billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A bodybuilding mentality

Steve Reeves once said something to the effect of "train as hard as you possibly can in the gym, but once you leave the gym, live as a person not as a bodybuilder". (sorry for lack of actual quote)

So essentially, he's saying that when you're out of the gym, you should leave that part of your life behind you and focus on other aspects of life.

Do you think this gives you more balance, and thus allows for more success in bodybuilding? Or do you think bodybuilding must be all consuming for everyone?
    wants moar chicken breasts

leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    to a certain extent, its a good way to look at it, so your not a guy hoping he makes the big bucks out of the sport and never does, leaving you poor.

but you cant leave it all in the gym, what about the diet etc
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

""STATS""

Squat - 385lbs

Deadlift - 473lbs

Bench - 286lbs x 1

Owes me reps;

billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10) billy. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i agree with you. IMO diet takes a lot of effort and focus. I'm not saying I agree with Steve Reeves, rather I can't imagine how he looked like he does without having to be 100% focused on diet like the rest of successful bodybuilders (pros or not) seem to be.

leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) leppa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah i think a better way to put it is to just have a job outside of bodybuilding, dont rely on bodybuilding itself as an income
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

""STATS""

Squat - 385lbs

Deadlift - 473lbs

Bench - 286lbs x 1

Owes me reps;

mhm. I was more getting at the whole psych of thinking about the gym/nutrition/your body 24/7, as opposed to having a sort of balance on the things you focus on and your priorities in a grander scheme. less about saying that bodybuilding has to be an income..;

but you are right.

corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) corradoR32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I hear the word "vain" a lot by people who don't work out.
    "Ain't nothing to it but to do it"-Ronnie Coleman

Trust yourselves, get out there and work like hell!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113690301&page=19

Become Your Own Greatness x800venom's Avatar
    x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It means keep your mind open. Be passionate about your passion, but be smart about it as well, be practical. If your goal in life is to become a IFBB Pro, then great. Give it your all in the gym. Maintain a proper diet and cycle safely yet effectively in proportion to your goals. However being reasonable means that you must be aware that only the contracted Pros and only the top placing contracted pros at that make their living off bodybuilding altogether. Most of them have part time or full time jobs and many even have their own gym or small business. There is nothing wrong about devoting your time and sweat into your passion, however be smart about it.

Branch Warren is an EXCELLENT example of this concept.

iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by billy. View Post
    i agree with you. IMO diet takes a lot of effort and focus. I'm not saying I agree with Steve Reeves, rather I can't imagine how he looked like he does without having to be 100% focused on diet like the rest of successful bodybuilders (pros or not) seem to be.
    He was a farm boy - his "average" diet was probably a lot of meat with side vegies and quite large.

siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by corradoR32 View Post
    I hear the word "vain" a lot by people who don't work out.
    LOL yea when people say to me if you go to the gym you are vain...

its so easy to come back to that when the person saying it to you is a skinny fat guy that has $400 ****ing jeans lol
    I wish it lasted, forever.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I take it as more "life advice" than just bbing advice. When your endeavor has a short useful time span, you better have something else to fall back on.

Reeves was no great actor, by any stretch of the imagination, but he was good enough to get roles (with his body, too, of course). So it was another goal he had that he had to practice at it to get better, and thus add to his life.

My Dad gave the same advice. He was a pro basketball player, but also went to school and got a bachelor's degree in math and teaching. When he broke his leg and it ended his career, he became a teacher and coach for the rest of his life.
    Time To Re-Schedule

fear nothing, regret less DJ6808's Avatar
    DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJ6808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    unless you are the epitome of a genetic freak, you need to eat sleep and breath bodybuilding if you want to be any good.
    i'd eat the ass off a rhino if it would make me huge.
    -G-diesal
    21 yrs old 210 lbs
    west chester university (nutrition and dietetics major)
    rugby player (flanker)
    best bench:330
    best dead:500
    This summer: 12 week test cyp and d-bol cycle.
    End goal: earn pro card and someday qualify for the arnold.

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DJ6808 View Post
    unless you are the epitome of a genetic freak, you need to eat sleep and breath bodybuilding if you want to be any good.
    /thread

balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000) balls2wall is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by x800venom View Post
    It means keep your mind open. Be passionate about your passion, but be smart about it as well, be practical. If your goal in life is to become a IFBB Pro, then great. Give it your all in the gym. Maintain a proper diet and cycle safely yet effectively in proportion to your goals. However being reasonable means that you must be aware that only the contracted Pros and only the top placing contracted pros at that make their living off bodybuilding altogether. Most of them have part time or full time jobs and many even have their own gym or small business. There is nothing wrong about devoting your time and sweat into your passion, however be smart about it.

Branch Warren is an EXCELLENT example of this concept.
    Holy ****! strong back bro