philBo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Preacher Curl Problem

Hey guys, i'm pretty new here i guess.

just got a few questions about working out the biceps...when doing preacher curls, i generally find that my forearms get pretty sore...is this a sign of incorrect technique? if so, what is the correct way of doing it!?

and whilst ive got teh floor, i'd like to ask also, when doing barbell curls, do the elbows tuck into your sides? or does it not really matter if they're a lil bit out from the side of the body!?

sorry if it sounds all n00b, but i'd love to get some advice from you all.

thanks in advance

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by philBo

just got a few questions about working out the biceps...when doing preacher curls, i generally find that my forearms get pretty sore...is this a sign of incorrect technique? if so, what is the correct way of doing it!?

and whilst ive got teh floor, i'd like to ask also, when doing barbell curls, do the elbows tuck into your sides? or does it not really matter if they're a lil bit out from the side of the body!?

thanks in advance
    I like to keep them tucked because it keeps me from cheating. If you're fairly new to lifting then yes, it's normal for your forearms to get sore, as they're not used to holding a lot of weight.
    I don't know either lol

Bigger than Darklight The Real Deal's Avatar
    The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    I like to keep them tucked because it keeps me from cheating. If you're fairly new to lifting then yes, it's normal for your forearms to get sore, as they're not used to holding a lot of weight.
    right on the dot as usual.

this vid on bb curling mite be helpful: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=513008

UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You might want to give spider curls a try, just do your curls on the opposite side of the preacher bench, the part that is verticle, not angeled.

It has dont wonders for my biceps.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you could be using too much weight and strianing them if they're always sore.

i would stick w/ regular bb/db for a while...besides, don't like preacher, greater chance of hyperextending the elbow on them.
    <->

sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used to have the same problem. I read a few posts about form (especially with not flexing the wrists) and adding forarm excercises to strengthen the arm. I'm not sure which did it but the preacher curl doesn't hurt me anymore.

SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used to get a sharp pain in my left forearm right after I would release the curling bar from finishing a set of preachers.

To get rid of this problem, drop preachers for a week or 2 and concentrate on standing dumbbell curls and standing bb curls which are less intense on your forearms.

When your arms start feeling better, begin doing preachers again but put the seat up a little higher so less stress is placed on the forearms. I actually now perfer doing preachers with the seat higher because it adds to the slope of the decline of the pad which keeps the tension on the muscle at its peak.

pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100)
    IMO this can largely be avoided by doing 3/4 reps, avoiding the bottom of the movement. Takes the strain off the elbows and forearms, and makes it more effective for the bis on the remaining ROM.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pumpster
    IMO this can largely be avoided by doing 3/4 reps, avoiding the bottom of the movement. Takes the strain off the elbows and forearms, and makes it more effective for the bis on the remaining ROM.
    Lmao, the bottom quarter of the movement is the only portion that the bi's are actually getting worked hard!
    I don't know either lol

zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Lmao, the bottom quarter of the movement is the only portion that the bi's are actually getting worked hard!
    But if you're having problems, overload and do 3/4 motion. That works very well for the bi's

Originally Posted by zfan88
    But if you're having problems, overload and do 3/4 motion. That works very well for the bi's
    Once the weight gets halfway up it's almost vertical, and the stress on your bi's is minimal. Don't even bother with this exercise if you're going to leave out the bottom portion, that's the most important part. It's like only doing the top 3/4 of a DB flye.
    I don't know either lol

zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Once the weight gets halfway up it's almost vertical, and the stress on your bi's is minimal. Don't even bother with this exercise if you're going to leave out the bottom portion, that's the most important part. It's like only doing the top 3/4 of a DB flye.
    My arms aren't vertical until i'm at the very top of the motion. Maybe that's just me though. It benefits me a lot to to 3/4 reps on preacher. I switch it up though with lighter weight and do full for the stretch

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by philBo

thanks in advance
    Not everyone is cut out for preachers. They seem to work better for meso or endo guys due to tough tendons/joints.

That is a generalization of course.

Keeping the biceps flexed helps (don't relax and do "singles" at the bottom)

ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I love the preacher curls, do them all the time. At the start I used to get the pain as well and used to take that pain everywhere. Stopped after a while then started again and the pain was minimal. I also did some forearm exercises and that helped.
    Oh, and I think going all the way with the preacher, no 3/4 movements. This can be the best exercise if done correctly, but also the worst if done wrong.

htownsb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) htownsb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) htownsb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It also depends on ur bicep structure. imo if u have low, full biceps (ex. sergio olivia) then preacher curls will do wonders in terms of development. But if u have a high bicep like me (gap between the elbow), then spider curls and standing concentration curls (arnold style lol) are the best for you. In my case, standing concentration curls keep the tension on the biceps the entire time (make sure u curl to ur opposite shoulder, supinating at the top).

pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100)
    Lots of pros use 3/4 preacher motions because (1) there's far less stress on elbows and ligaments, and as importantly, (2) the point is to remove the weakest link in the motion. Very similar concept to box squats, which many feel are better for thighs than full range squats.

Think about it and you'll realize that same bottom part of the motion's removed when doing standing cheat curls, and the results are effective, because the greater benefit accrues to the biceps when working through it's area of strength in the remaining part of the motion, actually. Properly done cheats leave the remaining portion of the motion fairly strict, it's only the bottom part that's removed from the motion.

Just common sense.
    Last edited by pumpster; 08-25-2005 at 07:22 PM.

philBo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    awesome response guys...much appreciated...

i'm trying to really hit my bicep areas..they're lagging behind too much for my liking...

in general..how many bicep excersises are recommended..at the moment i'm doing about 4..is that enuff or is more the better to really hit those biceps?

i'm doing

preachers, barbell curls, dumb bell curls, and a few hammers

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by htownsb
    It also depends on ur bicep structure. imo if u have low, full biceps (ex. sergio olivia) then preacher curls will do wonders in terms of development. But if u have a high bicep like me (gap between the elbow), then spider curls and standing concentration curls (arnold style lol) are the best for you. In my case, standing concentration curls keep the tension on the biceps the entire time (make sure u curl to ur opposite shoulder, supinating at the top).

Good point.

I've noticed "short bicep" guys get a lot of work for mass from Incline DB curls.

In fact, if you look at the bicep routines of guys with trouble building bis, you almost always see IDC as the main exercise.

I always think that for good advice look to those with a a problem area that is improving, not to those with "easy" genetics.

IMO use only 2 exercises, 3-4 sets of each, going to beyond failure on the last set or two of each exercise using partials, rest-pause, cheats, etc.

The best for me are standing cable curls + preachers. Alternate 4-6 weeks of standard sets then go to supersets of the two.
    Last edited by pumpster; 08-26-2005 at 05:13 AM.