Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)

Portable deadlift platform?

Hey y’all

So my gym is largely kitted out, and I’m looking at details now. One thing that comes to mind is possible having a custom, portable deadlift platform crafted, and I’d like to get your thoughts.

Let me lay out the situation. I can’t put in a real deadlift platform because... my rack is already half a centimeter from the ceiling. No space. At the same time, I’m kind of worried about cracking my foundation if I let a heavy deadlift slip. I’ve covered the floor with 6mm of Everroll rubber (think Regupol), but that’s not a lot.

Because of that concern, I purchased and use deadlift deadeners (http://www.deadliftdeadener.com/). They’re a really cool invention, and I have no concerns about the floor when using them. But doing so means I lift from about a 1” elevation, so really, a very marginal block pull.

I was thinking that I could have a small deadlift platform built, and since it would be custom, have it built such that the deadeners are set within the platform itself, so that the weights sit at ground level. I don’t have a lot of space in front of the rack, so my main question would be... how big does it really need to be? I’m thinking that a half meter from front to back would probably be plenty. Then I could simply flip it up against the wall when I’m not deadlifting and reclaim the space. Side to side, it obviously needs to be big enough to incorporate the length of the bar.

Any issues you see with something like that? I did some quick googling and don’t see that anyone sells a small deadlift platform like that in the first place, which makes me wonder if there’s a negative to it that I’m not seeing (like the platform sliding on the floor or such). Happy to get your thoughts...
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Why not just build a small 1" platform (ie, a 1" piece of wood) for you to stand on so it's not longer a block pull?
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Why not just build a small 1" platform (ie, a 1" piece of wood) for you to stand on so it's not longer a block pull?
    This. There's nothing magic about a platform. Even some scrap wood laying around will do the trick as long as it's the area is even and big enough.
    #sunyourballs
    Unvaxed sperm is the next Bitcoin
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Originally Posted by jamalfudge View Post
    This. There's nothing magic about a platform. Even some scrap wood laying around will do the trick as long as it's the area is even and big enough.
    Could do, and have considered it. The same general question arose - whether there’s anything I need to worry about like slippage, though I can’t see how pulling straight up would lead to any such worry (I’m just the cautious type).

But there’s also an advantage to building it as I described it, so the deadlift deadeners are locked in place and I don’t have to place them each time. A minor concern, but one less thing to worry about when setting up.

Still, sounds like it’ll work either way, so it’s worth pursuing.
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Corbets View Post
    Could do, and have considered it. The same general question arose - whether there’s anything I need to worry about like slippage, though I can’t see how pulling straight up would lead to any such worry (I’m just the cautious type).

But there’s also an advantage to building it as I described it, so the deadlift deadeners are locked in place and I don’t have to place them each time. A minor concern, but one less thing to worry about when setting up.

Still, sounds like it’ll work either way, so it’s worth pursuing.
    A potential disadvantage of building it as you describe is the weight and awkwardness of moving and storing it when not in use (depending on how elaborate you want to get with the design).

Do you have any extra flooring? You could cut a few tiles of reasonable size and stack them to stand on. If the tiles are big enough and you are only deadlifting (no oly lifts), if should be stable and easy to move around as needed.

I use extra tiles in my gym to provide extra padding for the bumpers when oly lifting (not to stand on). Easy to move in/out of the area, doesn’t take up space.

Otherwise, I would go with a small piece of 3/4” plywood as others have suggested.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #73 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #78 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #20 ||---||

Originally Posted by 1651Naismith View Post
    A potential disadvantage of building it as you describe is the weight and awkwardness of moving and storing it when not in use (depending on how elaborate you want to get with the design).

Do you have any extra flooring? You could cut a few tiles of reasonable size and stack them to stand on. If the tiles are big enough and you are only deadlifting (no oly lifts), if should be stable and easy to move around as needed.

I use extra tiles in my gym to provide extra padding for the bumpers when oly lifting (not to stand on). Easy to move in/out of the area, doesn’t take up space.

Otherwise, I would go with a small piece of 3/4” plywood as others have suggested.
    I do, but the flooring is 6m thick, so I’d need to stack about 5 pieces together to get it at the height of the deadeners, so I’d go with the plywood route, I think.

You’re right about the storage awkwardness, though I was thinking it would be a wall-hang thing regardless.

I’ll report back when I decide what to do. ;P

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do, but the flooring is 6m thick, so I’d need to stack about 5 pieces together to get it at the height of the deadeners, so I’d go with the plywood route, I think.

You’re right about the storage awkwardness, though I was thinking it would be a wall-hang thing regardless.

I’ll report back when I decide what to do. ;P
    I agree with the previous poster's, the problem as I see it, a deadlift platform won't be that portable if you build it in one piece. If I was in your situation, set out your deadlift pads, cut a piece of 18mm plywood to fit the standing area, then stick a Layer of your 6mm Everoll flooring on top,. If you're worried about slippage, use 12mm plywood sandwiched between 2 layers the Everoll flooring.

I think it would be easier to move and store 3 individual elements than humping around a 2m+ long platform.

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

While it's not something I'd want to do all the time, I don't have much trouble standing up my 4'x8' plywood/stall mat platform, sliding it around, and leaning it against a wall if I'm moving stuff around in the gym. I think a ~2'x8' would be twice as easy.

I keep joking that I'm going to build another platform so I can set up multiple lifts ahead of time, so maybe I should look into this too.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The length can be as short as you're able to work with and you can even put a lip on it to stop the bar from rolling out. I wouldn't go less than 2' (~.61m) though. It can be as simplistic or as complex as you're willing/able to make it. I saw a 3-piece that locked together with flick locks. Another guy installed handles on his for moving. The possibilities are endless so decide what you want and then go from there.

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A lot of things can work and maybe you've considered this but Rogue has these variants available, I know you are in Switzerland but just for ideas: https://www.roguefitness.com/strengt...tforms_id_4765

Powerlift has some nice designs which integrate into a rack so you get platform in front and inside but rack doesn't sit on it (insert). Honestly a PL full rack with storage and platform insert plus platform up front was my dream rack for a long time (probably still is). Might be worthy of consideration in design as well: https://www.powerliftusa.com/product...a-5fc569ad5fad

Not sure what kind of plates you have but bumpers can also be logical though they limit the amount of weight on the bar some and push weight closer to the sleeves so that bar bends more - most people won't be effected by this.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    A lot of things can work and maybe you've considered this but Rogue has these variants available, I know you are in Switzerland but just for ideas: https://www.roguefitness.com/strengt...tforms_id_4765

Powerlift has some nice designs which integrate into a rack so you get platform in front and inside but rack doesn't sit on it (insert). Honestly a PL full rack with storage and platform insert plus platform up front was my dream rack for a long time (probably still is). Might be worthy of consideration in design as well: https://www.powerliftusa.com/product...a-5fc569ad5fad

Not sure what kind of plates you have but bumpers can also be logical though they limit the amount of weight on the bar some and push weight closer to the sleeves so that bar bends more - most people won't be effected by this.
    Denmark, actually - I moved 2 years ago and can’t figure out how to change the profile info here.

But while you’re quite a bit closer to Rogue HQ than me, they do have operations out here (rogueeurope.eu) and carry a goodly portion of their line, though not all. In fact, I have a lot of their stuff, from an RML-690 to their KG training bumpers and their SSB, amongst others. ;-)

But I think their training platform is still quite a bit bigger than what I’m envisioning. I’m really wondering if I can get away with something that’s about 50cm (bit under 2 feet) front to back.

Rack insert isn’t a bad idea, though that’s a permanent solution, and then I need to get a ramp up for the bench and such as well... hmm.

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not sure if you could get them but I just got some of the Rogue deadlift tiles and move them in/out when I want. Easy to move and plenty of protection.

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Denmark, actually - I moved 2 years ago and can’t figure out how to change the profile info here.

But while you’re quite a bit closer to Rogue HQ than me, they do have operations out here (rogueeurope.eu) and carry a goodly portion of their line, though not all. In fact, I have a lot of their stuff, from an RML-690 to their KG training bumpers and their SSB, amongst others. ;-)
    We have the same rack and I have the lbs version of those bumpers!

Rack insert isn’t a bad idea, though that’s a permanent solution, and then I need to get a ramp up for the bench and such as well... hmm.
    I don't think it's on their site but Powerlift sells this or can direct you to the spot. I've seen major facilities equipped with their stuff and they have included the ramps on install. Their racks have docking benches which aren't light. Not the full "solution" you are looking for but maybe with more info you can piece something together. I don't think there's anything ready-made or out of the box.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991