NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up Move up and make room for a little one...

Hello all - move up and make room for a little one :-)

I know I've left it a bit late to begin this at 46 but hey-ho better late than never eh?

I decided I'd had enough of being lardy in August last year so started making an effort to eat less and lose weight and as part of that started enthusiastically swinging an old set of dumbbells around once a week. I was surprised at how my body responded and I was able to lose 3 stone (42lbs) and my waist size went down by 8 inches. At Christmas I decided to give the weights proper attention and got a used set and a bench/squat rack and began lifting more regularly. That's when I realised that a lifetime of pen-pushing had left me weak as a new born kitten.

I'm currently working on a whole body, compound lift program 3 days per week to build some strength up with some accessory work on my "off" days (rotator cuff/bicep etc). I intend on reaching my 50th birthday in better shape than I was in my 20's - which won't be hard because I was a lazy git whose main exercise back then was lifting a pint.

Here's a progress picture so far - on the left I had already lost a bit of weight and was at about 194lbs (Oh how I hated those moobs!!!) and on the right as I am currently (174lbs).

I feel I've got my nutrition pretty well sorted now which has been a challenge because I am a gout sufferer but have been able to work up to around 1.25 - 1.5g protein per lb lean body mass without too many ill effects.

Looking forward to chatting on the forum.

Cheers
    Steve
    Attached Images

Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Floyd64 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi Angus.
    Just joined myself btw
    You're looking pretty good already for somebody who's belatedly taken up bodybuilding. Honestly, stick at what you're doing now and you will reach those goals. Good luck bud
    Follow my journal here https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176901251

"Home, home again.I like to be here when I can. And when I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones beside the fire".

NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Floyd64 View Post
    Hi Angus.
    Just joined myself btw
    You're looking pretty good already for somebody who's belatedly taken up bodybuilding. Honestly, stick at what you're doing now and you will reach those goals. Good luck bud
    Thanks Floyd - and welcome from one newbie to another!