TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hows My Dead Lift Form? (320lbs)

Hey Guys,

Im quite new to Deadlifts, and well before I progress further,
    I would just like someone to comment if my form is okay?

I dont feel any "pain" the next day, sure drained, but I guess thats normal

I didnt really struggle that bad on this 5x5, This was the 4th set, so the form was not AS good as my first,
    but just want people to comment,

And no im not using Wraps , im just using gloves because the bar kills my girl hand skin )..

worldwideweb.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5zzJIIXb1Y&feature=youtu.be[/url]

Thanks

Registered User Nuclear_Warrior's Avatar
    Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TaoNinja View Post
    Hey Guys,

I didnt really struggle that bad on this 5x5, This was the 4th set, so the form was not AS good as my first,

And no im not using Wraps , im just using gloves because the bar kills my girl hand skin )..

Thanks
    You are using too much back by locking out your legs prematurely. Widen you stance, drop your ass, and drive off your mid to back foot. At lock out you should be back on your heels and able to raise your toes. Also, wear flat shoes.

5F5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I couldn't get to the video. Are you using a hook grip?

Originally Posted by Nuclear_Warrior View Post
    You are using too much back by locking out your legs prematurely. Widen you stance, drop your ass, and drive off your mid to back foot. At lock out you should be back on your heels and able to raise your toes. Also, wear flat shoes.
    Yah, I agree. My lifting coach would s**t himself if he saw me do that, it can hurt your back if you push up with your legs too soon. Once the bar is above your knees push through with your hips and hump the bar, you did well with that.

TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaoNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey thanks for the reply,

In regards to the "Back Arch" is that okay? Am i safe there?

So you say im locking my legs out too early?
    I will try to widen my stance i will do a few light weight ones today to see how it feels, are we talking, just past shoulder width for the stance? and hands still on the outside right?

Yeah I need to try and get some flat shoes

Originally Posted by 5F5 View Post
    Yah, I agree. My lifting coach would s**t himself if he saw me do that, it can hurt your back if you push up with your legs too soon. Once the bar is above your knees push through with your hips and hump the bar, you did well with that.
    Well at least i got something right haha,

Im a bit confused, as to this part, that im pushing with my legs too soon?
    Dont I want to use my legs first to drive the bar off the floor so that its past my knees so i can push my hips through?

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You:
    -kept a flat back
    -lifted the weight
    -didn't die

Looks fine to me.

UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looks to me like you exaggerated the lock out. This might lead to lower back pains.
    Other than that, looks good to me. Have you tried chalk instead of gloves?

Well at least i got something right haha,

Im a bit confused, as to this part, that im pushing with my legs too soon?
    Dont I want to use my legs first to drive the bar off the floor so that its past my knees so i can push my hips through?
    Sorry, I attemped to rephrase "locking your knees too soon"

Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post

You:
    -kept a flat back
    -lifted the weight
    -didn't die

Looks fine to me.
    That was my aim,
    To survive after that )

Hahah thanks,

But now im getting mixed reviews
    I really want to make sure I got this down, Because i can see myself going up in 5lbs each week for a while before I stall,
    and well i dont want to do any harm,

I know my form is not as bad as i have seen SOME guys do in the gym i train,
    it just makes me cringe i dont know how they go through with it...

Originally Posted by UnitedRampage View Post
    Looks to me like you exaggerated the lock out. This might lead to lower back pains.
    Other than that, looks good to me. Have you tried chalk instead of gloves?
    Yeah I kept on getting told by people,
    Literally over exaggerate your lock out, I guess i Over-Over Exaggerated it hahah
    I wont go so Overboard next time..

Hmm i not tried chalk, its just that I got some nasty calluses on my hands from the weights, and well, they get ripped off all the time,
    Since i been using gloves the calluses dont get ripped off, AS Much...

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That was my aim,
    To survive after that )

Hahah thanks,

But now im getting mixed reviews
    I really want to make sure I got this down, Because i can see myself going up in 5lbs each week for a while before I stall,
    and well i dont want to do any harm,

I know my form is not as bad as i have seen SOME guys do in the gym i train,
    it just makes me cringe i dont know how they go through with it...
    Honestly form doesn't matter as long as you succeed and don't kill yourself - and are avoiding certain things like non-straight backs, swinging, jerking on your joints etc. that could lead to you killing yourself down the road.

Somebody would probably say I don't deadlift right, but I can deadlift a good amount of weight so I don't care.

igregie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) igregie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) igregie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) igregie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me, I like to drop my butt. Although, NOT too much!

KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Drop the hips a bit, push through heels, and there is really no need to exaggerate the lock out that much unless you are looking for that 1 way ticket to snap city.

Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I thought your form was fine, perhaps a little too far on your toes, but that could be the shoes.

Remember that a deadlift is not a squat, your butt should be as low as you're comfortable with, but definitely not to parallel. It really depends on your body proportions, someone with short arms will obviously have to drop their butt lower than someone with long arms. Stance should be about shoulder width (I even go inside sometimes), grip slightly outside that (the wider the grip the lower you have to start, the farther you have to lift the bar).

Look at any top deadlifter and you'll find they lock their legs out where most people would consider "early" (the tires are of course larger than a plate, I tried putting a link but I don't have 50 posts). Mechanically it works best to have your legs lock (not completely locked, but straight) slightly early so you can rock your shoulders back (hips forward) and pull the weight up the rest of the way.
    Another thing you'll notice is allowing the upper back to bend, but keeping the lower back locked. This takes practice to do safely and properly, but when you get it your deads will rocket (it really helps with the lock out).

I personally am 6'2" with very long legs and dl over 500 (455 no straps) locking my legs slightly "early", and never have back problems.
    It's true an exaggerated lock-out can cause lower back problems, and I've even heard recommendations not to completely lock at all to avoid any pain it could cause. Personally I lock it out every time and haven't had a problem. Also keep in mind you can actually lock your legs out too early, it's not a two-step motion. The bar shouldn't touch your shins, if it does you're butt is too low.

But in the end, if you keep your back flat, lift the weight, and don't hurt yourself everything else is just extra.

Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nuclear_Warrior is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Honestly form doesn't matter as long as you succeed and don't kill yourself - and are avoiding certain things like non-straight backs, swinging, jerking on your joints etc. that could lead to you killing yourself down the road.

Somebody would probably say I don't deadlift right, but I can deadlift a good amount of weight so I don't care.
    Form doesn't matter? Then you say stuff like non-straight backs, swinging, jerking <--All relates to form.

What I can say to the OP and to the thread is that no one can have the same form, so what works for you may not translate to me, him, etc.

Generally speaking I will start from the bottom and work up:

1a. Stance: Wide (Sumo) or Narrow then that will drive your hands inside the knees (Sumo) or outside. Everything changes with your stance.
    1b. Feet/Shoes: Flat shoes or only a slight heel. There are specialty shoes specifically for the deadlift. Some guys even raise the toes.
    2. Ankle/Calf: Tight calves and ankles hurt your ass drop and pushes you forward <-- Also applies to squats. So work on your calf and ankle flexibility
    3a Ass Depth: Everyone is different. The idea is to keep your butt more down and head more up <--Also applies to squats. Deads are not squats, but focus on being able to drive up through your hips and glutes, then let your back finish
    3b.Hip Flexibility: Hammies, Abductors, and Flexors need to be loose. Tight hips leads to lower back picking up the slack.
    4. Spine: Your spine is curved S but you want your lower back under you and don't let your back roll over. Essentially it is referred to as keeping your back straight.
    5. Grip: Most use an over/under. My left is over and my right is under, but its up to you. I don't use gloves
    6. Shoulders: Keep them back, don't roll forward, because that just tends to pull your arms forward and your back over, losing your form.
    7. Neck: Neutral. Do not ever look down once you are ready to pull or you will drift forward. Nor due I look extremely up, because that places undue pressure on neck. I do tend to look sorta out and slightly up into the distance.
    8. Pull: Everyone has a philosophy. I drive off the rears of my feet, driving through my hips. Pulling with my rear delts. I don't focus on my grip. My hands are just extensions of my back.
    9. Set-up, Pull, Drive: You got to think of yourself as one-unit, once you get your grip and lock yourself in, that's it, you are just a compressed spring ready to open.
    10.Lock-out: Shoulders back, head neutral, hips open, back straight up if slightly back. Arms close in by your sides.

Other stuff:

Prepare to skin your shins. Closer the bar is to you, the better. Chalking your shins, knees, and lower thighs can help.

Maxing out: Unless you are training for a power lifting meet, there is no need to max out, really no need to drop below 5 reps. But what are you trying to achieve?

This was my workout yesterday: Sumo Stance/Hands 12 inches apart, over/under 135 x 12, 185 x 8, 205 x 8, 240 x 6, 295 x 6, 325 x 8

I am learning SUMO, so I dropped the weight to focus on form. My strength coach said it was good.

I also rotate between Trap Bar and Traditional Narrow Style with hands outside my knees.

Originally Posted by Egleaves22 View Post
    I thought your form was fine, perhaps a little too far on your toes, but that could be the shoes.

Remember that a deadlift is not a squat, your butt should be as low as you're comfortable with, but definitely not to parallel. It really depends on your body proportions, someone with short arms will obviously have to drop their butt lower than someone with long arms. Stance should be about shoulder width (I even go inside sometimes), grip slightly outside that (the wider the grip the lower you have to start, the farther you have to lift the bar).

Look at any top deadlifter and you'll find they lock their legs out where most people would consider "early" (the tires are of course larger than a plate, I tried putting a link but I don't have 50 posts). Mechanically it works best to have your legs lock (not completely locked, but straight) slightly early so you can rock your shoulders back (hips forward) and pull the weight up the rest of the way.
    Another thing you'll notice is allowing the upper back to bend, but keeping the lower back locked. This takes practice to do safely and properly, but when you get it your deads will rocket (it really helps with the lock out).

I personally am 6'2" with very long legs and dl over 500 (455 no straps) locking my legs slightly "early", and never have back problems.
    It's true an exaggerated lock-out can cause lower back problems, and I've even heard recommendations not to completely lock at all to avoid any pain it could cause. Personally I lock it out every time and haven't had a problem. Also keep in mind you can actually lock your legs out too early, it's not a two-step motion. The bar shouldn't touch your shins, if it does you're butt is too low.

But in the end, if you keep your back flat, lift the weight, and don't hurt yourself everything else is just extra.
    I agree with most. I don't mean dragging the bar up your shins...but I do keep it close. The OP will find his own groove and will probably use a little bit of advice from everyone to find his place.

aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey Guys,

Thanks
    Too much posterior pelvic tilting along with spinal flexion. I feel as if the only thing keeping your spine from arching completely is the belt you are wearing. You should try to learn proper form before you go that heavy. As in, keeping your spine straight and neutral in comparison to your pelvis. It is okay to use a belt, but it should be as a safety measure, not a crutch.
    Exercise Physiologist
    M.S. - Exercise and Sport Physiology
    West Chester University of Pennsylvania
    B.S. - Kinesiology
    University of Maryland

*Note: I am in no way, shape, or form suggested for anyone to do anything. Anything I post is purely based off of my own personal experience and opinions. If you decide to follow or do anything I say, that is of your own free will and not my suggestion.*

Form doesn't matter? Then you say stuff like non-straight backs, swinging, jerking <--All relates to form.
    According to your bodyspace, you can barely deadlift your own massive bodyweight.

Your argument is invalid.

According to your bodyspace, you can barely deadlift your own massive bodyweight.

Your argument is invalid.
    I deadlift my bodyweight lots of times, for lots of sets. I have no need, at 39, to max out, or attempt to pull heavier for less reps. Triples and doubles are for you young guys and competitive lifters.

Furthermore, I am not sure to which argument you are referring other than you saying form does not matter? In fact, upon review of my comments it seems I was not arguing with anyone useful. My comments were both a description of my form and dead lift opinions to help guide the OP to his own conclusions of what is best for him.

Now since you made it personal to my body, what have you done with your 160 pounds of lean body weight and 40 ish pounds of fat on a 5-10 frame?
    Last edited by Nuclear_Warrior; 02-16-2013 at 06:48 AM.

I deadlift my bodyweight lots of times, for lots of sets. I have no need, at 39, to max out, or attempt to pull heavier for less reps. Triples and doubles are for you young guys and competitive lifters.

Furthermore, I am not sure to which argument you are referring other than you saying form does not matter? In fact, upon review of my comments it seems I was not arguing with anyone useful. My comments were both a description of my form and dead lift opinions to help guide the OP to his own conclusions of what is best for him.

Now since you made it personal to my body, what have you done with your 160 pounds of lean body weight and 40 ish pounds of fat on a 5-10 frame?
    Seated shoulder pressed 225, deadlifted the back of a car, deadlifted 340x20 (year goal: 400x20), barbell curled 185 and done front levers. I do struggle with cutting under 200 pounds, but you're in no position to criticize that.

Next?

Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Egleaves22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Seated shoulder pressed 225, deadlifted the back of a car, deadlifted 340x20 (year goal: 400x20), barbell curled 185 and done front levers. I do struggle with cutting under 200 pounds, but you're in no position to criticize that.

Next?
    Gentlemen, if we could please keep the focus on helping this man with his deadlifting form that would be great.

Neither of you are professional power lifters, neither am I or anyone else commenting on here. We're all just people who value health and want to help others on their path. We're at different points in our lives, and we have different goals, so comparing BW to 1.5BW deads won't get us anywhere.