Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

thoughts on standing preacher

I like the idea of a two sided preacher- kind of spider curls on one side and regular on other.
    I have only used a seated preacher- curious to thoughts on a standing unit from anyone that owns or used one. do you like it better than seated? no difference?

downside of this unit is that it will take up a bit more space. Also I know valor is not considered the best brand by far- but it looks decent enough..

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by grumpytude View Post
    I like the idea of a two sided preacher- kind of spider curls on one side and regular on other.
    I have only used a seated preacher- curious to thoughts on a standing unit from anyone that owns or used one. do you like it better than seated? no difference?

downside of this unit is that it will take up a bit more space. Also I know valor is not considered the best brand by far- but it looks decent enough..

If you have a tall enough chair you can do both!

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I use one at my local gym, and it's a bit too tall for me, even on the shortest setting my feet leave the ground just to get into position to begin a set. I'm 5'8", so not exactly a manlet. Looking at this, doesn't look like there's even height adjustment, and that grip portion on the cross beam tells me they know of the issues I just described.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think they're a bit more versatile than a seated, but it really comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't get one without a height adjustment though.

grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yes a height adjustment would be nice- I'm 6ft. so not sure it would be an issue.
    I could always use a couple extra lifting mats I suppose if needed. I'll give it a bit more thought I guess

tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tical523 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a Icarian standing preacher and prefer it over a seated version. I've had a couple seated ones cybex, proelite, and body masters. I find the standing to be a more comfortable and you have better leverage. The Icarian one is huge though if Duplicitous didn't beat me out for the Star Trac standing that was listed I maybe would have swapped the Icarian out...

tough to find a standing unit that serves double duty as spider and preacher that doesn't take-up too much room or cost too much I suppose.
    Like the look of the hoist- but its around $800 new. Is it worth the extra $500 for adjustable height? not sure. Also not sure it will fit through normal doorway to get into gym. Looks like a solid base

this looks good too- but pricey
    https://www.roguefitness.com/reflex-...adjustable-arm

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I prefer a standing preacher, don't really care too much about the flat/spider curl side, nice option though. I feel with a standing I can get my hips forward into a stronger position and isolate a little better. A little easier to cheat through failure at the end of the set on the standing IMO. Having said that, unless space just isn't an issue it really only does one thing. I'd go with a seated for home for the simple reason that I can use it as a short backed utility seat for things like military presses and seated overhead dumbbell or barbell extensions. Also if you get one with more of a pedestal seat you can use it inside a trap bar to do seated trap raises. Just my two cents.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthred.php?t=1713641&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post162857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthred.php?t=12069181

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    I prefer a standing preacher, don't really care too much about the flat/spider curl side, nice option though. I feel with a standing I can get my hips forward into a stronger position and isolate a little better. A little easier to cheat through failure at the end of the set on the standing IMO. Having said that, unless space just isn't an issue it really only does one thing. I'd go with a seated for home for the simple reason that I can use it as a short backed utility seat for things like military presses and seated overhead dumbbell or barbell extensions. Also if you get one with more of a pedestal seat you can use it inside a trap bar to do seated trap raises. Just my two cents.
    yes, preacher benches are sort of a one trick pony-I would use it for reverse curls too, but yes its limited in its use. still, for me I think it would be nice to have one in the gym if possible. I'll keep looking around to see if there is anything available peaks my interest.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tical523 View Post
    I have a Icarian standing preacher and prefer it over a seated version. I've had a couple seated ones cybex, proelite, and body masters. I find the standing to be a more comfortable and you have better leverage. The Icarian one is huge though if Duplicitous didn't beat me out for the Star Trac standing that was listed I maybe would have swapped the Icarian out...
    There appear to be a lot of us in this area vying for equipment.

alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    tough to find a standing unit that serves double duty as spider and preacher that doesn't take-up too much room or cost too much I suppose.
    Like the look of the hoist- but its around $800 new. Is it worth the extra $500 for adjustable height? not sure. Also not sure it will fit through normal doorway to get into gym. Looks like a solid base

this looks good too- but pricey
    https://www.roguefitness.com/reflex-...adjustable-arm
    Hey Grump, i have that exact same one from Hoist. It is expensive, but it is really well made. The pad goes really low and really high. Having both sides different, one 45 and the other one upright. I prefer doing my preacher curls standing rather than seated, It is a very versatile preacher bench. You can do two arm preacher curls with dumbbells and ez bar, one arm dumbbell preacher curls and the same thing with the upright side. I also use it for standing arm supported incline curls back on the incline pad. I also use it for tricep work and cable preacher... i really like it, it has a small footprint and it is easy to move around the gym.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #54 []---[]

My own home gym evolution thread with pics of my gym

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174506581&p=1514272741&posted=1#post1514272741

Originally Posted by alexthaman View Post
    Hey Grump, i have that exact same one from Hoist. It is expensive, but it is really well made. The pad goes really low and really high. Having both sides different, one 45 and the other one upright. I prefer doing my preacher curls standing rather than seated, It is a very versatile preacher bench. You can do two arm preacher curls with dumbbells and ez bar, one arm dumbbell preacher curls and the same thing with the upright side. I also use it for standing arm supported incline curls back on the incline pad. I also use it for tricep work and cable preacher... i really like it, it has a small footprint and it is easy to move around the gym.
    good insight into the piece, thanks. Seems you've found a few things utilizing the piece. It does look well built from the pictures I have seen. Looking at the measurements it should fit through a standard doorway if flipped. Of course its more than I wanted to spend, so we'll see. I do have a hammer preacher- but can't really do much with any dumbbell /barbell work without hitting the handles. I like to mix it up too, dumbbell, straight, ez, cable work.

alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    good insight into the piece, thanks. Seems you've found a few things utilizing the piece. It does look well built from the pictures I have seen. Looking at the measurements it should fit through a standard doorway if flipped. Of course its more than I wanted to spend, so we'll see. I do have a hammer preacher- but can't really do much with any dumbbell /barbell work without hitting the handles.
    It comes in a box, all disassembled into pieces with easy to follow instructions so it would fit anywhere really easily!
    Last edited by alexthaman; 12-04-2020 at 02:24 PM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #54 []---[]

My own home gym evolution thread with pics of my gym

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174506581&p=1514272741&posted=1#post1514272741

Originally Posted by alexthaman View Post
    It comes in a box, all desassembled into pieces with easy to follow instructions so it would fit anywhere really easily!
    well thats good to know, thanks for the info!

BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd get that standing double sided one over a standard preacher bench...... The spider curl functionality makes it so worth it imo.... a typical preacher puts the stress of the exercise at the bottom of the movement, whereas flipping and doing spider curls on the other side put the stress of the exercise at the top of the movement which I think is better overall... but then again, my favorite type of preacher is either leverage, machine, or cable. Never been a fan of you standard barbell or ez bar preacher curl.

I wouldn't mind a seated preacher if the pad would adjust with different angles. That would eliminate the need to have two separate sides on the unit.

another valor with adjustable pad- but obviously kinda cheap in build.

https://valorfitness.com/products/va...ength-training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7dhSre4J0
    Last edited by grumpytude; 12-04-2020 at 03:32 PM.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I wouldn't mind a seated preacher if the pad would adjust with different angles. That would eliminate the need to have two separate sides on the unit.

another valor with adjustable pad- but obviously kinda cheap in build.
    That seat looks like a bdsm sex dungeon torture device.

Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
    You sound like you speak from experience.

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    You sound like you speak from experience.
    I live and work in Las Vegas

I live and work in Las Vegas
    Touché!

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Only if you turn it upside down.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthred.php?t=1713641&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post162857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthred.php?t=12069181

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    Only if you turn it upside down.
    You might want to google "bondage horse", actually, don't do it.

POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I grew up using a standing preacher, so it feels a lot more comfortable and natural to me. My dad built it from scratch in the 80s when he first built our home gym.

[QUOTE=POTA;1624565021]I grew up using a standing preacher, so it feels a lot more comfortable and natural to me. My dad built it from scratch in the 80s when he first built our home gym.

good job your dad did- not much of a home gym market I assume in the 80s.

still looking around- even though the valor CB11 has the funky seat- don't think it will be much of an issue when using it if I am standing.
    It seems like it will get the job done

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    [QUOTE=grumpytude;1624579551]
    Originally Posted by POTA View Post
    I grew up using a standing preacher, so it feels a lot more comfortable and natural to me. My dad built it from scratch in the 80s when he first built our home gym.

good job your dad did- not much of a home gym market I assume in the 80s.

still looking around- even though the valor CB11 has the funky seat- don't think it will be much of an issue when using it if I am standing.
    It seems like it will get the job done
    Valor Fitness stuff is many steps below Body Solid. Walmart quality pads.

[QUOTE=Greybird2;1624585481]

Valor Fitness stuff is many steps below Body Solid. Walmart quality pads.
    yeah I figured. I'm not really looking for top of the line, but don't want it to fall apart anytime soon either. I'll keep looking around I guess. we'll see

Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Grumpy, I purchased a Valor standing preacher about two months ago. It so far gets the job done. Plenty of room for spider curls. I’m 6’1 and it fits me fine. My home gym has pretty much 90% commercial equipment and the Valor one blends right in. Just a question, saw in earlier posts you have a Legend Plate Loaded leg extension/leg curl. What are your thoughts on it?

Originally Posted by Icarian5150 View Post
    Hey Grumpy, I purchased a Valor standing preacher about two months ago. It so far gets the job done. Plenty of room for spider curls. I’m 6’1 and it fits me fine. My home gym has pretty much 90% commercial equipment and the Valor one blends right in. Just a question, saw in earlier posts you have a Legend Plate Loaded leg extension/leg curl. What are your thoughts on it?
    do you have the two sided CB11 or the cheaper CB6?
    I actually sold the Legend last year. Build quality was outstanding. There are no adjustments on the pads or the seat. For some this could be an issue depending on their height. I think if the seat was adjustable it would have helped for the leg curls.

Leg extensions were good, but for leg curls, like other units with similar setups- the tension is non-existent after the halfway mark of the exercise. i assume all plate loaded machines like this experience the same thing. Overall a good piece and built like a tank. In the meantime I ended up getting a body solid seated leg curl/leg extension. Say what you will about bodysoid but the seated leg curls burn my hamstrings big time. Constant tension throughout the exercise.Sure it doesn't have the same build quality as the Legend but for the meantime it works.

Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I actually have the CB-5 Arm Curl Station. The cheapest commercial grade standing ones I could find are all $800 used, and to be honest are very limited in quantity. Thanks for the info on the Legend Plate loaded extension/curl. I’ve heard that before about the resistance regarding prone leg curls.

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Personally, I wouldn't waste money on a standing or sitting preacher. I've got a sitting Sorinex unit that adjusts, but I rarely use it.... more for flat bench forearm work than actually used as a preacher. It's a nice piece, just used a lot less than I expected.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]