Registered User ChristopherDeeg's Avatar
    ChristopherDeeg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help and advice needed

I am a brand new member with tons of motivation and determination but lack even the basic knowledge of bodybuilding. This thread is to do one thing and that's to help me acquire weights and workout equipment. I currently have nothing. Money isn't really an issue but since I am such a begginer I don't want to get any workout equipment that's overly complicated. My over all goal is to build muscle and reduce body fat.The things I'm looking at buying are listed below but I'm completely open to any suggestions.

A body fat measuring tool
    A good brand of free weights like curl bars and dumbells
    Home gym like a bowflex that can give
    me a lot of workouts in one machine
    Any other workout devices you think I can use jump rope, resistance bands, etc.
    Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

God bless

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ChristopherDeeg View Post
    I am a brand new member with tons of motivation and determination but lack even the basic knowledge of bodybuilding. This thread is to do one thing and that's to help me acquire weights and workout equipment. I currently have nothing. Money isn't really an issue but since I am such a begginer I don't want to get any workout equipment that's overly complicated. My over all goal is to build muscle and reduce body fat.The things I'm looking at buying are listed below but I'm completely open to any suggestions.

A body fat measuring tool
    A good brand of free weights like curl bars and dumbells
    Home gym like a bowflex that can give
    me a lot of workouts in one machine
    Any other workout devices you think I can use jump rope, resistance bands, etc.
    Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

God bless
    Before buying any equipment, study this workout equipment forum religiously for a month. Then do your own homework as to what to buy, what to pay, and learn how to properly search craigslist. And remember that the best equipment for you is the equipment that you will actually use and continue to use regularly for the next 5, 10 , or 20 years.

Registered User ChristopherDeeg's Avatar
    ChristopherDeeg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Reply

Thanks for the advice. I am doing my best to study this forum but I get lost in some of the stuff I'm reading just because I'm not experienced and find myself unsure of what they are talking about sometimes. I've been reading on the bowflex machine. Some people love it and swear by it while others determine it to be the biggest waste of money that getting a bench and some good free weights and I could achieve the same results and save thousands doing so. The reason I made this thread is in hopes that I might get some good advice and more experienced opinions before I make my final decision and begin to purchase equipment. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Barring unknown considerations, I'd start with a rack, an FID (flat/incline/decline) bench, and an Olympic weight set. That's a lot of workouts in one "machine", and plates on a bar shouldn't be overly complicated.

I do own a Bowflex, and it served me well over the years. In particular, I was moving around from apartment to apartment, and it was nice having something I could move easily. But I have my own home now and hope to stay put forever. And when I got serious about lifting, the Bowflex just wasn't sufficient, and I had to buy some real equipment. These days, my Bowflex is a piece of sculpture that I hang my bands on. But hey, I bought it probably 20 years ago, it was appropriate to my lifestyle at the time, and I got my value out of it. If you do get a Bowflex, get one used. I bet you can get one for almost nothing, and so won't be upset if you decide in six months that it's not enough for you.

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First of all, as a beginner realize that any exercise is better than none, and the exercise that you like the best is what you'll do most often. Heavy weights build muscle and lose fat on a body better than anything else in general, but if you don't watch your diet (calories, protein intake, etc.) nothing will help. Getting big and losing weight, in a fairly quick quick amount of time, is not possible unless you are a genetic freak. To get big, and learn basic exercises, go on a StartingStrength system, buy a copy of the book and follow it, you will get big. But you will probably gain excess weight also. If you are really looking to lose weight and cut, dieting is definitely the key.

Basically, I'd advise you to stay away from a Bowflex or multi machine unless you are going mainly for cutting. Follow Maluket's advice and get a rack, FID, and 300 lb. oly set. Read this thread and it will answer alot of your equipment questions: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113942001 .

Do your footwork and ask specific questions, your answers will be clearer.

Good luck.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Maluket View Post
    Barring unknown considerations, I'd start with a rack, an FID (flat/incline/decline) bench, and an Olympic weight set. That's a lot of workouts in one "machine", and plates on a bar shouldn't be overly complicated.
    Yes.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Since you are in AZ, I would see if this was still available.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/spo/3012043420.html
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm going to try and make this simple as you have had a lot of good responses already.

1) DONT BUY A BOWFLEX.

2) DO NOT BUY A BOWFLEX.

3) Buy a 300 lb olympic weight set, rack, and adjustable bench. You have stated that you want a bowflex so I know you have the space for it.

4) Buy the rest of the stuff you suggested.

5) If money is not an issue, then some 8x4' rubber 'stall mats' will protect your floor and equipment.

6) As an accessory buy an exercise mat to help you with floor exercises.

7) If you want another idea for some exercise kit to buy then get yourself a kettlebell or 2. A 16 and a 24kg would be a good place to start. They are great for cardio and strength work depending on the weight and the movement.

8) Search Craigslist and ebay religiously. Good equipment comes up here all the time, you can buy and sell stuff to fund new purchases or update old ones.

9) As suggested already, keep reading this section and go through old posts as there is a lot to learn and its cheaper to learn from others mistakes and experiences.

10) DO NOT BUY A BOWFLEX!!!

Good luck to you, feel free to ask any questions on here.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    I'm going to try and make this simple as you have had a lot of good responses already.

1) DONT BUY A BOWFLEX.

2) DO NOT BUY A BOWFLEX.

10) DO NOT BUY A BOWFLEX!!!
    Are you trying to say that it may not be in the OP's best interest to purchase a Bowflex ? LOL !
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    First figure out your goals, or what exercises you most want to do, then figure out what equipment will facilitate those things.

For example, several years ago I got a weight set, rack, bench, and a few accessories like dumbbell handles. I quickly got dead bored with all of it, and I never could keep up with it consistently because of that.

Finally this year I figured out that I have no interest in bodybuilding or powerlifting, and that I enjoy things like Crossfit, yoga, and some other strength and conditioning exercises. I sold my iron plates, and I'm considering getting rid of my rack and bench to free up space, which is like blasphemy on a bodybuilding forum, I know.

I can't imagine planning my workout equipment for 5+ years down the road, when I don't even know what I'll want to do next week.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started out with a pair of spin lock dumbbells, an adjustable bench from Sports Authority, and the book Men's Health Ultimate Dumbbell Guide. That got me started on the road and allowed me to figure out the basics. Since then I have bought a set of Power Blocks, and Olympic Set, and a Power Cage.

I really think a set of dumbbells, a bench, and the aforementioned book is a good place to start and will help you figure things out.
    Questions Everything.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Squeebo View Post
    First figure out your goals, or what exercises you most want to do, then figure out what equipment will facilitate those things.

For example, several years ago I got a weight set, rack, bench, and a few accessories like dumbbell handles. I quickly got dead bored with all of it, and I never could keep up with it consistently because of that.

Finally this year I figured out that I have no interest in bodybuilding or powerlifting, and that I enjoy things like Crossfit, yoga, and some other strength and conditioning exercises. I sold my iron plates, and I'm considering getting rid of my rack and bench to free up space, which is like blasphemy on a bodybuilding forum, I know.

I can't imagine planning my workout equipment for 5+ years down the road, when I don't even know what I'll want to do next week.
    I'm with you in a way.

I have realized you can do pretty well with a weight set and a pair of cheap jack stands. No rack, no bench necessary.
    Deads (various formats), power cleans, OHP, floor press, bent over row, front squats - more than enough to do the job.

If I didn't already have my set up I would probably get the weights and keep it at that. Maybe one day I'll purge, but at this point I'll stick with what I've got and 5/3/1.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I made great gains with nothing but a barbell on my back lawn, none of this stuff is compulsary.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()