Thread: knee wraps help

BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

knee wraps help

Hey guys so I tested out my new knee wraps(altus brand red line) i got today

I followed a knee wrap tutorial and wrapped from the bottom up very tightly going over half of the wrap as i wrap all the way up. I finished it up with an "x" and slipped the remains under the x. I had them on extremely tight to the point my lower leg feels slightly numb.

HOWEVER, when i tried to hit my 1RM, i failed terribly and did not feel like the knee wraps helped me at all.

My question to the experienced powerlifters is, is there a way you're suppose to squat to utilize the knee wraps better? I heard stories of people squatting 20 more lbs just by equipping themselves with knee wraps. The reason I'm practicing with knee wraps is solely to get ready for a meet soon. When I train, I only use rehband knee sleeves if not raw.

Appreciate any input

LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BrianKai View Post
    Hey guys so I tested out my new knee wraps(altus brand red line) i got today

I followed a knee wrap tutorial and wrapped from the bottom up very tightly going over half of the wrap as i wrap all the way up. I finished it up with an "x" and slipped the remains under the x. I had them on extremely tight to the point my lower leg feels slightly numb.

HOWEVER, when i tried to hit my 1RM, i failed terribly and did not feel like the knee wraps helped me at all.

My question to the experienced powerlifters is, is there a way you're suppose to squat to utilize the knee wraps better? I heard stories of people squatting 20 more lbs just by equipping themselves with knee wraps. The reason I'm practicing with knee wraps is solely to get ready for a meet soon. When I train, I only use rehband knee sleeves if not raw.

Appreciate any input
    Hard to say without seeing your squat with the wraps on but it's very possible that your mini-max (as in the portion of the lift that causes you to miss weights, the weakest link in your chain) is not the straightening of the legs, but perhaps something else. For example, if your glutes are holding you back from smashing weights, knee wraps won't do much since they won't do anything for your glutes.

Without a video it's impossible to say, but I wouldn't worry too much about knee wraps. They won't make or break your training or your meet at this point.

Louie rarely, if ever, has his lifters wrap their knees in training. Sometimes during their circa max phase, which is up to the individual lifter.

Bottom line; Don't worry about the knee wraps, focus on getting stronger period.

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You just need to practice in them more. I also don't know why you spent ~20$ on terrible knee wraps that barely accomplish anything when you could have gotten actual powerlifting knee wraps for 30$ or so

If you plan to do the meet in knee wraps, use them more and you'll get better at wrapping them/utilizing them
    771/645/622 Single Ply

BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrianKai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    You just need to practice in them more. I also don't know why you spent ~20$ on terrible knee wraps that barely accomplish anything when you could have gotten actual powerlifting knee wraps for 30$ or so

If you plan to do the meet in knee wraps, use them more and you'll get better at wrapping them/utilizing them

Thanks man. I just returned the ****ty knee wraps and picked some titan THPs up

scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i get close to 60 pounds from wraps

also, good choice with the THPs

just get used to them
    gym lifts/competition lifts

squat ???/650
    bench 545/435
    deadlift 600/601

Penn State Powerlifting

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks man. I just returned the ****ty knee wraps and picked some titan THPs up
    Good choice man. I was tempted not to say anything because I didn't want you to feel ****ty for wasting money
    771/645/622 Single Ply

getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When in doubt, crank them tighter.

Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    Good choice man. I was tempted not to say anything because I didn't want you to feel ****ty for wasting money
    haha i feel you

Originally Posted by scorpionsf View Post
    i get close to 60 pounds from wraps

also, good choice with the THPs

just get used to them
    ya it was either gonna be inzer z wraps or the thps. ended up wit thps cause of 2 day shipping wit amazon prime =D

Originally Posted by getout87 View Post
    When in doubt, crank them tighter.
    i feel like any tighter would not give me enough blood flow in the lower leg to contract my legs haha

i feel like any tighter would not give me enough blood flow in the lower leg to contract my legs haha
    How many times around your knee are you wrapping them? Are you pre-stretching them?

If the answer is anything less than 9 rotations (by yourself) and you don't pre-stretch, you're doing it wrong
    771/645/622 Single Ply