WhoButMe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhoButMe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhoButMe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhoButMe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Amount Of Protein

I'm 5'9 and currently weigh 160 pounds. I have been taking ON 100% whey with 2 scoops on the regular. My goals for the last few months has been to slim down (cut) which I have been successful in doing. Am I overdoing it by taking two scoops with my frame? My diet is very good, I do cardio twice a week (H.I.I.T) and my water in take is about a gallon a day.

I know that some, much bigger, guys would definitely benefit from 2 scoops (not to say that I haven't) but is that extra scoop of calories possibly being stored as fat?

Sorry for the newbie type question but I stay learning something new on this site all the time.
    Be grateful, stay humble but most certainly ALWAYS lift hard!

In competition with myself and thus far I'm winning.....

slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WhoButMe View Post
    I'm 5'9 and currently weigh 160 pounds. I have been taking ON 100% whey with 2 scoops on the regular. My goals for the last few months has been to slim down (cut) which I have been successful in doing. Am I overdoing it by taking two scoops with my frame? My diet is very good, I do cardio twice a week (H.I.I.T) and my water in take is about a gallon a day.

I know that some, much bigger, guys would definitely benefit from 2 scoops (not to say that I haven't) but is that extra scoop of calories possibly being stored as fat?

Sorry for the newbie type question but I stay learning something new on this site all the time.
    hell no man, you should be taking more if that's the only protein youre getting all day. I take 4 scoops a day because i can't eat a lot of meat when im not cooking and buying my food in the summer. you should be taking it about 150 grams of protein even if youre cutting, you don't want to lose any muscle

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    aim for 1.25g PRO/LBM ... lean body mass, not total.
    this is help preserve muscle during your cut

WhoButMe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhoButMe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhoButMe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhoButMe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by slimwealthy1 View Post
    hell no man, you should be taking more if that's the only protein youre getting all day. I take 4 scoops a day because i can't eat a lot of meat when im not cooking and buying my food in the summer. you should be taking it about 150 grams of protein even if youre cutting, you don't want to lose any muscle
    No I meant one or two scoops a serving. I take 3, 2-scoop shakes a day in between whole meals.

slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No I meant one or two scoops a serving. I take 3, 2-scoop shakes a day in between whole meals.
    i've heard 1/4 of your bodyweight is how many grams should be taken in a sitting

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Assuming you're getting more protein from other sources in the rest of your diet, you're probably overdoing it on protein. It won't necessarily hurt you, but that much protein in unncecessary.

Whether or not it's stored as fat depends on the degree to which it is contributing to a caloric surplus.
    Who do men say that I am?

Originally Posted by slimwealthy1 View Post
    i've heard 1/4 of your bodyweight is how many grams should be taken in a sitting
    That's interesting; I am going to have to look that up.

That's interesting; I am going to have to look that up.
    at least for pre and post workout meals. so that right there would be 80 grams for you

Originally Posted by sunngodd View Post
    Assuming you're getting more protein from other sources in the rest of your diet, you're probably overdoing it on protein. It won't necessarily hurt you, but that much protein in unncecessary.

Whether or not it's stored as fat depends on the degree to which it is contributing to a caloric surplus.
    I am definitely getting at least 20-40 grams of protein with every other whole meal. Once you factor ingredients, etc. its hard for me to say exactly how many cals. I am taking in. For what it is worth; I do measure my food portions when I am home. 2OZ of uncooked carbs (brown rice, wheat pasta, etc.) and either 4 0Z of lean read meat, chicken or fish or whatever equates to one serving.

Something tells me that I'd be more than alright with a scoop (24 grams of protein) of whey protein. By the way I also add some kinda fruit (apple, banana, blueberries) and small spoon of natty PB to every shake which is composed of half water and half fat free milk (10oz).

I was right! I did a quick search which lead me right back here to B.B.com and stumbled upon a Target Protein Intake Calculator. I added what I weigh currently and added how much protein per body weight did I want to consume (which I stated 2 grams per pound). After computing that it came back that I need to consume about 145 grams of protein a day. Now 145 grams of protein divided into 6 and we are looking at 24 grams per meal or that same ONE scoop of ON 100% Whey and not TWO.

I know that I will exceed 24 grams of protein when eating certain whole foods (a chicken breast alone can have up to like 30 grams of protein) but at least I have more control when drinking my protein supplements. I've learned protein itself is not what makes one fat as whatever is not used within the first hour after consumption gets used during the second hour.
    Last edited by WhoButMe; 07-08-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    2 scoops is fine.

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    2 scoops is fine.
    I have had a feeling that it is fine BUT is it necessary is my question?

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have had a feeling that it is fine BUT is it necessary is my question?
    only if you want to get stronger and more lean

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    only if you want to get stronger and more lean
    got some reasoning behind that bud?
    how is more protein that required going to make you bigger.

Originally Posted by Long813 View Post
    got some reasoning behind that bud?
    how is more protein that required going to make you bigger.
    I can see how it's going to get someone bigger simply because you are also taking more calories in. My reasoning/logic for not taking that second scoop, now, per serving is pretty simple: with my whole food meals I am not taking 48 grams of protein (2 scoops of whey) so why should I consume that amount when it comes to my protein shakes? Plus, as I said earlier - all of my shakes consist of some type of fruit and a spoon of natty PB. All in all I've learned that with just about everything it is trial and error. I'll determine in the next few weeks my progress.

On average my whole meals consists of anywhere between 20-40 grams of protein (40 is stretching it most times).