sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Let's see what SKD can do for strength and bodyfat.

Alright everyone. I've cut and bulked with a high protein IIFYM. I've cut with a strict very low fat regimen. I've bulked with CKD.

IMO, it all works. I'm a very VERY firm believer of Calories is most important, getting enough protein second most important.

So why am I here? I was curious about keto since I felt best while doing CKD (the high protein diet really ended up with me having kidney stones and I felt very hungry all the time). I tried a very very low fat cut and I felt horrible. Just horrible (talking about 30 – 50 grams of fats). So I started the 'induction phase', and when I watched bodybuilding's “expert panel” when they discussed diets (posted around 23 March), it became even MORE intriguing.

I'm a very scientific, logical man. Meaning, I look for the proof, I look for the logic, I consider multiple viewpoints, and as you just read, I'm flexible and willing to try different things if there seems to be some science and proof and it MIGHT work for me. On that expert panel, Dr. Jacob Wilson talked VERY highly of the ketogenic diet and of the studies his lab is doing. That's what I like to know about! The studies!!! And he talked about CKD throwing people out of ketosis and so if ketones spare muscle, which most people agree with, why throw yourself out of ketosis, ESPECIALLY on a cut, and get rid of (even for a few days), the form of energy that SPARES muscle while on a cut? The Doc says standard keto is great for athletes. The studies he mentioned says standard keto is great and they had great results. Well, let's all find out.

First, my brief 3 year history into the foray of bodybuilding.....

So a few examples from previous logs.....

13 March 2011 – Realizing I'm not exactly as “buff” as I though I should be. It was the day I hit the pullup bar and could barely knock out three pullups. 175 lbs.

October 2012 – Hit the weights and cardio. Signed up for the Army Ten Miler and this was a photo just before doing it. So I was running probably about 20 miles a week, with light weight training. 158 lbs

Late June 2013 1st NPC show. I felt good. This was on a high protein, low fat, moderate carb diet. 154 lb weight class.[/b]

[/b]March 2014 – After CKD Bulk. Averaged about 3300 calories a day. Got up to 176lbs, but that was too heavy. This past winter I kept it to about 167 lbs max.[/b]

I didn't have any real good bb competitions last year (2014). I screwed up my preps and so I basically didn't keep those pictures. Anyways, bulked up to 167. I've used IIFYM with a dominos pizza day on Sundays and Five Guys Burger and Fries Day on Thursdays up until last week when I saw that video and said, “Sure. I'll give the damned thing a shot.”

So where am I now?

Ok. So that's where I'm at. I've never really come across many pure keto bodybuilding logs. Everyone seems to do TKD or CKD. So I figured I'd be a guinea pig. I'm going to do my best to stick to the diet through the contest season NOT carbing up. For ANYTHING. No carbing up for shows, to try to achieve a PR, for my PT test, NOTHING.

I also really want to see if I fall into what the Doc was talking about around the round table. He agreed that people will lose some strength, but after 6 months they were back.

Well, let's all find out.

PLAN

I'm simple. I like to eat the same thing every day. Boring, I know. But it's easy and I like it.
    -Coffee with heavy cream w/ breakfast, eggs fried in butter with cheese.
    -Lunch is 4 hours later, 75/25 beef patty with cheese, steamed chicken, salad with full fat ranch, a cherry coke zero.
    -3 hours later, quest nutrition bar (high protein, high fiber, low net carbs, and tasty!)
    -3 hours later, post workout whey protein
    -1 hour later, 4oz chuck steak fried in coconut oil, another egg in leftover oil from steak with cheese, fibrous veggies with ranch.
    -2 hours later, breyers low carb icecream (132 grams!), mixed with 1 serving of almond butter and a splash of zero calorie french vanilla sweetener. Freakin' delicious!

I vary this a little, and will be subbing in small things here or there (maybe pam for eggs but mayo on my lunch, maybe no cheese on dinner and a fat bomb or two, etc.) Going to eat out to meals a week. Five Guys still my #1 go to, just bunless now with mayo! And a restaurant here or there. Steak and veggies.

I'll try for weekly updates.

TRAINING
    I run PRT for my unit (that's Army Physical Readiness Training) so I'll be doing that 3-5 times a week. Cardio 4 times a week (no more than 20 minutes, two of them are 8 intervals of one minute HI, one minute rest, two of them are MISS for no more than 20 minutes), lifting 4 times a week (MAX OT cause I enjoy lifting heavy and really focusing my mental energy on a few REALLY good reps). One day just a 15 minute calisthenic circuit just cause I got bored and decided to do it.

It's the third week and I'm feeling good. Tired, but I'm attributing that to me getting to work at 6 AM and not getting home till 7 PM almost every day, and not being able to relax on the weekends due to trying to finish up some personal goals. But we'll see how it goes.

I intend to check in weekly, post a picture here or there of some foods and meals, and my wife will be joining me on this keto trip and we'll try out some different recipes.

All in all, I want to see what happens with a bodybuilder, MAX OT mentality and keto. What will happen to my strength? What will happen to my bodyfat and energy levels? We'll see.....

STATS

Weight – 159 lbs
    Bench – 245 x 4
    Squat – 315 x 5
    Deadlift – 405 x 4
    Weighted Pullups – 80 lbs x 4
    DB Press – 70s x 4

Going to start the MAX OT Progression and start adding 2.5 - 5 lbs to every lift. When I hit a wall, I will back off 30 lbs and start over (since 30 lbs with weekly 5 lb addition would just about equal one full cycle before a deload week). I'll be stopping MAX OT last week of April or first week of May (PT test is around that time). Then I'll start up another MAX OT iteration.

Thanks for checking in. I'll do my best to be consistent checking in. I've got other goals on my plate, but typing a quick thing here or there shouldn't be too tough.

Alexi
    1) Eat right
    2) Train hard
    3) Repeat

Army Strong

Personal Records:
    Squat: 402.5 x 1 (9 Jan 16)
    Deadlift: 485x1 (9 Jan 16)
    Bench: 286.5x1 (9 Jan 16)

sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Two weeks in. Been eating keto for 3 weeks now (four if you don't count a "24 hour carb up" the first day, but strict for 3 weeks). I feel fine. I'm doing strength training 4 days a week, calisthenics circuit 1 day, and I do some cardio in the morning about 3 days a week.

Eating it has been pretty easy. Wife has joined me on this as she's trying to shed a few pounds and is willing to try. We've been enjoying our bacon and egg mornings, cream cheese pancakes, brie, butter on veggies, and full fat dressing. She's experimenting with different whipped cream desserts and snacks and enjoying them very much! We've eaten out a few times. It's not very easy (Whew, Olive Garden this weekened was probably the HARDEST place to find low carb entrees!), but almost every place has steamed veggies and is willing to make them "loaded" like a potato (bacon and cheese), and some sort of steak or chicken or baked/grilled fish.

Just gotta be careful to make sure there's no special marinade or something that could contain sugar!

PLAN

Doing well sticking to it (sticking to a diet has never been hard for me). I'm playing it a little looser than my previous diets. Eating out two, maybe three times a week and just making sure to pick high fat, no carb foods.

TRAINING
    Still on point. PRT and strength training. Have a PT Test early May, and then I'll switch up my routine slightly.

STATS

Weight – 159 lbs
    Bench – 235 x 6
    Squat – 335 x 4
    Deadlift – 405 x 4
    DB Press – 75s x 4

Thanks for checking in.

Alexi

Two Week Progress...

1) Eat right
    2) Train hard
    3) Repeat

Army Strong

Personal Records:
    Squat: 402.5 x 1 (9 Jan 16)
    Deadlift: 485x1 (9 Jan 16)
    Bench: 286.5x1 (9 Jan 16)

psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sfalexi View Post
    Two weeks in. Been eating keto for 3 weeks now (four if you don't count a "24 hour carb up" the first day, but strict for 3 weeks). I feel fine. I'm doing strength training 4 days a week, calisthenics circuit 1 day, and I do some cardio in the morning about 3 days a week.

Eating it has been pretty easy. Wife has joined me on this as she's trying to shed a few pounds and is willing to try. We've been enjoying our bacon and egg mornings, cream cheese pancakes, brie, butter on veggies, and full fat dressing. She's experimenting with different whipped cream desserts and snacks and enjoying them very much! We've eaten out a few times. It's not very easy (Whew, Olive Garden this weekened was probably the HARDEST place to find low carb entrees!), but almost every place has steamed veggies and is willing to make them "loaded" like a potato (bacon and cheese), and some sort of steak or chicken or baked/grilled fish.

Just gotta be careful to make sure there's no special marinade or something that could contain sugar!

PLAN

Doing well sticking to it (sticking to a diet has never been hard for me). I'm playing it a little looser than my previous diets. Eating out two, maybe three times a week and just making sure to pick high fat, no carb foods.

TRAINING
    Still on point. PRT and strength training. Have a PT Test early May, and then I'll switch up my routine slightly.

STATS

Weight – 159 lbs
    Bench – 235 x 6
    Squat – 335 x 4
    Deadlift – 405 x 4
    DB Press – 75s x 4

Thanks for checking in.

Alexi

Two Week Progress...

I love liw carbs, not sure if it's the lighting or what but u look more cut and harder in your before pic, which is odd because you should be down a lot of water weight.

nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How's your progress?
    "Squat heavy. Push heavy objects. Have sex. Love life.” ― Jim Wendler

ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ab037 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Would love to see some updates on this.. would turn out to be a great informative thread.. hope he returns