Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HCoMixedGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to tackle my obliques????

Help me...i havent the slightest idea on how to hit them!

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HCoMixedGuy
    Help me...i havent the slightest idea on how to hit them!
    go nuts!

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Wai...#anchor1944764

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ed073
    good llist

C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100)
    If you are striving for a bodybuilder type physique with a V-Taper I would abstain from direct oblique work.

Just my .02 cents
    Please "neg" me...I love it!

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by C-Los
    If you are striving for a bodybuilder type physique with a V-Taper I would abstain from direct oblique work.

Just my .02 cents
    i dont understand why people are so scared to work those obliques. i mean, they arent going to get huge over night, none of my other muscles have. and of course, if you do get them too big, simply stop working them, and they will beging to shrink.

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Just my .02 cents
    based on what reasoning? I mean your entitled your opinion but without hitting your obliques somewhat your not gonna have the overall development that is needed
    Chicks dig big calves

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    yeah i hate that bodybuilders dont work obliques line too..
    unless u think u r gonna take out competitions, work your obliques for crying out loud. Strong core is a stronger body.

Im a big fan of this type of exercise for them
    http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Obliques/LVTwist.gif
    I do it witrh a cable tho as i dont have a machine like that at my gym, they work awesome and ive definately put some mass on there since. They used to be fairly flat but after a couple of months of direct work they feel like little blocks of wood
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by bigpump23
    based on what reasoning? I mean your entitled your opinion but without hitting your obliques somewhat your not gonna have the overall development that is needed
    I'm one of the lucky ones that is able to put on lean body mass without much trouble. That is why I personally do not do any direct oblique work at all. If I was a wrestler or an athlete that needs strong obliques than I would. But to me the smaller the waist the better.

Peace

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm one of the lucky ones that is able to put on lean body mass without much trouble. That is why I personally do not do any direct oblique work at all. If I was a wrestler or an athlete that needs strong obliques than I would. But to me the smaller the waist the better.

Peace

alright thanks for clearing it up bro
    Chicks dig big calves

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Russian twists and side crunches with your body of a bench (they got a name but i forgot)

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bent press and windmills work very well for me.

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Try this, take a weight of the squat rack (one that you can box squat or you will have some trouble later on ) sit on a box, chair, decline bench, your trainings partner, ....... and just sit there for 30 seconds while keeping your whole waist thight. Great way to train squat stability and the whole core.

maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Suitcase lifts with an oly bar work great. Get used to the exercise then go for a walk with it. Hits the wrists good too.

El Dudereno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Deadlift = strong core (abs, obliques, erector spinae). Arnold did heavy deads and he had a fantastic V-taper.
    El Dudereno he say: "Make every day an anabolic day."

>>>>>>
    anabolic

\An`a*bol"ic\, a.(Physiol.) Pertaining to anabolism; an anabolic change or process, more or less constructive in its nature.
    >>>>>>

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not sure what this has to do with lean body mass. He wants to train his obliques. This has nothing to do with the V, or looking fatter.

And not to dogpile, but with all due respect, why would you apply your personal "luck" and physiology to anyone else and their training needs? The whole point is to train each body part well.

If you're born with enormous delts, and some guy asks what he should do for delts, you wouldn't say "don't train them at all" simply because YOU didn't have to.

Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    I'm not sure what this has to do with lean body mass. He wants to train his obliques. This has nothing to do with the V, or looking fatter.
    When I bulk I have see good gains in lbm. I train everything 6-10 reps. Why on earth would I grab 100 lb dumbells 6-10 reps of side bends to purpousely make my obliques bigger. I'm talking about the way I train and what works for me. I'm a bodybuilder and I wanna look like one.

And not to dogpile, but with all due respect, why would you apply your personal "luck" and physiology to anyone else and their training needs? The whole point is to train each body part well.

If you're born with enormous delts, and some guy asks what he should do for delts, you wouldn't say "don't train them at all" simply because YOU didn't have to.

WTF are you talking about?
    If I remember correctly this board is dedicated to Bodybuilding. I guess I made a mistake in assuming everyone here is aiming for a muscular, proportionate, and symetrical physique. Now I'm not saying to stop training a certain body part if its growing faster then the rest of your body. But you will want to focus on is bringing other parts up to par. Having said that I will never train obliques directly.
    Attached Images

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by unity
    i dont understand why people are so scared to work those obliques. i mean, they arent going to get huge over night, none of my other muscles have. and of course, if you do get them too big, simply stop working them, and they will beging to shrink.
    the only way your obliques are going to get too big is if you are doing side crunches with a car or something

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If I remember correctly this board is dedicated to Bodybuilding. I guess I made a mistake in assuming everyone here is aiming for a muscular, proportionate, and symetrical physique.
    Lol. Just referring to your own posts, champ. Everyone here is "aiming for muscular, proportionate, and symetrical physiques", but you're abstaining completely from training one part and recommending others do the same simply because you gain LBM.... I'm still not sure what you're LBM has to do with training or not training obliques.

You're taking the personally - I'm just asking you to explain what one has to do with the other. Your LBM and whether some other guy should think about training his obliques? Not sure about that one.

Lol. Just referring to your own posts, champ. Everyone here is "aiming for muscular, proportionate, and symetrical physiques", but you're abstaining completely from training one part and recommending others do the same simply because you gain LBM.... I'm still not sure what you're LBM has to do with training or not training obliques.

You're taking the personally - I'm just asking you to explain what one has to do with the other. Your LBM and whether some other guy should think about training his obliques? Not sure about that one.
    Look, saying I gain lbm fairly easy means that I don't train obliques directly cause I don't want them to grow. I don't want to gain muscle on on my obliques cause my waist will appear larger. Thats what I mean.

This is what I've been doing and will continue doing. Waist size is mostly genetic but I will always want to keep it as small as possible.

My sister makes fun of me saying that I have a girlie waist......thing is I take that as a compliment.

Remember that the smaller your waist size the bigger you will appear.

Look, saying I gain lbm fairly easy means that I don't train obliques directly cause I don't want them to grow. I don't want to gain muscle on on my obliques cause my waist will appear larger. Thats what I mean.

This is what I've been doing and will continue doing. Waist size is mostly genetic but I will always want to keep it as small as possible.

My sister makes fun of me saying that I have a girlie waist......thing is I take that as a compliment.
    Bud I think I already mentioned that having well-developed obliques does not necessarily mean losing out on the V-taper. Check out Arnold.

>>>>>>
    anabolic

\An`a*bol"ic\, a.(Physiol.) Pertaining to anabolism; an anabolic change or process, more or less constructive in its nature.
    >>>>>>

Originally Posted by El Dudereno
    Bud I think I already mentioned that having well-developed obliques does not necessarily mean losing out on the V-taper. Check out Arnold.
    I agree. But, in my case all the indirect work my obliques get is enough. If someone thinks they have underdeveloped obliques than by all means go ahead and train them hard and heavy. In reality I think obliques are not a problem bp for the majority of us.

Peace

I agree. But, in my case all the indirect work my obliques get is enough. If someone thinks they have underdeveloped obliques than by all means go ahead and train them hard and heavy. In reality I think obliques are not a problem bp for the majority of us.

Peace
    In that case you and I are in total agreement. I think deadlift is enough.

>>>>>>
    anabolic

>>>>>>

Or Dexter, or Darrem, or any of the "leaner", non-short pros out there right now.
    I get your point, though, C-Los, I just didn't want to over-apply the "I don't work mine, and I have a nice V" logic so as to deter people from working obliques. I know we all have different goals, but for the BB enthusiast who wants to work EVERY muscle equally, and go for complete proportion, I'd never deliberately ignore a part, especially one so important to my daily life.

Don't get me wrong, I know oblique strength will benefit me about 1 day in 1000 (each time I have to pass a piano to a guy standing to my side), but it's a muscle, I want to train it.

I think deadlift is enough.
    LOL. Didn't we just talk about this? I think we agreed to disagree, but can I lodge my vote again against deads as a sole oblique move? Then again, whatever blows your skirt up.

LOL. Didn't we just talk about this? I think we agreed to disagree, but can I lodge my vote again against deads as a sole oblique move? Then again, whatever blows your skirt up.
    LOL I believe you're right. I think we've also discussed that you're a...ecto? and I'm a meso...

Perhaps all threads like this should be answered with a question: "What body type are you??"!

>>>>>>
    anabolic

>>>>>>

Perhaps all threads like this should be answered with a question: "What body type are you??"!
    All threads, period, could begin with a series of questions - that one's at the top.

Me and my 30% meso ass will keep doing deads anyway, and some oblique work. What the hell, right?

La creme de la creme rick martel's Avatar
    rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50) rick martel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    arnold still had a v taper even though his obliques were built BECAUSE his lats were superior, his back was big therefore his obliques could also be big while having the v taper.

if you were to train obliques you would have to build lats up big in order to have a v taper. but still takes away from the V, and if your going for complete aesthetics then why train obliques.
    tone?....TONE?..........wtf is tone!

Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Saxon side bends. Hold two dumbells overhead, and bend side to side. Use very light weight to start out, and a small ROM.

Also, one-handed lifts (like one-handed deadlifts) are great at working the entire core, as are standing military presses.
    Last edited by Stagger; 09-07-2004 at 05:49 PM.

bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    abs without obliques looks like ****