Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lunges and Squats

To work my legs, I do squats. The main muscles worked in both of them are both quads and hamstrings. I don't see a reason to keep lunges in my workout so far. Are lunges the better choice? Or should I put in both?

dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Squats are better but lunges are a good exercise towards the end of your workout.

But it really depends on how your routine is structured to decide if they belong or not.

Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sleepstream has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Even though I've accepted that squats are better in terms of working the main muscles more, I find that lunges end up working my stablizers more. My preference also leans towards lunges since I can just grab some DBs and start lunging around my gym. This at least increases the fun of my workout since I'm not stuck in the same place when doing my exercises.

I wouldn't suggest just having lunges in your workout since squats tend to be the better mass builder. But I must say that my legs responded better to higher volume lunges than they did to higher volume squats.

dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    use squats for the core of your workout, and use lunges as an accessory lift. Theres no reason to exclude certain exercises, you can always very things. Keep a variety in your workout it will help you to stay motivated.
    I hate POGs that pretend to be hard ass warriors

Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unilateral lifts such as lunges, bulgarian squats, etc help with any muscle imbalanees between the left and right side of the body and helps the stablizers. I would keep them in and do them at least once a week.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Ibanez View Post
    Unilateral lifts such as lunges, bulgarian squats, etc help with any muscle imbalanees between the left and right side of the body and helps the stablizers. I would keep them in and do them at least once a week.
    They also hit the glutes MUCH harder than bilateral lifts
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    exactly

Id so squats first....but then as a second movement do lunges or bench step ups or bulgarians or something similar

lunges are simply one of the best lower body exercises out there
    "Humility comes before honor"

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bingo

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff

100% Natural Bodybuilder SB100%Natural's Avatar
    SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    To work my legs, I do squats. The main muscles worked in both of them are both quads and hamstrings. I don't see a reason to keep lunges in my workout so far. Are lunges the better choice? Or should I put in both?
    The lunge is great fo hitting the glutes, upper hams and to an extent the quads. You should incorperate both into your program to get fully developed quads/legs. The hams are not greatly involved in the squat by the way.

US Army Soldier Medic DempseyFan's Avatar
    DempseyFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DempseyFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DempseyFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DempseyFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dbcb314 View Post
    Squats are better but lunges are a good exercise towards the end of your workout.

But it really depends on how your routine is structured to decide if they belong or not.
    I do a fullbody routine, but ****. I start with squats, legcurls halfway through, and my legs just get fried by lunges. They're great.
    "Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body."-Jack Dempsey

"In the ring, I never really knew fear."
    -Rocky Marciano

"Why waltz 10 rounds with an opponent if you can KO him in one?" -Rocky Marciano.