Thread: rounding back

trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

rounding back

WEll ive rounded my back on a body weight exerciser only Absolutly no back problem.

I been doing it 6 times a week for 3 months my back feels stronger than ever.

SO this don't round your back I think it might only be for peopel who have had a disk hernaite before.

What you think?

coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by trytogetbetter View Post
    WEll ive rounded my back on a body weight exerciser only Absolutly no back problem.

SO this don't round your back I think it might only be for peopel who have had a disk hernaite before.

What you think?
    I think you will eventually have back problems. Listen to those in the know and stop rounding your back or you will pay the price.
    High School Strength Coach, M.S., CSCS, PES

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

What you think?
    What do I think about what? Are you speaking of a specific exercise?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

**S U P E R B E A S T** Meatpants's Avatar
    Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you saying that you think rounding your back has helped you, or is a good thing?
    To whom much is given, much is expected.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

Location: Barnard Castle, Co. Durham, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Rounded back for bent over exercises or squats etc = poor disc alignment = increased risk of injury.

Anybody actually choosing to round their back during any exercise that loads the back up is totally beyond me, it would be interesting to know the weights that are being used with this posture!?

Also, I note that you are doing whatever it is your talking about 6 times per week, what is this that isn't causing overtraing!?
    Last edited by tophalf; 04-22-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Addition
    Smart training, maximum intensity, correct nutrition, enough rest and most of all dedication and consistency...........it ain't rocket science, it's much much harder.

Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133983061

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I recently read an article by a physical therapist about this very issue. It made a lot of sense. The point was not to fear rounding your back to pick things up as our body was designed to do so and should or risk making certain muscle too weak, just don't lift heavy objects this way. So if you are saying that just rounding your back up and down wth no weight has been beneficial, it makes total sense to me. I have done the same and feel it has helped my back.

tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tophalf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by NYkarate View Post
    I recently read an article by a physical therapist about this very issue. It made a lot of sense. The point was not to fear rounding your back to pick things up as our body was designed to do so and should or risk making certain muscle too weak, just don't lift heavy objects this way. So if you are saying that just rounding your back up and down wth no weight has been beneficial, it makes total sense to me. I have done the same and feel it has helped my back.
    Reading that it does make sense and having re-read the original post he does state bodyweight exercise only.
    Smart training, maximum intensity, correct nutrition, enough rest and most of all dedication and consistency...........it ain't rocket science, it's much much harder.

Journal:

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

What you think?
    I think this is the question of an adolescent.
    Any mature adult would research the proper way to do an exercise, especially if there is stress on the back.
    If there is stress there are warnings about rounding a healthy back.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    I think this is the question of an adolescent.
    Any mature adult would research the proper way to do an exercise, especially if there is stress on the back.
    If there is stress there are warnings about rounding a healthy back.
    Exactly. Bodyweight exercises with a rounded back do not equal 2x-bodyweight deadlifts.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have no idea what exercise you're talking about.

Doesn't sound like a good way to train.

What you think?
    I think there are times when you need to round your lower back. I'm sure I round mine when I tie my shoes, but I'd never round it when I'm box squatting 650 pounds.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    't round your back I think it might only be for peopel who have had a disk hernaite before.
    What you think?
    I think rounding one's back under loaded (static and dynamic) conditions is a contributor to disc herniation.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    I'm sure I round mine when I tie my shoes, but I'd never round it when I'm box squatting 650 pounds.
    Ha ha, quality, good point.

Journal:

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tophalf View Post
    Reading that it does make sense and having re-read the original post he does state bodyweight exercise only.
    I think everyone else on the thread has made the assumption he was talking about rounding with a heavy load. I didnMt read that in his post at all.

Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think everyone else on the thread has made the assumption he was talking about rounding with a heavy load. I didnMt read that in his post at all.
    Your right. I have mistook this for a BB site.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

What you think?
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can round your back when stretching moving doing yoga or whatever suits your fancy however when generating who knows maybe thousands of pounds per square inch on your spine in a rounded posture its not will you get hurt its when! I see idiots do it every day but its their life if they want to walk around (or roll depending on how bad they hurt themselves) in pain for the rest of their life so they can say they dead lifted squatted or whatever X amount of weight once then thats their choice.

Imagine having a watermelon seed between your fingers press straight down as hard as you can and it will stay there as long as your fingers are parallel, now put your fingers at an angle and squeeze......... that is your overloaded spine pushing out a disc. If you dont see the danger in that then best of luck to you!

Human beings werent meant to lift the weights that we are capable of lifting today they were designed for survival. Modern man because of society has the luxury of pursuing sports and specializing in things that would lead to his demise in a more primitive setting. Dont think for a minute that the laws of physics dont apply to you for some reason

Originally Posted by Meatpants View Post
    Your right. I have mistook this for a BB site.
    So we are only allowed to discuss exercises that involve heavy iron? Where is the sticky on that one? I guess we shouldn't talk about light weight rotator cuff exercises either. My bad.

trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trytogetbetter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by rob440 View Post
    You can round your back when stretching moving doing yoga or whatever suits your fancy however when generating who knows maybe thousands of pounds per square inch on your spine in a rounded posture its not will you get hurt its when! I see idiots do it every day but its their life if they want to walk around (or roll depending on how bad they hurt themselves) in pain for the rest of their life so they can say they dead lifted squatted or whatever X amount of weight once then thats their choice.

Imagine having a watermelon seed between your fingers press straight down as hard as you can and it will stay there as long as your fingers are parallel, now put your fingers at an angle and squeeze......... that is your overloaded spine pushing out a disc. If you dont see the danger in that then best of luck to you!

Human beings werent meant to lift the weights that we are capable of lifting today they were designed for survival. Modern man because of society has the luxury of pursuing sports and specializing in things that would lead to his demise in a more primitive setting. Dont think for a minute that the laws of physics dont apply to you for some reason
    maby there noobies you should tell them its bad.

So we are only allowed to discuss exercises that involve heavy iron? Where is the sticky on that one? I guess we shouldn't talk about light weight rotator cuff exercises either. My bad.
    Not at all. I was referring to your comment about everyone making assumptions about what hes doing. I just assumed that someone asking such a question, or statement, was referring to moving heavier weights.

Don't get all butt hurt.

Not at all. I was referring to your comment about everyone making assumptions about what hes doing. I just assumed that someone asking such a question, or statement, was referring to moving heavier weights.

Don't get all butt hurt.
    Not butt hurt at all. The guy said bodyweight in his post.

Not butt hurt at all. The guy said bodyweight in his post.
    And I missed that, as seems most others did as well.

And I missed that, as seems most others did as well.
    Exactly my point.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Human beings werent meant to lift the weights that we are capable of lifting today they were designed for survival.
    I disagree, we're capable because we're meant to.

Modern man because of society has the luxury of pursuing sports and specializing in things that would lead to his demise in a more primitive setting.
    Modern man became modern man because things didn't lead to his demise. God gave us abilities that most people never explore because of attitudes like yours.

Dont think for a minute that the laws of physics dont apply to you for some reason
    Who thinks it doesn't?
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    my question is what is a "body weight exerciser"? and how is its exercises performed?

Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    my question is what is a "body weight exerciser"? and how is its exercises performed?
    Push-ups, pull-ups, crunches all done with no additional weight are considered bodyweight exercises. If you just round your back standing up, it is like doing a crunch standing instead of on your back.

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    I disagree, we're capable because we're meant to.

Modern man became modern man because things didn't lead to his demise. God gave us abilities that most people never explore because of attitudes like yours.

Who thinks it doesn't?
    You took my comments completely out of the context I intended. I agree with what you said all I meant was that it would have been impractical, less than optimal to live in a primative setting with a body like that of todays bodybuilding superstar.

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    I read OP as saying that because he didn't suffer any injury while rounding his back doing body weight exercises that the rule about not rounding your back (which is understood by most to be applicable when doing certain exercises with a HEAVY LOAD) was B.S. and should be ignored. In saying THAT, he was just plain wrong.

I can do all sorts of things with no extra weight that would definitely be unsafe if I did them while carrying a bar with several hundred pounds on it.
    Overweight and arrogant

Sure would be nice for the OP to come back to the thread he started and clarify his original point for everyone.....