Registered User SpintingForLife's Avatar
    SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Overdosing on Vitamins

Is it possible to overdose on vitamins and minerals by eating too many veggies? I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and am worried about overdosing on vitamins.

For example, 1 bell pepper has 250% of the RDA for vit C and 1 orange has 160% the for vit C. If I eat 1 bell pepper and 2 oranges through out the day I'm getting 570% of the RDA for vit C. Add in a couple other fruits and veggies and I'm easily getting 800% of the RDA for vit C daily. I'm intaking similar amounts of vitamins A, B, and K as well on a daily basis.

Am I harming my self by ingesting several times the RDA for most nutrients?

Alpha As Fuking Fuk bigdogfarmhand's Avatar
    bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Don't do it. It will make you
    Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.

SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^^^^^^^
    lol wut?

bump

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes and no.

Overdose is a word I think of when I think of acute toxicity and damage. Eating a a lot of vegetables isn't going to cause something like this.

As a general rule, a prolonged megadose of vitamins will likely give you suboptimal health compared to taking a moderate dose when supplementing vitamins. But you can't realistically megadose on vitamins from natural food sources unless you're going to binge on polar bear liver or something like that.

Remember that the %s you see are based on the RDAs for vitamins and minerals. There's a wide range between deficiency and toxicity for a vitamin.

What exactly do RDA's represent? Do RDA's represent the minimum amount of a nutrient required to avoid deficiency, the optimal amount required for health, or the limit for a certain nutrient.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    ADE&K are the fat soluable vitamins. They are the ones you should be careful about, especially if supplementing with certain vitamin supplements.

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SpintingForLife View Post
    What exactly do RDA's represent? Do RDA's represent the minimum amount of a nutrient required to avoid deficiency, the optimal amount required for health, or the limit for a certain nutrient.
    OP, go here and read this report front to back http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/Ess...uideNutReq.pdf

come back with questions if you have any.

If the vitamin A in plant foods are carotenoids which the body doesn't directly absorb but instead uses to form vit A when needed, does that mean its impossible to overdose on vit A through diet?

ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If the vitamin A in plant foods are carotenoids which the body doesn't directly absorb but instead uses to form vit A when needed, does that mean its impossible to overdose on vit A through diet?
    No, it's definately possible. Haven't you ever heard of people turning orange from eating too many carrots? True story.
    MMDELAD

ACE Certified Personal Trainer since 2007.

Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Is it possible to overdose on vitamins and minerals by eating too many veggies? I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and am worried about overdosing on vitamins.

For example, 1 bell pepper has 250% of the RDA for vit C and 1 orange has 160% the for vit C. If I eat 1 bell pepper and 2 oranges through out the day I'm getting 570% of the RDA for vit C. Add in a couple other fruits and veggies and I'm easily getting 800% of the RDA for vit C daily. I'm intaking similar amounts of vitamins A, B, and K as well on a daily basis.

Am I harming my self by ingesting several times the RDA for most nutrients?
    A few hundred/thousand % RDA of the water soluble vitamins is totally fine and even normal in well-nourished individuals.

Originally Posted by foodandfitness View Post
    Yes and no.

Overdose is a word I think of when I think of acute toxicity and damage. Eating a a lot of vegetables isn't going to cause something like this.

As a general rule, a prolonged megadose of vitamins will likely give you suboptimal health compared to taking a moderate dose when supplementing vitamins. But you can't realistically megadose on vitamins from natural food sources unless you're going to binge on polar bear liver or something like that.

Remember that the %s you see are based on the RDAs for vitamins and minerals. There's a wide range between deficiency and toxicity for a vitamin.
    Virtually all cases of hypervitaminosis are chronic

You can overdose on anything in nature, therefore you can overdose on any vitamin.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ELLSKIES View Post
    No, it's definately possible. Haven't you ever heard of people turning orange from eating too many carrots? True story.
    this is true^ happened to me from sweet potatoes and pumpkin
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    LOLOLOL; happens to the best of us. )
    MMDELAD

ACE Certified Personal Trainer since 2007.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ELLSKIES View Post
    LOLOLOL; happens to the best of us. )
    ppl ALWAYS asked me why my hands looked orange lol
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100)

Talking

the RDI is very cautious amounts

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    Happened to me with cucumbers! What an affliction that is!

Originally Posted by rand18m View Post
    Happened to me with cucumbers! What an affliction that is!
    lol wut?

Did you turn green?