jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Need advice on a runner/rec basketball player...

Hey you all.

So one of my friends who has trouble putting on weight asked me to help him write up a work out plan for him a couple weeks ago. He wants to get "ripped like Zyzz", but doesn't want to give up his 3 hours of basketball/cardio a day. I've introduced him to a few ideas including starting strength, and other major muscle group exercises. I told him to increase his calorie intake dramatically, but he still wont gain real weight. I haven't done starting strength myself, but because I am not in the gym with him I do not know exactly how he is doing besides his word. My question is should I stick with starting strength 5x5 with this client, or should I introduce another lifting plan that will still help him build muscle with his high calorie burn/high metabolic body? He seems to be getting stronger, but to put on muscle mass he'll need to eat way more.
    Owner, Murray Health and Fitness
    www.MurrayHealthandFitness.com

Have questions? Feel free to contact me

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jsmurray View Post
    Hey you all.

So one of my friends who has trouble putting on weight asked me to help him write up a work out plan for him a couple weeks ago. He wants to get "ripped like Zyzz", but doesn't want to give up his 3 hours of basketball/cardio a day. I've introduced him to a few ideas including starting strength, and other major muscle group exercises. I told him to increase his calorie intake dramatically, but he still wont gain real weight. I haven't done starting strength myself, but because I am not in the gym with him I do not know exactly how he is doing besides his word. My question is should I stick with starting strength 5x5 with this client, or should I introduce another lifting plan that will still help him build muscle with his high calorie burn/high metabolic body? He seems to be getting stronger, but to put on muscle mass he'll need to eat way more.
    Client: I want massive results without changing my eating habits or workouts at all, I refuse to work out with you or log my workouts for your information, and if you give me a plan I won't follow it.
    Jsmurray: I have no idea how to handle this situation.

jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jsmurray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by lexinak View Post
    Client: I want massive results without changing my eating habits or workouts at all, I refuse to work out with you or log my workouts for your information, and if you give me a plan I won't follow it.
    Jsmurray: I have no idea how to handle this situation.
    Welcome to my frustration. I suppose I can just keep telling him my advice and if he wont listen then, meh. I just didn't know if there was any work out I didn't think of. P90X type works are cardio and weight lifting, but you only get average results.

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jsmurray View Post
    Welcome to my frustration. I suppose I can just keep telling him my advice and if he wont listen then, meh. I just didn't know if there was any work out I didn't think of. P90X type works are cardio and weight lifting, but you only get average results.
    Do you have a reason not to fire him for being the worst client in the known universe?

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lexinak expressed it well.

Lexi, note that he says "friend" straight up in the first sentence, and only later says "client." It's plain no money is changing hands. This is why the "client" is ignoring the advice, you value things at around about what you paid for them, and often less. jsmurray cannot fire this "client", because the client is not a paying client, but his friend.

This brings us back to one of kristenpete's recent threads about training family and friends. In general, don't do it, they won't listen to you.

Speaking more generally, it's hard to get people in endurance-based sports - whether running, basketball, whatever - to
    (a) eat properly and
    (2) lift weights.
    Their mindset is to be lighter to be quicker, when your belly is full of a gallon of milk or two dozen eggs you don't feel too fast. Of course the top endurance athletes eat heaps, and that's part of why they're the top ones - but most people won't do it. As well, their mindset is that every minute spent lifting is a minute they could be running or shooting hoops or whatever.

Just let the guy run around the court continuing being moderately or unsuccessful, at some point he'll tear a hamstring or an ACL and might decide to start listening. But probably not, since you're his friend.

Save your advice for people who have asked for AND paid for it. Most of them will still ignore it, but fewer than those who get the advice unasked for and free.

Thank you. I think I will take your advice. It is hard training friends, when you are not charging them. I am trying very hard to not mix personal life with business.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Lexinak expressed it well.

Lexi, note that he says "friend" straight up in the first sentence, and only later says "client." It's plain no money is changing hands. This is why the "client" is ignoring the advice, you value things at around about what you paid for them, and often less. jsmurray cannot fire this "client", because the client is not a paying client, but his friend.

This brings us back to one of kristenpete's recent threads about training family and friends. In general, don't do it, they won't listen to you.

Speaking more generally, it's hard to get people in endurance-based sports - whether running, basketball, whatever - to
    (a) eat properly and
    (2) lift weights.
    Their mindset is to be lighter to be quicker, when your belly is full of a gallon of milk or two dozen eggs you don't feel too fast. Of course the top endurance athletes eat heaps, and that's part of why they're the top ones - but most people won't do it. As well, their mindset is that every minute spent lifting is a minute they could be running or shooting hoops or whatever.

Just let the guy run around the court continuing being moderately or unsuccessful, at some point he'll tear a hamstring or an ACL and might decide to start listening. But probably not, since you're his friend.

Save your advice for people who have asked for AND paid for it. Most of them will still ignore it, but fewer than those who get the advice unasked for and free.