diet. focus on cardio and perfect your form on the compound lifts with light weights for the next 3 months, then as you get more fit less cardio and use heavier weights each session. no need for circuit training imo, weightloss is more about your diet.

SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwolePatrol34 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can do heavy weight training and circuit training at the same time.

That is how I train.

Pick 3-4 exercises

Such as Squat, Bent over row, and Bench press

Train them under strength parameters but do them in a circuit.

So do a setof squat, then a set of bench press, then a set of rows. And by the time you have finished and are back to squat, it has probably been 2 to 2 and a half minutes since you last squatted, which is great for strength training.

This, of course, is only if you can take up multiple areas/machines without people getting too annoyed.

Hope this helped.
    cool

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by pollytc View Post
    Thanks for replying so quick. I should probably emphasize that the circuit training I'm referring to would incorporate weights.....interval training of alternating cardio and weights, or weights which cause a cardio affect. Do you think heavy weight training with seperate cardio or circuit/interval training is what I should do?
    The problem with weights in circuit training is that you aren't using enough intensity (this word has a very particular meaning in weight training) to preserve or grow muscle tissue. You need to do a proper barbell training routine IMO.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    The problem with weights in circuit training is that you aren't using enough intensity (this word has a very particular meaning in weight training) to preserve or grow muscle tissue. You need to do a proper barbell training routine IMO.

^^^^This.

Forget "circuit" training; it's an inefficient use of your gym time.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ProFitnessPlans View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH seriously? KNOW YOUR CLIENT. She's 47 y/o F. What's intense for you is NOT the same as her. Machines simply because you can find the correct weight FAST. You can progress to whatever months or years later but Everyone SHOULD NOT be doing barbell squats, snatches etc etc etc... Goto google scholar type in effectiveness of circuit or interval training for weight loss.
    Who said anything about "intense?"

I don't need "Google Scholar" to tell me what works and what doesn't. Weight training can be scaled to anyone, regardless of age, gender, or even if they're in a wheelchair.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH seriously? KNOW YOUR CLIENT. She's 47 y/o F. What's intense for you is NOT the same as her. Machines simply because you can find the correct weight FAST. You can progress to whatever months or years later but Everyone SHOULD NOT be doing barbell squats, snatches etc etc etc... Goto google scholar type in effectiveness of circuit or interval training for weight loss.
    I know of world class coaches that are happy to start total novices of all types using free weights.

We know circuit training can help weight loss but what about muscle preservation? Show me the study that indicates it is as effective as weight training...

Read this if you wish to further understand my views on the role of cardiovascular exercise for dieting purposes:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/nutrit...edded-com.html

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am a trainer.
    Bevans, by your own admission, you've only had 1 client aside from yourself, in 8 years. Double your client base in the next 8 years, and you'll still be in the 90%, that gives the other 10% of trainers ...

... a bad name.

Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have the same dilemma with my sister at the moment. I have decided to start her with the same workout I am doing, but substitute BB (45lbs. most likely to heavy to start) for all DB work. I figure we can do everything with db's. Looking for advice and opinions on this, anything I should cut/add?

A day

Squat
    Bench
    Rows
    Curls
    Dips (what could I sub or just scratch this, or weighted dip machine?)

B day

Pull ups (what could I sub or weighted pull up machine not sure if she could do that quite yet though?)
    Deads
    Military Press
    Standing Calf Raises
    Abs

I planned on just starting her with 5lb. DB's until form is decent and then increasing and working on form accordingly. Any help appreciated.

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Try as much BB as possible, switch to DB as necessary. Sub the dips w/ an overhead DB tri extension or skullcrushers. Pullups will be a sticking point; use a chair or some other assist and do negative-only reps till she builds up strength to do full ROM. Rest of it looks fine.

Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mt.Hoodlum will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SkydogGinsberg View Post
    Try as much BB as possible, switch to DB as necessary. Sub the dips w/ an overhead DB tri extension or skullcrushers. Pullups will be a sticking point; use a chair or some other assist and do negative-only reps till she builds up strength to do full ROM. Rest of it looks fine.
    Thanks!

Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by pollytc View Post
    Hi.

I'm a 47 year old female who is overweight. I need to lose about 75 lbs and currently am at 41% bmi. I am following Weight Watchers. I have a gym membership and just about every workout dvd and system known.

My question is this....though there is not a quick fix, which will benefit me as far as weight/fat loss better: circuit training or heavy weight training? I have been reading books, magazines and internet searches and getting mixed information. I'm getting a down, and feeling overwelmed.

Any information you can give me (especially if personal experience) would be much appreciated!
    If you're new to weights in general i'd suggest starting off with one set for each bodypart on machines. You're just starting out, slightly older, and overweight (not being disrespectful, i started in a similar position) so even circuit training can over train you. Your goal right now should be to just build up the consistency of going to the gym and getting a feel of the weights. AFter 3-6 months re-assess and go from there. Good luck with your goals and keep us informed!