terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)

Pain in the gluteal muscle (NOT DOMS)

I've been having recurrent sharp pain in my right gluteal muscle. Sometimes it seems to come out of nowhere, like when I am vacuuming, but usually it happens when I push myself really hard on squats.

Now, I did some googling, and some references to pain in the butt and the sciatic nerve or piriformus syndrome come up. However, since the pain doesn't feel like it is travelling down my leg, it can't be that can it?

If anyone has any suggestions about how to calm it down and still be able to squat heavy weights in the meantime, stretches or whatever, it's welcome. I already do some standard stretches but they don't seem to reduce frequency, and hip stretches seem to increase the pain when I have it.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    It can be sciatica and/or piriformis without traveling down the leg. The sciatic nerves branch out, so if only shorter endings are irritated, it won't shoot down your leg. Periformis syndrome is more common though, and it can be treated through stretching. There are tests you can perform with a partner that might help indicate which you're suffering from, although they won't be as accurate if you're not working with a phys. therapist or athletic trainer. I can't find any pictures of the special test f/ sciatica, but it's performed as follows:

You lie flat on your back on the floor with legs extended.
    Your partner raises one of your legs as if performing a straight-leg hamstring-stretch, bracing your knee to keep it straight. You keep your foot flexed (so it stays in the same position it'd be in if you were standing).
    You tell your partner to stop pushing your leg up once you feel a stretch in the hamstrings.
    At this point, raise your head and tuck your chin to your chest. If you can do this without pain, you most likely do NOT have sciatica, and you just have periformis syndrome and need to perform specific stretches for it.

Good luck, and I hope all is well

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the post. I'll try that test out sometime and see what happens.

In the meantime, I'm going to do a lot more stretching.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Terra, it does sound like a piriformis issue. I've had a lot of problems with this, but it originated with a pain in my right hip first, then I had dumbness in my right quad and a very painful glute. However, the pain can be different for different people, and you might only be in the very early stages. Do you have a tight IT band on that leg? This is also something that can hinder the area.

Lots of stretching is the way to go.

Here is a link with the 4 best stretches for this area.

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...-Exercise.html

Deep tissue massage would also be very beneficial, but if it's not getting better or getting worse, phsyio helped me as well as backing off from the exercises that you feel aggrivate it (for me it was leg press). I also have a foam roller which really helps (also really good for the IT band).

Hopefully these will help!

breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sounds like it could be piriformus syndrome. I actually have this problem too; the pain is located in the right glute, and does not radiate down my leg. I have to warm up and stretch A LOT before and after cardio. Also, on leg days I stretch in between sets of exercises that engage my glutes, in addition to the before/after stretching. This seems to help. The stairmaster for cardio really exacerbates this problem for me. Running on the treadmill or walking on an incline seem to be best, with the elliptical next.

You've probably already Googled a bunch of stretching suggestions for this problem, so I won't list them here (if you want additional suggestions, just PM me). I also get deep tissue massage and see a chiropractor once a week when it's particularly bad.
    "Self-discipline implies some unpleasant things to me, including staying away from chocolate and keeping my hands out of other people's pants."

--Oleg Kiselev

sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Terra, Just wondering how you are getting on with this?

bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Question on the foam rollers, what kind/type/size would you recommend in this situation?

I ask because I looked them up and there were a few sizes & types on the site I found. I get the same pain in the glutes at times too but squatting actually tends to alleviate mine to some degree. Driving is usually when I feel it.

I went to an ortho the pain was so constant and uncomfortable and I have a high pain tolerance. He ordered an MRI but the results were that basically I'm showing my age and all the wear & tear from sports is starting to manifest as a pain in the butt. He did prescribe 3 treatments with an epidural steroid which did help, if the pain hadn't been so bad I would not have gone through with it. So now it's pretty much gone except for an occasional flare up if I've really pushed myself riding.

So I'm really interested in the foam rollers, I'd love to go the massage route but that's not in the budget for me for now.

Originally Posted by bbbom View Post
    Question on the foam rollers, what kind/type/size would you recommend in this situation?

I ask because I looked them up and there were a few sizes & types on the site I found. I get the same pain in the glutes at times too but squatting actually tends to alleviate mine to some degree. Driving is usually when I feel it.

I went to an ortho the pain was so constant and uncomfortable and I have a high pain tolerance. He ordered an MRI but the results were that basically I'm showing my age and all the wear & tear from sports is starting to manifest as a pain in the butt. He did prescribe 3 treatments with an epidural steroid which did help, if the pain hadn't been so bad I would not have gone through with it. So now it's pretty much gone except for an occasional flare up if I've really pushed myself riding.

So I'm really interested in the foam rollers, I'd love to go the massage route but that's not in the budget for me for now.
    My foam roller is a large and it's dark blue. I find the larger ones, easy to work on. It will hurt using it, but it does help a lot! Good luck!

bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks Sherdi, if it's like a deep tissue massage pain I like that!

Originally Posted by bbbom View Post
    Thanks Sherdi, if it's like a deep tissue massage pain I like that!
    Yes, exactly like that pain! hahaha, enjoy!!!!

Originally Posted by sherdi View Post
    Terra, Just wondering how you are getting on with this?
    The stretching seems to be helping. I've been stretching it every night. For some reason lunging to the side to pick something up seems to cause it. The other day I did deadlifts, and it was acting up a bit (just after lunging to pick up a plate), so I didn't do squats after, and I think that helped. I'm thinking I should stop squatting after deadlifts.

I seem to go through periods where it is ok, then it will flare up a bit. Probably it got worse when I started neglecting stretching.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    The stretching seems to be helping. I've been stretching it every night. For some reason lunging to the side to pick something up seems to cause it. The other day I did deadlifts, and it was acting up a bit (just after lunging to pick up a plate), so I didn't do squats after, and I think that helped. I'm thinking I should stop squatting after deadlifts.

I seem to go through periods where it is ok, then it will flare up a bit. Probably it got worse when I started neglecting stretching.
    Yes, I find it can get worse/act up when I have not been stretching enough. Maybe separate your squats and dls into separate days?

Originally Posted by sherdi View Post
    Yes, I find it can get worse/act up when I have not been stretching enough. Maybe separate your squats and dls into separate days?
    Yes, I actually do that, I was trying to squat 2x/week.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Terra - does it feel like a 'catching' sensation (like something is getting 'stuck') or is it just a pain/sharp stabing sensation?

Is it just at the back, or do you get any discomfort at the front of your hip?

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    Terra - does it feel like a 'catching' sensation (like something is getting 'stuck') or is it just a pain/sharp stabing sensation?

Is it just at the back, or do you get any discomfort at the front of your hip?
    Only sharp pain. It's gone away for a few days, but last week it would appear if I just moved a certain way (eg. the same way you can kink your neck). Actually, it's always reminded me of a kink. But maybe that's what the question meant.

It's just the back of my hip. And looking at this diagram - http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscu...menu/image.gif I think it is where the piriformis is.

I skipped lunges yesterday, and got no hint of it. I have a feeling when I lose balance on a lunge and go down uneven, it triggers it too.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3