Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Squat form - according to physical therapist.

Hey guys, I've been posting here for a while now. I used to squat 225lbs with going past parallel. However, I got injured and was unaware that my left QL muscle was extremely hyperactive and would activate everytime i squat. The past year I've been doing squats from ranges of bar-225 with low reps (1-3 with heavy and 5-10 with light)
    Here's an example

I have experimented with so many different rehabs including the 3x25 squats/day. Despite this, i still felt my QL activate. Now, my physical therapist told me that my hip and femur mechanics don't allow me to go to parallel without placing my hips at an unstable position (Which makes sense because I always feel the instability once I get to or pass parallel even at 95lbs squat.)

Couple of months ago, I've completely stopped Squatting and started doing glute bridges. The pain has been slowly subsiding. PT also told me to try partial squats (above parallel) - remarkably, I don't feel my QL activating when I do partial squats. Also, I feel my glutes and hamstrings fire up a lot when I do partial squats. So I guess my question is, is there really a truth behind at parallel - or below - squatting even if you feel the glutes and hamstrings activate?

- partial squat

Glute bridge

NOTE: I really don't want to think that I'm a special snow flake. it's just that I've researched months and months on this without a solution. I've been to 4 physical therapists (2 sports), 1 neurologist, 1 neurosurgeon, and one chiro.

I got an MRI and they said that I have stenosis at my L5 and S1. So far, I feel that I could've healed my back injury by just squatting above parallel and doing glute bridge.

i know I'm gonna get burned here but I just really wanna know if this is sustainable (partial squats). Also, it's probably important to note that I am not competing or anything, this is just a hobby.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What the doctor said might be absolutely true for your individual body mechanics but likely not true for most ppl.

With the exception of my first year of training I have always done full depth high bar squats. The only time I've ever felt instability at the hips was due to:

1. Weak hamstrings from a previous upper hamstring injury which GHRs and RDLs help with.
    2. Lack of proper core bracing.

Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jolo911 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by k9pit View Post
    What the doctor said might be absolutely true for your individual body mechanics but likely not true for most ppl.

With the exception of my first year of training I have always done full depth high bar squats. The only time I've ever felt instability at the hips was due to:

1. Weak hamstrings from a previous upper hamstring injury which GHRs and RDLs help with.
    2. Lack of proper core bracing.
    That's the the thing. My first time around PT was based soley on activating my core as well as my hamstrings and glutes. They said I was quad dominant so I worked on the mind muscle connection for glutes as well as hips and core.

The weird thing is, when I glute bridge 300 something lbs, I don't experience any pain or discomfort, just hamstring and glute fatigue.
    I also OHP 135 3x5 with no pain. People say if I can overhead press properly, I should be able to squat since they both load the back in a similar fashion. However, I can't even squat ATG with 95lbs without my QL muscle activating (hurting) despite being able to OHP 135 with no pain.

So since I'm doing this as a hobby, can I do partial squats with glute bridge to sustain my leg development without having knee pain/injury?

Thank you

JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Have you tried low bar wide stance PL style squatting?
    - Would be more hammie activation over quads

Your high bar atg o-squats look pretty awkward with your limb/body shape/lengths.
    Lower back control/arching:
    - Arching your back will not flatten out your lower back.
    - Lower back is arched by tilting your crotch towards your knees.

Counterintuitive? 101% so!

---
    A muscle can be either Medial to the midline or Lateral to it.
    Therefore, there is no such thing as a medial/lateral delt.
    Lateral delt or MIDDLE delt please...

cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I highly doubt your body mechanics aren't able to do a squat; it is the most natural movement we have as humans. In my experience/what seems to always be true is your physical therapist is full of ****. Anybody who reccomends partial squats clearly doesn't know the biomechanics of the squat and the risks of injury in doing so. Also, anybody who talks about "your glutes hamstrings not firing", is a moronic argument. If you are in a squat position, the muscles are "firing" whether you want them to or bot. I'm sure if you follow the PT route you will be left endlessly going back to the PT getting your "prescribed/personal exercises" to fix a imbalance that is likely not there in the first place (or shouldnt be a problem if you learn to squat correctly.) I advise you to switch and learn the low bar squat, specifically the form taught in Mark Rippetoes book Starting Strength. Watch his video, and follow it, and I can almost guarantee you'll be able to squat. The low bar squat allows most ppl to move more weight, with less knee mobility, and use of the posterior chain more, which you seem to be looking for anyways.

EDIT: just realized you have been dealing with injury. I still think the best bet of action is seeing a starting strength coach and explaining your problems to them and let them help you. Coming to a forum seeking medical advice is never really a good thing to do, especially if your problem is a rare thing
    Last edited by cartermathis; 04-23-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    "Aesthetics aside, heavier is eventually necessary if stronger is to occur, and once most people see that weight gain actually makes them look better (amazingly enough), they become less resistant to the idea." -Mark Rippetoe

Originally Posted by JOoa0ky View Post
    Have you tried low bar wide stance PL style squatting?
    - Would be more hammie activation over quads

Your high bar atg o-squats look pretty awkward with your limb/body shape/lengths.
    I have tried wide stance squatting and it still messes

Originally Posted by cartermathis View Post
    I highly doubt your body mechanics aren't able to do a squat; it is the most natural movement we have as humans. In my experience/what seems to always be true is your physical therapist is full of ****. Anybody who reccomends partial squats clearly doesn't know the biomechanics of the squat and the risks of injury in doing so. Also, anybody who talks about "your glutes hamstrings not firing", is a moronic argument. If you are in a squat position, the muscles are "firing" whether you want them to or bot. I'm sure if you follow the PT route you will be left endlessly going back to the PT getting your "prescribed/personal exercises" to fix a imbalance that is likely not there in the first place (or shouldnt be a problem if you learn to squat correctly.) I advise you to switch and learn the low bar squat, specifically the form taught in Mark Rippetoes book Starting Strength. Watch his video, and follow it, and I can almost guarantee you'll be able to squat. The low bar squat allows most ppl to move more weight, with less knee mobility, and use of the posterior chain more, which you seem to be looking for anyways.
    I have watched his video a million times.
    I have even watched the So you think you can squat
    I've watched athlean X
    Scottherman
    Omarisuf
    stronglifts (MEHDI)
    Also, I have his book and have read deadlift and squats over and over again.
    How to Squat: The Definitive Guide - by stronger science

Honestly, I've done more research on this than stuff for my career, lol.
    I even highlight things on rippetoe's book lol

The therapist said that my QL is hyperactive and that I might be able to squat @ or below parallel once I retrain my CNS on how to activate the proper muscles.

jhnes19 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    mmm i see