Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Clean & Press vs. Military Press

I'm doing a Power/Hypertrophy split right now. I train in MMA throughout the week at least twice a week right now, and I do HIIT cardio after lifting on most days. And I'm currently cutting also.

Day 1- Upper Body Power
    Day 2- Lower Body Power
    Day 3- REST
    Day 4- Chest/Back
    Day 5- Shoulders/Arms
    Day 6- Legs
    Day 7- REST

My question is about clean & press. I love this, but can I do clean & press instead of military press on upper body day? My upper body power days consists of BB bench, BB rows, BB military press, BB shrugs, something for biceps and triceps usually.

Now I can either just throw clean & press into the mix on upper body day, or maybe I could do it on lower body day? What do you think?
    "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

"Concentration and mental toughness are the margins of victory."

"Success is not something you pursue, success is something you become."

"The greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising up every time we fall."

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's your call.

I personally would suggest splitting the clean and the press. Do cleans one day, and press the other.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

RIP Sweetie 2006-2010 Macrobolic's Avatar
    Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    It's your call.

I personally would suggest splitting the clean and the press. Do cleans one day, and press the other.
    couldn't have said it better myself
    "To close one's eyes will not ease another's pain" - Chinese Proverb
    "An outdoor dog has an address, not a home" -unknown

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would use the Clean & Press as a lighter conditioning movement on one of your GPP training days or with lower body training.

The Military Press is an isolation movement for your shoulders and the clean and press would likely not provide as much direct shoulder stimulus as something like Seated DB Press.

For an MMA Athlete I would recommend a split like this:

Monday: Upper Body (Back / Chest / Biceps / Triceps / Deltoids)
    Tuesday: Lower Body Conditioning (Plyometrics, Sled Drags, etc.)
    Wednesday: Lower Body Weight Training (Squats, etc.)
    Thursday: Active Recovery / Standard Cardio
    Friday: Total Body Conditioning (Clean & Press, Kettlebells, etc.)

Obviously this could be changed to adapt the program to your current skill-specific workouts and grappling schedule.

Hope this helps!
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aches89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    I would use the Clean & Press as a lighter conditioning movement on one of your GPP training days or with lower body training.

The Military Press is an isolation movement for your shoulders and the clean and press would likely not provide as much direct shoulder stimulus as something like Seated DB Press.

For an MMA Athlete I would recommend a split like this:

Monday: Upper Body (Back / Chest / Biceps / Triceps / Deltoids)
    Tuesday: Lower Body Conditioning (Plyometrics, Sled Drags, etc.)
    Wednesday: Lower Body Weight Training (Squats, etc.)
    Thursday: Active Recovery / Standard Cardio
    Friday: Total Body Conditioning (Clean & Press, Kettlebells, etc.)

Obviously this could be changed to adapt the program to your current skill-specific workouts and grappling schedule.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks a lot man!

How does my current program look to you? Is it a little too much volume? I don't want to lose strength over something that's not necessary.

Here's some more information on it.

Upper Body Power- 4 sets - 3-6 reps for each exercise.
    Lower Body Power- 4-6 sets of Squats and Deads each, (and now including Clean & Press)

I superset my hypertrophy days.
    Chest/Back- 12-15 sets per muscle group
    Shoulders/Arms- " "
    Legs- " "

I must say; Chest/Back being supersetted is pretty exhausting. I can really feel myself burning out. I might have to fix something here..I'm a little confused on what to do.

What do you think man?
    Last edited by Aches89; 02-24-2010 at 01:24 PM.

"The greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising up every time we fall."

budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10) budershank is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Aches89 View Post
    Thanks a lot man!

I must say; Chest/Back being supersetted is pretty exhausting. I can really feel myself burning out. I might have to fix something here..I'm a little confused on what to do.
    I recently went to a chest/tri and back/bi split and noticed a big difference in energy levels. May want to try that.

Originally Posted by budershank View Post
    I recently went to a chest/tri and back/bi split and noticed a big difference in energy levels. May want to try that.
    Yeah, I think I may do that. I just want to make the most out of them workouts. For chest and back, supersetting them is alright at first but slowly you feel your body burning out.

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The thing is, you won't get much training effect out of doing cleans with a weight you can press (too light) and you can't press a weight that would give a good stimulus for cleans.

It's a much better idea to separate the two lifts, and train cleans one day (lower/power) and presses another (upper/strength).