dgafloboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Small Chest, big strength.

I've done 315 for reps of 3 on bench recently and can flye big boy weights with food form. I've followed the Arnold blueprint and the Jay cut and the Jim stopponi but I can ever grow my chest or shape it. Any tips? My strength is always goin up but I don't feel my size is proportional

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dgafloboy View Post
    I've done 315 for reps of 3 on bench recently and can flye big boy weights with food form. I've followed the Arnold blueprint and the Jay cut and the Jim stopponi but I can ever grow my chest or shape it. Any tips? My strength is always goin up but I don't feel my size is proportional
    Stop focusing on how much you can lift (other than to track progression) and start focusing on feeling the work in the target muscles.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000)
    Size is but one variable influencing strength. If you are doing sets of 3 you are on a strength program and not a hypertrophy program. If aesthetics is what you're after, you're doing it wrong.
    Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd Edition
    No other book ever written provides such detailed instruction on every aspect of the basic barbell exercises.

Print: https://amzn.com/0982522738
    eBook: https://amzn.com/B006XJR5ZA

frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10) frenchplonka is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    Size is but one variable influencing strength. If you are doing sets of 3 you are on a strength program and not a hypertrophy program. If aesthetics is what you're after, you're doing it wrong.
    Are u saying he is doing a program that does not give the cover model physique and is more focused on power/lifting kinda strong man body type?

If so im doing it wrong also so if you could point me in the right direction id be grateful

3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. pics
    2. video of bench form

U cant fly "big boy" weights with "food form" unless u have super developed chest ( or super good insertions, but thats unlikely )

amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by frenchplonka View Post
    Are u saying he is doing a program that does not give the cover model physique and is more focused on power/lifting kinda strong man body type?

If so im doing it wrong also so if you could point me in the right direction id be grateful
    RMs are associated with training goals. You can use the chart below to see what training outcome is emphasized at a certain RM. The training benefits are blended at any given RM. So just because you're working in a hypertrophy rep range doesn't mean you're not also building strength, and vice-versa. However, working in a hypertrophy rep range will emphasize hypertrophy more so than strength. (The larger the font, the more that training goal is emphasized by the given rep range).

OP is giving his 3RM. As you can see from the chart, sets of 3 are not optimal if the training goal is hypertrophy (aka size).
    No other book ever written provides such detailed instruction on every aspect of the basic barbell exercises.

TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by frenchplonka View Post

Just want to point out that the information you are reading is intended for someone who can rep 315 for 3..
    A beginner doesn't not need to be as specified with his/her training, I would prefer to see a beginner be more focused in strength training as their foundation and take the "side effect" size gains. As time goes on, those side effect gains diminish and one may look for more specific training and how to use training periodization for continuous well rounded growth.
    Oct 2013- 4th Place Novice, 5th place Open NPC NY Grand Prix
    May 2015- 2nd Place Musclemania New England

Originally Posted by TJP33 View Post
    Just want to point out that the information you are reading is intended for someone who can rep 315 for 3..
    A beginner doesn't not need to be as specified with his/her training, I would prefer to see a beginner be more focused in strength training as their foundation and take the "side effect" size gains. As time goes on, those side effect gains diminish and one may look for more specific training and how to use training periodization for continuous well rounded growth.
    True story. After completing a good novice program one can worry about the specifics.

StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10) StefanEm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Look at people who can bench 3 plates (OmarIsuf for example), they usually don't have Arnold sized chest.
    Especially since ur training in the 3RM range, which gives more neuromuscular benefits than muscle size.

This is what u should do:
    1. Drop the weights
    2. Higher reps (8-12), more volume
    3. shorter rest periods (60-90 sec)
    4. Full ROM
    5. Add exercises that give max stretch of the muscle (Guillotine press, pullovers, flys)
    6. Slow down the speed, increasing Time Under Tension
    7. Focus on using the muscle u want to grow
    8. Eccentric movement gives greatest muscle damage, slow down the eccentric portion of the lift.
    9. Profit
    On my youtube channel I post videos on FIERCE 5 routine, nutrition, putting on strength and size.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC37qMduo-LpchhcyO5ih6Vg

TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    before we get to carried away with suggestions- how about the basics, are you eating enough to grow? are you gaining weight? hows progression going on benching- compare to progression elsewhere..

Most trouble comes from the basics of nutrition and simple training methods. The other stuff can be helpful, but never overlook the basics.
    Oct 2013- 4th Place Novice, 5th place Open NPC NY Grand Prix
    May 2015- 2nd Place Musclemania New England

before we get to carried away with suggestions- how about the basics, are you eating enough to grow? are you gaining weight? hows progression going on benching- compare to progression elsewhere..

Most trouble comes from the basics of nutrition and simple training methods. The other stuff can be helpful, but never overlook the basics.
    Isn't the average training age of competitive bodybuilders something like 10+ years? OP may also be expecting too much too soon seeing how he's "only" 23.

Thanks too all the tips and suggestions, I really appreciate the info. I guess I gotta admit to myself that I do worry about my strength too much. My normal work outs usually have a rep range of 8-12 with what I deem a full ROM. But, at the end of the work out I tend to start loading plates. I don't max every workout but I end up going heavy just to reassure my fragile lifters ego. Hah but in all seriousness, I haven't really ever given bench variations (guillotine bench) a run for its money. Tomorrow's chest day and I'll focus on a slower rep. Any more advice is really appreciated.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Could be good muscle insertions, it's not that uncommon.

How much were you benching about 3 months after you started lifting OP?

The other thing is leanness. If you carry fat in your midsection (esp. on upper abs), it will make your pecs far less defined than in somebody who is leaner.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Could be good muscle insertions, it's not that uncommon.
    ^^^^This.

Coupled with genetically-gifted 'ideal' bone lengths, muscle insertions (as well as fiber-type-makeup) can provide advantageous leverages for being able to move a lot of weight without having a lot of muscle mass.

The way around it? Do some structured experimenting with rep ranges; don't get locked into the old, '5 reps for strength, 12 reps for size' mantra so often parroted on internet forums. We're certainly not all built exactly alike, and the specific prescription of training that works for one person won't necessarily do anything at all for someone else.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz

These threads are typically filled with all kinds of great advice from a myriad of intelligent perspectives, but it is pretty easy to overlook basics and assume OP is eating appropriately.

Maybe OP has been eating maintenance for 6 months with 80 grams of protein...
    Experience, not just theory

I've always been pretty strong. At 16 I hit 225 for 1 in football training camp. I tore my ACL, stopped football (in turn stopped lifting). I started back up when I was 19 and by 20 I was reppin 225. I can hit 225 for about 18-20 reps right now. I've been working out longer than I care to admit and I know my form is pretty good.

I eat pretty decent. I'll admit that I haven't been as discipline with my diet but I do eat about 180 grams of protein.

t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000)

I eat pretty decent. I'll admit that I haven't been as discipline with my diet but I do eat about 180 grams of protein.
    You may find that by not tracking consistently you have more variation in your macro composition and energy balance than you initially thought.
    Last edited by t8rtot; 08-04-2016 at 07:44 AM.

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    I've always been pretty strong. At 16 I hit 225 for 1 in football training camp. I tore my ACL, stopped football (in turn stopped lifting). I started back up when I was 19 and by 20 I was reppin 225. I can hit 225 for about 18-20 reps right now. I've been working out longer than I care to admit and I know my form is pretty good.

I bolded and underlined part of that for a reason...

Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thebunz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Where is pic of said small chest?

Anyways bro, probably utilizing other muscles to execute the lift. Bring down the weights some and work on getting that mind muscle connection. Also, Flyes for days. Besides that, get that diet down. You wont do chit without it.

If it doesn't want to grow, make it grow.

Originally Posted by Thebunz View Post
    If it doesn't want to grow, make it grow.

are you gaining weight?
    are you gaining weight?

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Maybe OP has been eating maintenance
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    I bolded and underlined part of that for a reason...

I'm trying to post a pic but I'm on my droid turbo 2 and can't figure it out

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It does sound to me like you've got leverage advantages. So it's entirely possible the pec muscle is no bigger than another guy who can bench say 220-250. Combine that with possibly not being as lean as you might think (most of us underestimate how much fat we carry) and that would explain everything.

Certainly I don't think you need to stop trying to get stronger but you could add some other chest movements to complement the bench press and round out the muscle development - such as the Bayesian cable fly.

KingK1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think you need to get a better mind muscle connection...you could be doing a lot of 315 with your delts and tris-not saying you are but you could be.