Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50)

First Meet-Use equipment or no?

Hello!

Have my first meet in 7 weeks and I am super excited but nervous as hell. Federation is USPA, I am registered in the Raw Junior division (20-23 years), female, 132 weight class.

Current maxes:
    Bench – 115 (old max, can slingshot 150x2)
    Deadlift – 225
    Squat – 145 (old max)

I don’t use belts, wrist wraps, or knee sleeves when I lift. I feel like it was (is) important to build up that raw strength before adding in more supportive equipment. And my lifts are going up so I haven't had reason to incorporate equipment. However, the federation allows the use of this equipment.

Would it be prudent to start practicing with them now and use them in the comp?

I’m leaning towards using the belt only and then adding in wrist wraps and knee sleeves later in my lifting journey, once my lifts increase. I’m not trying to win records or anything and I am afraid of adding too much new gear and not being 100% comfortable using it all on the day of, especially with nerves and figuring out what I am doing. Will I look like a fool for not using this equipment though? Is it easy to get used to and I should just suck it up and do it?

If you guys have any other advice/opinions too I would love to hear it. I read the "Your first meet" sticky...WONDERFUL resource so thank you.

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First, all that equipment is entirely optional, no you will not look bad for not using it, everyone has their reasons and their preferences, so don't worry if that's the route you take. However, most of that equipment does come with potential benefit.

Starting with the knee sleeves, all sleeves are designed to do primarily is keep your joints warm, and provide extra safety to the area overall. You don't need high lifts to use sleeves, think of them as just a safety mechanism, and therefore, they'll provide many benefits to you in and out of the meet, and at any strength level. Also, some people find the sleeves can add a few pounds to their lifts potentially, and help them with the mental aspect, giving them a better feel in the area during their lifts, so with this in mind, make your decision on whether or not you want to use sleeves. Some of them are cheap, they're very easy to use, just pick the right size, slide them up your leg over your knee, and you're set, simple. If you choose not to use them, it's not a big deal, your lifts won't change all that much, and provided you lift with good form, especially while you're young and just starting out, joint safety shouldn't be a big concern.

Wrist wraps, similar story, slightly different, but again, they're mainly for safety reasons, protecting the wrists and keeping them strong and straight, which can be difficult for some people without them at very heavy weights. I wouldn't say they really have much to give to your lifts, maybe a couple pounds, giving you more confidence on the mental side which may give a little extra, but again, when used correctly, they're primarily for safety. Again, fairly cheap, most you'll simply hook over your thumb, wrap them tightly around the wrist area, they'll stick with something like Velcro, and you're set. As with the sleeves, if you're lifting with good form, and don't have any previous wrist injuries, you shouldn't need them, but if you were to get them, there's always that little extra security.

Without dragging this on, belt, I've only just purchased my 1st belt, and my 1st meet is in 2-3 months. My 1st time using the belt, where I had previously failed on squats, I got all my reps. This continued for another 10+ kilos, I felt unusually strong and secure around my core, and in my back, the weight felt amazingly easier, and in regard to the squat especially, the belt has done wonders. I'd attribute this to both the physical side, having something to brace against, but also mental, as mentioned previously, everything just feels better, and that too can add pounds to your lifts. I don't think it's too difficult to get used to, they may cost a little more then sleeves and wraps, but similar to those, a belt can be useful for safety, add a few pounds, and if you wanna get 1, you'll probably be satisfied with what you get.

Bottom line, sleeves and wraps are really easy to use, I've been using them for months, they're pretty useful at times, and if they sound appealing, they're worth getting, even if just for long-term safety and support. Belt, with what little experience I've had with it, it's helped me mentally, physically, and the safety it provides is surely working somewhere behind the scenes. I got used to it very quickly, within my 2nd-3rd workout of using it, I felt I had it in the right place, at the right tightness, and my lifts soared. If you don't wanna use any of this equipment, that's fine, it's your 1st meet, you're young, healthy, you don't need to worry about this if you don't want to. If you decide to, you'll get a little extra safety, along with a potential few pounds to your lifts, most likely from the belt especially, and it shouldn't be a problem at all to get used to using these right.

Just my opinion. Good luck in your 1st meet, whether you go with these or not, just have a good time and don't cause yourself any unnecessary stress.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 04-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.

parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Foxstand View Post
    Hello!

Have my first meet in 7 weeks and I am super excited but nervous as hell. Federation is USPA, I am registered in the Raw Junior division (20-23 years), female, 132 weight class.

Current maxes:
    Bench – 115 (old max, can slingshot 150x2)
    Deadlift – 225
    Squat – 145 (old max)

I don’t use belts, wrist wraps, or knee sleeves when I lift. I feel like it was (is) important to build up that raw strength before adding in more supportive equipment. And my lifts are going up so I haven't had reason to incorporate equipment. However, the federation allows the use of this equipment.

Would it be prudent to start practicing with them now and use them in the comp?

I’m leaning towards using the belt only and then adding in wrist wraps and knee sleeves later in my lifting journey, once my lifts increase. I’m not trying to win records or anything and I am afraid of adding too much new gear and not being 100% comfortable using it all on the day of, especially with nerves and figuring out what I am doing. Will I look like a fool for not using this equipment though? Is it easy to get used to and I should just suck it up and do it?

If you guys have any other advice/opinions too I would love to hear it. I read the "Your first meet" sticky...WONDERFUL resource so thank you.
    Since the weight is heavy for you, I'd recommend you use all of the gear mentioned.
    Especially since it is a good meet to practice things..You should get used to wearing a belt. Because, as you progress and get stronger, you WILL need one.
    Wrist wraps are always a great idea on bench.
    I never used knee sleeves, but they do help!
    When I say "help", i mean they wont add any pounds to your lift, but they will aid in keeping you safer.
    Goodluck!
    18 years old. Powerlifter.
    Bodyweight: 120 lbs(Summer 2013)-----------128(May 2014)
    Max Squat: 305----------------------------410
    Max Bench: 200----------------------------255
    Max Deadlift: 340----------------------------445

Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50) Foxstand will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you both for the great responses. I will definitely use the belt and will try to get some knee sleeves and wrist wraps and see how I feel in them. I do want to be safe, just hard for me to know when they are a good idea and when they seem a little excessive.

Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gavin93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Foxstand View Post
    Thank you both for the great responses. I will definitely use the belt and will try to get some knee sleeves and wrist wraps and see how I feel in them. I do want to be safe, just hard for me to know when they are a good idea and when they seem a little excessive.
    They're useful, but if you want to use them, use them for as many training sessions before a meet as you can.
    "Anytime you pick up something heavy, it's a good thing. If it makes your total go up, use the $hit out of it. If it doesn't, don't." -HamburgerTrain

"The Ocean she is crazy; I once saw a dolphin jump out of the water 20 feet, and on it's way down, clubbed a girl in the head with a lead pipe."

"All chances in my hands, I must do my best." Zydrunas Savickas

DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DiggersNick21 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Is it legal to simply wear the approved singlet and a pair of chucks and some chalk on the hands? No belt or wraps or sleeves etc?

I would prefer to lift like that as that is how I will be lifting year round.
    *ELDER OF ZION CREW*

Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Truebmxer01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DiggersNick21 View Post
    Is it legal to simply wear the approved singlet and a pair of chucks and some chalk on the hands? No belt or wraps or sleeves etc?

I would prefer to lift like that as that is how I will be lifting year round.
    No you don't have to wear a belt or sleeve or knee wraps
    Last edited by Truebmxer01; 04-13-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Bulking[X] Cutting[ ]
    Start weight at beginning of bulk in 12/1/13 :143

Gym PRs: 335/230/425 Gym Total: 990 bench TNG: 235
    Meet PRs: 325/203.9/413.4 total: 942.3lbs
    Front Squat: 185lbs
    OHP: 145lbs

Attending BYU-I in the fall for one semester.

The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that. - Arnold Schwarzenegger "the king"

Follow my workout log @ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160625661

I always rep back
    *LDS Crew*