VeniceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VeniceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VeniceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 months and confusing results

I've been going to the gym now for a bout 3 months and I am seeing results in the mirror and the way my clothes fit, less belly bulge and I have gone from a 35 -36 waist to a 32 waist, and my weight has gone from 168 to 151. But my body fat has only gone from 29% to 26%. I'm thinking that my electronic body fat scale is a liar.

TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Electronic body fat scales are garbage. You're doing great, keep it up!
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, those scales are notoriously inaccurate. However, it is entirely possible you are still at 26% if you've lost both muscle and fat. If your workout consists of mainly aerobic exercises (elliptical, treadmill, etc) you may just be a smaller version of your former self. What's the term, 'skinny fat'?

BTW, still good job getting down to 150lbs.

VeniceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VeniceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VeniceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
    Yes, those scales are notoriously inaccurate. However, it is entirely possible you are still at 26% if you've lost both muscle and fat. If your workout consists of mainly aerobic exercises (elliptical, treadmill, etc) you may just be a smaller version of your former self. What's the term, 'skinny fat'?

BTW, still good job getting down to 150lbs.
    Well Ive been doing weight work at the gym day one arms, shoulders and abs, day two cardio , 1.5 to 2.0 hours on the bicycle, day three legs and back, repeat cycle. So I can't see why I would be losing muscle mass. Perhaps I should change the routine a bit, maybe day one arms shoulders and abs, day two legs and back, day three cardio, and repeat that cycle.

w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w0rd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Try to pay attention more to the mirror and how your clothes fit !

bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by VeniceGuy View Post
    Well Ive been doing weight work at the gym day one arms, shoulders and abs, day two cardio , 1.5 to 2.0 hours on the bicycle, day three legs and back, repeat cycle. So I can't see why I would be losing muscle mass. Perhaps I should change the routine a bit, maybe day one arms shoulders and abs, day two legs and back, day three cardio, and repeat that cycle.
    Whats your diet look like? If you aren't getting adequate protein you could be losing muscle mass.

That and you could probably lighten up a bit on the amount of time you are doing the bike. 1.5-2hrs is quite a long time, and it could turn a bit catabolic. Split the cardio up to less time, more frequency.
    Last edited by bradandblake; 05-19-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Originally Posted by bradandblake View Post
    Whats your diet look like? If you aren't getting adequate protein you could be losing muscle mass.
    My diet is good very few bad carbs, lots of veggies and lean beef and chicken. Very little dairy. On a day when I don't eat enough protein I supplement it with a protein shake.

bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My diet is good very few bad carbs, lots of veggies and lean beef and chicken. Very little dairy. On a day when I don't eat enough protein I supplement it with a protein shake.
    Do you count or track your macros? How many calories and how much protein grams per day? If you don't, then visit http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You'll need to be a bit more specific with your info. 1.5 to 2.0 of cardio can be way too much or ok depending on if you're going hard or leisurely.

As far as the lifting goes, you're listing body parts not exercises. When you say legs are you doing Leg press, leg curl and leg extension? Or are you doing Barbell Squats and Lunges (There is a huge difference here). Another question that needs answered is are you lifting heavy with progression or are you lifting a light amount of weight for a lot of reps. Again this would make a huge difference the first is building muscle where as the second is merely a higher intensity cardio. (There are various degrees in between though)

Finally, How is your diet? How much are you eating? Are you "starving" yourself? Is your diet mostly carbs with minimal protein and fats? Or are you eating 1gm of Protein per pound of body weight, 0.4g of fat per lb of body weight and filling in the rest with carbs?

Answering these questions honestly will allow the people on here to help you much better.

Regards,
    Bruce
    ()---() York Barbell Club #26 ()---()
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #34 ||---||
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #74 []---[]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #10 ──<//>─<\\>──

Workout Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150771833

Originally Posted by brucedelaney View Post
    You'll need to be a bit more specific with your info. 1.5 to 2.0 of cardio can be way too much or ok depending on if you're going hard or leisurely.

As far as the lifting goes, you're listing body parts not exercises. When you say legs are you doing Leg press, leg curl and leg extension? Or are you doing Barbell Squats and Lunges (There is a huge difference here). Another question that needs answered is are you lifting heavy with progression or are you lifting a light amount of weight for a lot of reps. Again this would make a huge difference the first is building muscle where as the second is merely a higher intensity cardio. (There are various degrees in between though)

Finally, How is your diet? How much are you eating? Are you "starving" yourself? Is your diet mostly carbs with minimal protein and fats? Or are you eating 1gm of Protein per pound of body weight, 0.4g of fat per lb of body weight and filling in the rest with carbs?

Answering these questions honestly will allow the people on here to help you much better.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Well the cardio is moderate, with sprints, it's on a regular road racing style bicycle, the weights I have been lifting is progressively heavier, I start with a weight that I can do 15 reps, then increase the weight to a point where 8 reps is all I can do and do two set at that weight, and then I do one more set of the light set that I started with. So thats 15, 8, 8, and 15.My diets is in the 2000 to 2200 calorie range, something like 60% protein, 25% fat and 15% carbs.

brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well the cardio is moderate, with sprints, it's on a regular road racing style bicycle, the weights I have been lifting is progressively heavier, I start with a weight that I can do 15 reps, then increase the weight to a point where 8 reps is all I can do and do two set at that weight, and then I do one more set of the light set that I started with. So thats 15, 8, 8, and 15.My diets is in the 2000 to 2200 calorie range, something like 60% protein, 25% fat and 15% carbs.
    Adding weight is good, What exercises are you doing? Compound lifts will do a lot more to burn fat then isolation moves will.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #26 ()---()
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #34 ||---||
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #74 []---[]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #10 ──<//>─<\\>──

Workout Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150771833

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TubbyDad View Post
    Electronic body fat scales are garbage. You're doing great, keep it up!
    Yeah mine is ridiculous some of the % it tells me. Totally inaccurate, mine was saying I was like 30% in my AVI but I had it tested at 14% at the time. Now it's saying I'm 27%.

Pic from last night (yes crappy pic but I'm no where near 27%).
    You rock a piss, I'm gonna rock some Mitchell

TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by scullin View Post
    Yeah mine is ridiculous some of the % it tells me. Totally inaccurate, mine was saying I was like 30% in my AVI but I had it tested at 14% at the time. Now it's saying I'm 27%.

Pic from last night (yes crappy pic but I'm no where near 27%).
    Haha, that's hilarious.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally Posted by brucedelaney View Post
    Adding weight is good, What exercises are you doing? Compound lifts will do a lot more to burn fat then isolation moves will.
    Well I've mostly been using the machines at the gym, for arms chest and shoulders, chest press, chin up, fly, and seated row, for abs the ab/crunch machine. For legs I've been using the leg press, leg extension, seated leg curl, standing calf, hip adduction and hip abduction machines.

Mine says I am 22-24%. LOL, yeah sure.