sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunny81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

lifting weights while cutting - why?

Hey ladies,

If someone is doing a cut, what's the significance of lifting weights? If there is less energy input from kcal then it would seem that damaging the muscles through resistance training would be a bad thing. Can these muscles properly recover when cutting?

Thanks,
    Sunny

Damn i'm great.... BIGDUBBDEISEL's Avatar
    BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000) BIGDUBBDEISEL is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

To stimulate the muscle fibers, Hence gain strenth and maintain mass. Also lifting weights burns calories and boost the metabolism. Hope this helps....
    5'10
    Chest-49
    Arms-18
    Waist- size 32
    Bench-380
    Squat-500+

I appreciate reps.

musclar smurfette Sunshineslynn's Avatar
    Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well cutting is done when you have bulked to get ready for a show. You cut to shed the fat layer off your muscles you have built. You continue your routine as normal due to you built muscle lifting and your not going to if you dont lift. You dont want to loose the muscle you just spent months putting on. When you dont lift you wont keep that muscle. When cutting comes into play you are dieting in extremes for a set amount of time and you continue your rountine in order to bring out the muscles to see cuts and such to show off in a subjective manner.

Unless your getting ready for a show then you should not be doing a cutting diet point blank. Even if you are if you are new to it you should get help from someone that has done it before since it can be dangerous if not done correctly. You put your body into alot of stress doing shows.
    "You can't take some pill and hope your fat will jump off of you like you have the plague. You must work out and eat clean to have a lean, green, fighting machine." Sunshineslynn

'If you always do what you always did, then you will always get what you always do'

I dip, you dip, we all dip....dip to the east, dip to the west ......dip to get that tricep.

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you don't lift weights on a kcal deficit, you'll lose both muscle and fat. If you do lift weights, damaging the muscles will make your body invest extra energy into repairing them and won't take out so much out of them... so you'll lose less muscle or even build some during a cut.

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

Just doin' my thing... BuffedWildCat's Avatar
    BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes, and beginners can actually lose fat and build muscle at the same time! How cool is that?!! Yep, the first time I finally got myself on a decent diet plan, my weight did not change but my body composition went from 22% fat to 16% fat. Since the scale weight stayed the same, I gained the same amount of muscle as I lost in fat! Also, important to note, I didn't have my calories cut much if any at all, I just CLEANED up my diet and continued to lift and those were my results. But yeah, especially if you are eating less calories than you are burning, you most definitely want to lift in order to preserve that muscle. People who diet alone lose more muscle and then if you add cardio in with that yet, you basically end up skinny fat or in other words skinny but flabby with no sexy curves. Muscle is what makes women sexy or at least if you find curves sexier than sticks.

No struggle, No progress niiick's Avatar
    niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000)
    am i allowed to be in the female section? o_O

i don't know if anyone has mentioned that muscle presence speeds up metabolism. Think of your muscles like little furnaces, burning up all that excess energy/carbs/fat ... the more muscle you have/more energy they demand/more resources not being turned into fats and such.

kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethcr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn per day...

MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sunny81 View Post
    If someone is doing a cut, what's the significance of lifting weights? If there is less energy input from kcal then it would seem that damaging the muscles through resistance training would be a bad thing. Can these muscles properly recover when cutting?
    I'm starting to think people are over-using the term "cutting".

A cut is an extreme diet body builders use to get their physiques to an unhealthy level of BF and hydration to reveal their musculature for a brief period of time. Since the whole goal of a BB competitor is to show off all the hard work they've put into building MUSCLE, it would be ridiculous to diet for 2-3 months and stop weight training. They would end up looking stringy and awful on stage!

This is why "cutting" is not just about slashing calories, but very (I repeat VERY) carefully managing your macros, cardio, and training to minimize the damage to your body. My nutritionist says his girls typically gain 2-3 lbs of pure muscle while cutting because their weight training is just as intense and their protein intake is so high. As long as your diet is solid, your weight training is productive, and you get enough sleep you can definitely continue to add some lean mass while cutting. I was quite surprised to hear this actually, since we usually talk about how it is not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but this is coming from an experienced competitor himself who has managed the diets of dozens of figure and BB champs. I guess he knows what he's talking about...
    There is no such thing as good or bad, only thinking makes it so

Your outlook on life is a direct reflection of how much you like yourself

The biggest burden is a great potential

fit-sarah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fit-sarah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fit-sarah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    to prevent muscle loss!