BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000)

Please help me with my pitching.

I like to pitch these: 4-seamer, 2-seamer, a palmball, and sparingly a knucklecurve. I tested my fastball today and I hit 55mph about 5 times 57mph twice and my fastest was a 58. First of all, how do I compare to other players my age (14)? What are some exercises/drills I can do to increase my speed? Also, I want to know how much I can practice without injury.

hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    its a little below average for an allstar level league but as long as u hit your spots and use complementary pitches, you'll be ok
    Semper Hungry

Robby_ #52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Robby_ #52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd get that checked again, cuz I think an 8th grader who plays baseball regularly would throw more. On of my friends is in 8th and throws around 80 something. I threw 46-49 in 3rd or 4th grade when I tested it at a semi-pro league game.

BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, I know it is under average. I just wanted to see how far below. I don't know if it is accurate b/c I did it at the Detroit Tigers' game.
    They lost. I just wanted to know if you guys knew any exercises I can do to increase it. I have never actually pitched before, I have just started practicing this year but I have played baseball since I was 6.

bump

Robby_ #52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Robby_ #52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Our pitching coach says that most the power in pitching doesn't come from your arm, but your posterior chain. Basically he was meaning your @$$ muscles. They are what you use to push off from the mound. So alot of squatting, deadlifting, and GHR's would help alot on the speed of your pitches. Also working your shoulders, triceps, and forearms could help.

UCTballer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool from a catcher

i am a catcher but i also used to pitch when i was younger, i clocked at 88 on our teams radar gun this past year. The best advice i can give you is to play long toss. Find someone else on your team that wants a strong arm and throw for 15 min a day. Make sure you are still throwing on a line (not lobbing the ball) but go as far as you can. As you build up distance your arms will also get stronger and faster from closer distances. Good luck guys.

LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i throw about 75 off of a mound and i play in a league against 18 yr olds. i throw the hardest in my league well mayber second there seems to be a debate there. the hardest throwing kid i know in high school baseball around here throws about 86. at your age i could throw 60. but i mean thats not that bad. heed the advice of the above and you'll do fine. do just what he said. but dont LOB the ball throw on a line. and a strong core = a fast baseball

What is like an average speed for position players?

UCTballer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

college catcher perspective

Another thought for your pitching career, especially for younger guys. Everyone puts pressure on throwing hard and harder, but some dudes just dont have the natural arm. I face guys in our conference that throw much slower than others but they hit spots with consistency and are even more effective. For high school i would concentrate on throwing no more than a FB, CB and CHG but practice hard at keeping the ball down (at the knees, in the zone) and take pride in hitting all your spots (inside and out) you can be just as successful as a flame thrower. Getting better at hitting spots comes from concentrating on every throw on the mound and flat ground. Good luck.

LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LookinToGetBig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by rottengazebo
    What is like an average speed for position players?
    this ranges a LOT. and what level are you talking... age group wise... or do you mean mlb. cuz i know a shortstop who could thro 88-90 mph in the mlb. they actually one time subbed him in to pitch right from short stop! LOL like a little league game!

TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good to see some more baseball players in here, seeing as how 19/20 threads are football related its nice to see some change. I'm currently the closer for my summer league team. I'm dealing around 91-93 right now with decent control. I'm throwing a FB, changeup, curveball, and cutter. I'm thinking of ditching the changeup or cutter and putting in another breaking pitch in my aresnal (knuckle or slider).

Anyways, I'm just on a regular powerlifting routine right now. I use percentage charts for my workouts and of course I throw in some auxilaries. The best thing I can recommend is just throw throw throw.

RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000) RangerX is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Find someone with pitching knowledge to teach you proper mechanics, which in time will increase your velocity. As Trojan said, keep throwing, and make sure to ice your arm always. You definately want to work on your leg routine, and core strength... this will only provide more ease when learning to throw with your body.

If you throw all arm, and never learn proper mechanics, you will eventually ruin your shoulder. You don't want to go there, trust me. Torn labrums and rotator cuffs are killer to your career.

-RangerX

kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    2 words... long toss
    UniqueNutrition Representative
    www.uniquenutrition.net
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/uniq/uniq.htm

Disclaimer: The above statement is my own opinion and does not reflect the official position of Unique Nutrition.
    -----------------------------------------
    When I get under the bar, I don't worry about dropping the weight...because it's not going to happen

TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanSC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just thought I'd throw it out there but I'm pitching tonight .

le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) le.goon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Agreed...long toss. And the above post has a good point, you don't need to throw hard to be an effective pitcher. Location and control are key ingriedients to succesful pitching. besides...the faster it goes in the faster it goes out. you're young, you have plenty of time to develope. Mechanics are also a big factor. The right mechanics go a long long long way. good luck to you youngin.

Originally Posted by LookinToGetBig
    this ranges a LOT. and what level are you talking... age group wise... or do you mean mlb. cuz i know a shortstop who could thro 88-90 mph in the mlb. they actually one time subbed him in to pitch right from short stop! LOL like a little league game!
    Both I guess. I play all the outfield positions as well as 2b and 1b. Does anyone know how fast Pudge can throw?

Originally Posted by TrojanSC
    Good to see some more baseball players in here, seeing as how 19/20 threads are football related its nice to see some change. I'm currently the closer for my summer league team. I'm dealing around 91-93 right now with decent control. I'm throwing a FB, changeup, curveball, and cutter. I'm thinking of ditching the changeup or cutter and putting in another breaking pitch in my aresnal (knuckle or slider).

Anyways, I'm just on a regular powerlifting routine right now. I use percentage charts for my workouts and of course I throw in some auxilaries. The best thing I can recommend is just throw throw throw.
    Would it be possible to PM me a workout routine?

aj3b2b has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    check out the workouts in the bodybuilding database...give the criteria you want for baseball and you are bound to find something...pitching workouts, etc...long toss, long toss, long toss, squat, deadlift, squat, and do light rotator cuff workouts (2 and a half pound weights)...I am a succesful pitcher at the D3 level and i throw 83 with a decent curve, good splitter and change....you are young so don't start throwin a bunch of junk to hurt your arm this early in your career...your speeds aren't bad...just hit your spots and you'll be fine...a lot of other college baseball guys on here will tell you it's easier to hit a 90 mph straight fastball than it is to hit an 82 mph devastating 2 seamer...

Originally Posted by aj3b2b
    check out the workouts in the bodybuilding database...give the criteria you want for baseball and you are bound to find something...pitching workouts, etc...long toss, long toss, long toss, squat, deadlift, squat, and do light rotator cuff workouts (2 and a half pound weights)...I am a succesful pitcher at the D3 level and i throw 83 with a decent curve, good splitter and change....you are young so don't start throwin a bunch of junk to hurt your arm this early in your career...your speeds aren't bad...just hit your spots and you'll be fine...a lot of other college baseball guys on here will tell you it's easier to hit a 90 mph straight fastball than it is to hit an 82 mph devastating 2 seamer...
    I looked but found nothing.

aj3b2b has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.monte.wednet.edu/sports/b...rs_workout.htm

http://www.pitching.com/article_6.php

home.greenwich.k12.ct.us/ghs/athletics/baseball/files/pitcher_workout.doc

just google search, u'll be good to go...there are so many different routines

Well actually I need more of a power hitters routine.

What if I list exercises I like to do and maybe someone can tell me the reps and sets b/c I am no good at making routines.

UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What if I list exercises I like to do and maybe someone can tell me the reps and sets b/c I am no good at making routines.
    For a weight routine, I would start with a program similar to Joe DeFrancos Westside for Skinny Bastards: http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...s_westside.htm

As for your pitching speed, the best way to develop a fastball is to throw a fastball. Judging from your age, I assume that you're a rising freshman. If you throw strikes in freshman ball, you will be successful. Guys at that level get themselves out the majority of the time. You can find all types of info for pitching over at www.thecompletepitcher.com

Originally Posted by UNCheelsfan07
    For a weight routine, I would start with a program similar to Joe DeFrancos Westside for Skinny Bastards: http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...s_westside.htm

As for your pitching speed, the best way to develop a fastball is to throw a fastball. Judging from your age, I assume that you're a rising freshman. If you throw strikes in freshman ball, you will be successful. Guys at that level get themselves out the majority of the time. You can find all types of info for pitching over at www.thecompletepitcher.com
    Is 58 low for a freshman? Now that I think about it, it does seem low b/c on the Little League World Series they throw a lot faster than that. What size field do they use? I play on regulation size.

UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UNCheelsfan07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is 58 low for a freshman? Now that I think about it, it does seem low b/c on the Little League World Series they throw a lot faster than that. What size field do they use? I play on regulation size.
    This chart won't exactly tell you the average velocity for your age, but it will give you and idea of where you need to be by your senior year.

"I'm always asked, "How hard should I be throwing for my age" questions, so I thought I'd chart pitching velocities here. How do you rank?

Good high school senior, 77-80 mph
    Excellent high school senior, 81-84 mph
    Outstanding high school senior, 85-87 mph
    Superior high school senior, 88-89 mph
    Good major league, 90-91 mph
    Excellent major league, 92-94 mph
    Outstanding major league, 95-97 mph
    Superior major league, 98+ mph"

This is from Steven Ellis' blog from thecompletepitcher.com from March 17

dirtmerchant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dirtmerchant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TrojanSC
    I'm thinking of ditching the changeup or cutter and putting in another breaking pitch in my aresnal (knuckle or slider).
    *cries* The changeup is the best pitch in baseball. Not bragging here...Im 1st team All-Region(Northern Region Virginia), I hit .493 this year. Youre gonna get more hitters out with a changeup than with any other pitch. Any pretty good hitter can tell the difference between a fastball and a curveball just by the rotation...but if you throw a 85-87 mph fastball, followed by a 78 mph changeup that looks exactly the same as the previous pitch youre either gonna get the guy to swing 43598743 seconds early, or hes gonna roll the ball over to the 1st/3rd basemen.

Also, sadly I didnt get to face the guy...but theres a high school senior in the Northwest region of Virginia who hit 101 on the gun this past week. (this thread talks about it further if youre interested http://virginiapreps.rivals.com/show...tyle=2&Reset=1 )

Semi-related note...every one of the Aubrurn Tigers infielders can throw the ball 90+mph to first baseconsistantly...yet only one of their pitchers can hit 90 consistantly.
    Max's as of 2/20/06...

Flat bench: 205
    Incline bench: 180
    Shoulder Press: 170
    Squat: 300
    Deadlift: 335

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=797256

^^Journal if anyone cares/is interested

Bradleydharley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Long Toss

I am also 14, I throw in the low 80's with the same pitches except for the palm ball. I throw a circle change. To strengthen my arm I have always long tossed at least once a week.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    hey, you resurrected a 7 year old thread to pitch your crap product.