Swimwear/fitness model Cassie18's Avatar
    Cassie18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Are there any strapless heart rate monitors out there that actually work?

I saw a few threads related to this but they're all at least 2 years old from what I've found. I'm looking for a heart rate monitor watch that works without the use of a strap because I would like to be able to keep records of resting and active heart rates in order to monitor progress. Yes I could check my heart rate myself during resting periods but if I have something on my wrist to remind me I feel I'd be more motivated to keep track. A continuous monitor would be great but it's not absolutely necessary. As long as it's not like some Timex that apparently requires up to 30 seconds of contact with your finger to read. If anyone has recommendations for accurate and relatively durable strapless heart rate monitors I would greatly appreciate it. And I would prefer one under $60 but if they simply don't exist opinions on more expensive products would be great as well so I can save up Thanks to anyone who can help!

CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Cassie, I am a big fan of "Polar" HR monitors, having used them for over 20 years, back when they were bigger, to the modern sleek designs. I am unaware
    of any strapless ones that would be worth a darn, but I can say that the Polar ones straps are actually pretty comfortable, and I have often slept with mine
    on in order to capture records of true resting heart rates. Make sure that you get a model that had target zones you can set-can be very useful when using
    it to train in specific zones...some now can also be downloaded into a computer to keep records. The womens models look nice too, not exactly like a
    Cartier watch, but not bad. Hope my opinion helps.
    "Common sense is not so common".

KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have a 6 year old polar that has the soft strap and I have worn it to bed/24 hours a day on multiple ocasions when I was running 40-50 miles a week. The soft strap version never seemed to bother me much. I didn't seem to gain that much info from the 24hr monitoring. It seemed to help me out the most when I just used it to set my pace with my heartbeat (target zones) like Crop said.

Question

Yea the polar hr monitors are definitely impressive and if an effective strapless one doesn't exist that's probably what I'll get. Though I've been reading about the Mio alpha strapless continuous monitor and it looks pretty good too definitely something I'd have to safe up for though. Any opinions on the Mio alphas effectiveness and accuracy?
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be?
    -'Our Deepest Fear' by Marianne Williamson

Blog: fithappensblog.com
    Follow me on Instagram @cassie_fithappens

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cassie18 View Post
    Yea the polar hr monitors are definitely impressive and if an effective strapless one doesn't exist that's probably what I'll get. Though I've been reading about the Mio alpha strapless continuous monitor and it looks pretty good too definitely something I'd have to safe up for though. Any opinions on the Mio alphas effectiveness and accuracy?
    The Mio uses pulse oximetry, which is a proven technology used in the medical profession. However, it monitors your pulse, which may not be the same as your heart rate.

CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Personally, I'd stick with Polar...they have been around forever, and mine have never let me down...
    "Common sense is not so common".

Originally Posted by KJ4GR View Post
    I have a 6 year old polar that has the soft strap and I have worn it to bed/24 hours a day on multiple ocasions when I was running 40-50 miles a week. The soft strap version never seemed to bother me much. I didn't seem to gain that much info from the 24hr monitoring. It seemed to help me out the most when I just used it to set my pace with my heartbeat (target zones) like Crop said.
    What's the model number for yours?
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be?
    -'Our Deepest Fear' by Marianne Williamson

Blog: fithappensblog.com
    Follow me on Instagram @cassie_fithappens

KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Cassie18 View Post
    What's the model number for yours?
    Polar F11

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Mo...pr_product_top