jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Jake's transformation log

Hello - Welcome to my log.

I will be logging my training, some of my nutrition, and my everyday thoughts about training and LIFE - which may include quotes, videos, or rants.

Background - I graduated from college in 2012 with a major in communication and a minor in psychology. After graduation I was offered a business position with a large coorperation in Phoenix. I accepted the offer and moved to AZ from Seattle. After 6 months of working there, I realized business was not for me. I got zero personal fulfillment from that type of work, so I moved back to Seattle to live with my parents while I pursue a degree in nursing. I am in the process of gaining my CNA license while taking prerequities for the UW BSN program.

In 2010 I weighed 340lbs and decided to make a change. I got down to about 240 dieting and doing cardio then started to lift weights. I fell in love with training and watching my body grow. I ended up getting down to 200lbs even at about 12% BF. Senior year of college I developed a ED (most likely due to a rough break up I was going through as well as the stress of school/finding a job). I quit training and eating healthy. I shot up to 252lbs.

In August I started training and dieting again. I have lost about 30lbs while gaining some of the muscle I already had, as well as gaining some strength back. I am not even close to the size or strength I was at though. I sought help and believe I have beat my ED. I have never felt this good or confident going into things. This will be the LAST time I have to lose as much weight as I do. I am looking forward to the challenge.

I am in this for the long run. I will not give up again.

Please chime in with comments or advice.

Current weight - 221lbs - Body fat unknown, I guess between 18-22%

Goal - 10% bf, maintain as much strength and mass as possible then reverse diet and start a long slow bulk.

Goal weight - 10% should be between 190-205lb. I know that is a large variance, but that's because I am not sure of my BF.

Macros - 200p/200p/65f = ~ 2200cal with one refeed day per week on Sunday. I will drop my protein to 150g, fats to sub 20g and up my carbs to ~350g.

Current routine - 3x week full body with a heavy day, medium day, and a lighter weight day. With cardio/ab work on off days if I choose. I want to follow through with this routine for the rest of my cut.

Monday

BB Bench 5x5 reps
    DB Press 3x6-8 reps

T-Bar Row 3x6-8 reps
    Pulldowns 3x6-8reps

Curls 3x6-10 reps
    Tripcep 3x6-10 reps

Legpress 3x5-8 reps
    Leg Extensions 3x8-12

Back extensions 3x15

Wednesday

OHP Press 3x8-12 reps
    DB Bench 3x8-12 reps

DB Row 3x10-12 reps
    Pull/Chins 3x10-12 reps
    Facepulls 3x12-15 reps

Curls 3x10-15reps
    Triceps 3x10-15reps

Weighted lunges, steppers, jumps

Back Extensions 3x15

Friday

T-bar Rows 3x12-15 reps
    Pulldowns 3x12-15 reps

Incline BB BP 3x12-15
    Flies 3x15-20 reps
    Dips 3xfaliure
    Lateral Raises 3x15 reps

Curls 3x15-20 reps
    Triceps 3x15-20 reps

Leg Press 3x10-12 reps
    Leg curl 3x8-12 reps

Back Extensions 3x15
    Last edited by jakefurfaro; 01-21-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    "If you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, THEN you'll be successful"

jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jakefurfaro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I will post pictures soon since I am entering the nmisc spring transformation challenge.
    "If you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, THEN you'll be successful"

Went light on legs today, pretty sure I have a small tear in my right quad that keeps acting up. I am going to skip leg day on Wednesday and stretch out real well and see how it feels on Friday. Cardio and abs tomorrow.

Today was my 'heavy' day, which is by far my favorite day of the week. I thought because yesterday was my first refeed/carb up day I would feel a bit stronger today but then I have to remind myself I am on a 800-1200 calorie deficit. It's pretty demotivating that I was benching 40 more lbs this time last year, but thats alright, I will be back there and further soon.

Flat barbell bench - 185x5 195x5 x4 <---- feelsbadman

Tbar row/chest supported row - 90x6 115x6 115x7 125x6

Lat pull down - 145x8 x3

DB shoulder press - 65'sx8x3 <---- gaining good strength back here

Tri push down/db curls

Leg press - 6 plates x 8 x 3

Leg extension - 115x10 130x10 145x10

Thoughts - Today was a productive day. I took care of a bunch of errands and my energy level was pretty good for only ~500mg caffeine. I want to start decreasing my caffeine intake but I know that is going to have to wait until I am finished with my cut. My energy levels are low enough and getting through school/work will be difficult while being on hefty calorie deficit and cutting my caffeine intake back. One step at a time.

Once I start clinicals in a few weeks I will probably up my calories by ~500 or so to account for the large increase in overall daily activity since I will be on my feet for 8+ hours plus my normal training. Clinicals will only be for a week then I will drop my calories back down.

Tomorrow morning I am going to measure my legs, waist, chest, and arms so I can start keeping track of my progress that way as well instead of just the scale. I will also take my pictures for the spring transformation challenge tomorrow.

Nutrition - 51f/166c/213p = 1975cals - For breakfast I had two egg mcmuffins from mcdonalds which is 600cal according to mcdonalds website so I consumed 10g less fat and 20g less cho just in case.

Training - Weight crunches, hanging leg raises, and 45 minutes of low to medium intensity cardio.

Thoughts - Today in general sucked. Four hours of sleep, less than ~300g caffeine, and I couldn't take a nap for ****. I considered putting my training off until tomorrow to get a good night sleep but around 8pm I got a spurt of energy and headed to the gym. By far my best workout in a long time. Everything felt good, had tons of energy and was just focused. I miss the degree of focus I had tonight. I haven't had that in about a year. It's funny how you can have the best workout when you go in feeling the crappiest.

Nutrition - 47f/196c/225p = 2155cals. Not too shabby.

Training - Training went extremely well. Today was a 'medium' day so the weight was dropped and the reps were increased for most all exercises. Today I only hit upper body but my right quad felt good today so I should be back to hitting legs either tomorrow or wait until friday to do it with my upper body. I am kind of not liking the 3xweek full body routine. May just switch back to a upper/lower 4 day split and call it good.

Standing barbell OHP - 105x10x3

Assisted pull-ups 70x10 70x8 70x8

DB flat bench - 75x9x3 50x12

DB row - 55x12 75x10 75x10

Seated face pulls - 45x12x3

Dips BWx8x2

DB curls - 30x10x3 25x12

Tripcep push downs

20min LISS cardio

I have been super busy the last few days, hence why I haven't updated.

Training has been on point. I took Thursday off, lower body Friday, upper body Saturday and HITT Sunday. Macros on point.

Looks like I am going to switch to a push/legs/pull/rest rotation for the rest of my cut. I tried the full body, didn't like it, and to be honest, when I hit a muscle group I like to hit it hard. Will post up my exercises for those days when I figure it out. Probably will alternate between a strength and hypertrophy workout for each rotation.
    Last edited by jakefurfaro; 01-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Thoughts - Hit upper body today, lower body tomorrow, rest Wednesday and Thursday I will start my push/legs/pull rotation.
    Training was good today, still getting stronger and I can see myself leaning out slowly. Still have another 20-30lbs to go.

Training -

Bench - 185x5 195x5 205x5 215x5 185x6

DB row - 75x10x3

DB shoulder press 65sx8x3

Behind head pull down (hits my traps so good) 115x12x3

Dips BWx8x3

Cable row (pulling high to concentrate on traps) 75x15x2

Curls/tricep work

Nutrition -39f/210c/210p = 2122calories - Low on fat, but other than that I am happy.
    Last edited by jakefurfaro; 01-29-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Thoughts - Started squatting again today! Did a lot of static stretching foam rolling, and some warm up cardio. I stayed with nearly no weight and just focused on form. It felt great!

Dieting is going well but my cravings are starting to come back. I have been consistently low on my fat which I wonder if that has something to do with cravings, or if its just being on a deficit.

Training -
    15 min elliptical warm up
    5 minute foam rolling
    Static hamstring stretching

Squats - 95x8x3 - Form felt good. I am going to add 10lbs every week while I continue to work on form
    Single leg legpress 2platesx8x3
    Leg extension 145x8x3
    Seated calve raises 95x15 115x15xx
    Leg curls 95x8x3
    Hanging leg raises 10x3
    Weighted cable crunches 160x20x3
    Back extensions BWx15x2 BW+10lbx15x3
    Side lateral bends 45x15x3

Nutrition - 34f/264c/216p = 2321 calories - Not my best day as far as macros go, but I'm not complaing. I am going to raise my fats and drop my carbs some.

PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In.. Good luck on the competition. You're in it right?

Originally Posted by PhiSig2298 View Post
    In.. Good luck on the competition. You're in it right?
    I originally was going to enter, but I think the combination of my past and how crazy life is going to be the next few months, I think it will be a better personal decision to not enter. I want training and hitting my macros to be something I check off at the end of the day instead of taking over my life like it did in the past. Trying a new approach to be healthier overall.

Thoughts - Today was a great overall day. Training went well, nutrition was on point, and I have slowly been lowering my caffeine intake. I am going to start playing basketball more regularly and include two plyometric sessions per week in my Legs/Pull/Push/Rest rotation. I will be doing a session each push day as well as every other leg day. Looking forward to getting in athletic condition.

Training - Everything felt good!

Tbar rows - 115x3x8
    Assisted pull ups - 70x3x8
    Db row - 80x2x8 (I will be taking these out of my routine due to back caution)
    Low Iso row - 90x8 140x8 180x8 (will start including these instead of db rows)
    Single arm lat pulldown - 55?3x10
    Seated lat pulldown - 45x3x10
    Rear delt flys - 65?x3x10
    Curls

Nutrition 54f/151c/234p = 2083 calories - A little low on calories today but I wasn't too hungry. I'll take it.

Thoughts - I started plyometric training today. I want to get faster, more explosive, and overall just better athletic shape. I liked it, I know my ankles are going to be pissed tomorrow though lol. I also did my normal chest workout today. Felt good, still getting stronger. My cinnabons protein and a new digital body weight scale both got delivered today, pretty stoked about that haha. Good day overall.

Training -

Flat bench 205x4x5 215x?? I asked for a spot and this guy helped with every single ****ing rep, which was 7. I was raging.
    DB incline press 65x8 75x8 75x8
    dips bwx8x3
    lateral raises 25x10x3
    skull crushers 60x10x4
    cable pushdowns

Plyometric -

Ankle jumps 3x50
    Jump squats 3x8
    Lateral Box Push Offs 3x20
    Box drill 3x5

Nutrition - I didn't count today. I knew I was going out to dinner with a friend so I got about 110g protein, 50g cabrs, 0 fat before dinner, then had a couple rolls, sweet potato fries, chicken breast with bbq sauce, bacon, and cheese on top. I'm probably roughly at about 2500 for the day, and with adding my Plyometric excersices + 15 minutes of cardio, I'm still in a 750-1000cal deficit. I love flexible dieting

Thoughts - Rest day, played basketball for a couple hours and I plan on playing tomorrow with friends as well. I will probably go to the gym tomorrow night or postpone my leg day one more day and just count my hours of basketball as a cardio day.

Nutrition - ~2500cals, 200g protein, not sure of carbs or fats.