goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000)

yesterday I realized something

In order to realize my goals of 10% (or less) bodyfat, and for my health in general, I *must* stop drinking alcohol, so.....I did, starting now.

I'm 44, 5'8", 166lbs, 14% bodyfat (according to my Omron hand held). I've always been "active" (running & bicycling mostly), but about eight months ago, I started lifting in the gym with my nephew, who was/is far more knowledgable than I was/am. I was pathetically weak at first, but made good "noob gains". I'm now up to 200lb bench, 225lb barbell squats (deep), and 300lb deadlifts. All this while paying only moderate attention to my diet and drinking way too much wine every week. I now realize that, if I want to get rid of the rest of my belly fat and continue to gain muscle I need to get my diet under control and cut out the alcohol.

I have tried moderation and it doesn't work for me. If I have a glass or two, I just want more and will continue until I have drank five or six (or more). The only solution for me is complete abstinance. So, starting immediately, no more booze and my diet will be much more strict.

Not real sure why I am posting this, other than I just want to make my goals and my resolution public. I have lurked in this forum for the last eight months, and have learned a great deal. I'll post some Bodyspace pics when I drop a bit more bodyfat. I want to keep my current weight or perhaps gain up to around 175.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by goranothos; 12-05-2010 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added my current weight

kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000) kademrulz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good job on stopping the drinking. Also good on the lifting. But why wait to post pics? You can get a lot of motivation from seeing improvements but if there are no "before" pics there really can't be any "after" pics to compare.

����������

pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck with everything
    I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good for you!

About 10 months ago when I decided to get serious about weight loss, I had to give up my booze. I've been a heavy drinker for years and years. I just loved my alcohol/beer. Now I maybe have a drink once a month and it's not even all that enjoyable. And - I'm a better role model to my kids. Can't beat that!

JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by goranothos View Post
    In order to realize my goals of 10% (or less) bodyfat, and for my health in general, I *must* stop drinking alcohol, so.....I did, starting now.

I'm 44, 5'8", 166lbs, 14% bodyfat (according to my Omron hand held). I've always been "active" (running & bicycling mostly), but about eight months ago, I started lifting in the gym with my nephew, who was/is far more knowledgable than I was/am. I was pathetically weak at first, but made good "noob gains". I'm now up to 200lb bench, 225lb barbell squats (deep), and 300lb deadlifts. All this while paying only moderate attention to my diet and drinking way too much wine every week. I now realize that, if I want to get rid of the rest of my belly fat and continue to gain muscle I need to get my diet under control and cut out the alcohol.

I have tried moderation and it doesn't work for me. If I have a glass or two, I just want more and will continue until I have drank five or six (or more). The only solution for me is complete abstinance. So, starting immediately, no more booze and my diet will be much more strict.

Not real sure why I am posting this, other than I just want to make my goals and my resolution public. I have lurked in this forum for the last eight months, and have learned a great deal. I'll post some Bodyspace pics when I drop a bit more bodyfat. I want to keep my current weight or perhaps gain up to around 175.

Thanks for reading!
    Thanks for sharing and good luck with your goals. It helps to verbalize your goals. It makes you feel more accountable. Best wishes.
    "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground outside of the Lord's will. So do not be afraid, or worry, for you are worth much more than many sparrows."

"Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and the rest shall be given to you as well."

goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Yes, I believe it helps to have some public accountability. Sometimes a person just has to take a long look at their habits and behavior, find what is wrong, and change it. When you have a bad habit, I find it is easy to rationalize reasons to continue, and certainly (in the case of alcohol and cigarettes) the manufacturers want to downplay the bad effects of their products.

I love going to the gym. It is actually my favorite part of the day. I go straight there after work, and feel great after working out. I've gotten to know many of the regulars there on a first name basis, and appreciate it when they give me advice.

Older But Getting Better Old Bob's Avatar
    Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by goranothos View Post
    I love going to the gym. It is actually my favorite part of the day. I go straight there after work, and feel great after working out. I've gotten to know many of the regulars there on a first name basis, and appreciate it when they give me advice.
    Your next big hurdle will be realizing that Rome wasn't built in a day and it will probably take a lot longer than you realize to get past those initial gains where your muscle memory was so helpful.

Putting on more than about 10 pounds of actual muscle a year after that first few months can be daunting but if you stay with it you'll get where you want to be.

Patience is the hardest part in my opinion. It seems that every time I set a goal it takes 3-4 times longer than I expected to achieve it but guess what? I have achieved them all so far!

8% body fat is my latest and I can tell you that this one will be the toughest yet but guess what? I'll get there or hell will freeze over first... Count on it!

Old Bob... One Day at a Time
    Getting Old Ain't For Sissys... ;)

Eat to Live... Don't Live to Eat!!!

1951 Body by Gold's Gym and a LOT of Blood, Sweat, and Tears...

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good for you OP
    Dont be surprised if some folks come in here and tell you that not drinking isn't needed.
    You have already found what is required for you, so stick to it.

On paper moderate alcohol consumption may not be harmful and may even be beneficial.
    But if you can't moderate it and it is problematic, then your doing the right thing by eliminating it.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I used to drink like a sailor, then I quit cold turkey for many years. Now I can actually have single good IPA once a week and maybe a glass of wine with dinner here and there, and not crave anymore than that. Hope all works out for you.

TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Best wishes on your new path and continued success.
    Be well and breathe deep.