Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Looking for routine advice, bit confused

I'm looking to get back into lifting and take it more seriously this time but I have a few things I'd like cleared up first,

Firstly I've always wondered, say you had a routine of 5x5 squats, 5x5 deadlifts and 5x5 benchpresses, is it ideal/okay to finish all 5 sets of squats first then move on to the deadlifts or is it necessary to go squats > deadlifts > bench > squats > deadlifts > bench > squats etc. etc.

Secondly I can already squat and deadlift 1-1.5x my body weight depending on reps, I'm looking to gain weight/mass more than anything else at the moment. What's a good routine that I would be able to do 4x per week?

Thanks.

Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zyraa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ...first, no program on here has 5x5 deadlifts *and* 5x5 squats. That's just to much weight on the same muscle in the same workout. Most programs here cut back on the deadlifts, doing 1x5, or do stiff legged deadlifts or something. I've heard of programs that are more deadlift focussed, but then they don't do as many squats.

Second, 5x5 always means 5 in a row (with rest between each one). Squat, squat, squat, squat, squat - deadlift, deadlift, deadlift, deadlift, deadlift, bench, bench, bench, bench, bench is how it would go.

Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    ...first, no program on here has 5x5 deadlifts *and* 5x5 squats. That's just to much weight on the same muscle in the same workout. Most programs here cut back on the deadlifts, doing 1x5, or do stiff legged deadlifts or something. I've heard of programs that are more deadlift focussed, but then they don't do as many squats.

Second, 5x5 always means 5 in a row (with rest between each one). Squat, squat, squat, squat, squat - deadlift, deadlift, deadlift, deadlift, deadlift, bench, bench, bench, bench, bench is how it would go.
    Ahh thanks, I was doing it the wrong way all along. Any recommendations on a good program? I'm looking to put on mass and 4 days per week would be ideal for me.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Zyraa View Post
    Ahh thanks, I was doing it the wrong way all along. Any recommendations on a good program? I'm looking to put on mass and 4 days per week would be ideal for me.
    For mass, it's between All Pro's -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155009423

Or Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...5022423&page=1

I like All Pro's because it's not as time consuming or totally exhausting as Ice Cream Fitness. If you're looking for max results, you might prefer Ice Cream Fitness.

They're all 3 day programs because that's about the max rate at which your body can build muscle. 3 day programs have you hit your entire body every workout, 4-5 day programs actually have you hitting fewer body parts per workout, you don't get more gains with a program that's over more days.

You probably already know this, but if you want to bulk to you need eat more calories than you need, and plenty of protein.