Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Dear Diary (okay, just kidding)

Hey! New kid here, going to start my journey through Starting Strength (and eventually beyond).

A bit about me: I'm a college student who's been a long distance runner for the past couple years, which has left me pretty small. I've been lifting light for a year, but more to help my running than to actually build significant amounts of muscle.

I starting hitting the gym around a month and half ago, lifting heavy, eating more, and cutting way down on the cardio. I'm beginning Starting Strength (Babylovers) and am planning on getting a good baseline, and I'll see where I go from there!

Here are my Starting Lifts:
    Squat - 65lbs
    Bench - 35lbs
    Pendley Row - 35lbs
    Deadlift - 95lbs
    Overhead Press - 35lbs
    Chinups - -50lbs assisted
    Dips - -45lbs assisted

I'd love to hear any feedback or advice or even just comments, so feel free to add. And...here we go

Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000) Cardioconvert is just really nice. (+1000)
    Welcome Fellow distance runner here (though, if you are a college student, I have been running distances longer than you have been alive ). Cut back my mileage a lot this year to focus on training weights.

What are you studying at school?

I haven't done Starting Strength but a lot of the gals around here have - hopefully they will drop by and lend some comments / feedback.

Looking foward to reading your journey!

CC
    “Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.” Alex Karras

Follow me on IG: @Cardioconvert

Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wednesday 10/3/12
    Squat: 3x5 65lbs
    Bench: 3x5 35lbs
    Pendley Row: 3x5 35lbs
    Chinups: 3x5 -50lbs

15 minutes of elliptical (10 minutes elliptical, 5 minutes steady)
    Stretching/Foam Rolling

Friday 10/5/12
    Squat: 3x5 70lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 95lbs
    OH Press: 3x5 35lbs
    Dips: 3x5 -45lbs

Stretching/Foam Rolling

Originally Posted by Cardioconvert View Post
    Welcome Fellow distance runner here (though, if you are a college student, I have been running distances longer than you have been alive ). Cut back my mileage a lot this year to focus on training weights.

What are you studying at school?

I haven't done Starting Strength but a lot of the gals around here have - hopefully they will drop by and lend some comments / feedback.

Looking foward to reading your journey!

CC
    Thanks for popping in! I'm undeclared but am leaning toward a Math/Computer Science double major...although I may reevaluate after my Calculus II final :P

I've cut out practically all of my running for now, other than the sporadic couple mile jog, but I'll definitely come back to it in the future. My mom is a great runner -- she's past fifty and recently did a half -- and it's something we can share, which is really nice.

Sunday 10/7/12
    Squat: 3x5 80lbs
    Bench: 3x5 45lbs
    Pendley Row: 3x5 45lbs
    Chinups: 3x5 -40.5lbs

Stretching/Foam Rolling
    Hour of Judo

I usually do my lifting on Monday-Wednesday-Friday, but I'm busy this Friday and so I shifted everything forward a day for this week.

I jumped all of my lifts by 10lbs instead of 5lbs--partially by accident on my squats (I though I did 75lbs last time) and partially because I needed to use a normal barbell for my bench and row. All of my weights still felt relatively light (except the chins), so I think it's fine, especially because I started my weights fairly low after screwing everything up with the unlabeled 35lb barbells in my gym.

My shift starts at six thirty tomorrow morning. Monday mornings are no fun :/

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hahaha! Love your name Worcestershire sauce is awesome!
    Last edited by gobbles23; 10-08-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

Tuesday 10/9/12
    Squat: 3x5 85lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 105lbs
    OH Press: 2x5, 1x4 45lbs
    Dips: 3x5 -40.5lbs

Stretching/Foam rolling

No regimented cardio today, but I got in a couple mile jog yesterday, so no worries there.

Today overall felt pretty good. I was definitely working harder than the last similar workout, but I think I kept my form together. I failed on the last OHP, so I guess I'll stick with 45lbs next time as well. I'm not completely surprised: I jumped 10lbs from last time, which isn't normal, but I wanted to get under a full bar so I knew for sure how much weight I was using, and I didn't have to use dumbells (which there isn't anything wrong with, it's just a different type of movement and I'm not quite certain on what the correct form is).

Originally Posted by gobbles23 View Post
    Hahaha! Love your name Worcestershire sauce is awesome!
    Aw thanks! Yes, it makes (almost) everything taste better. Well, everything savory, that is. Maybe not so much ice cream :P

Although with all the weird flavors they have now, you really never know...

Thursday 10/11/12
    Squat: 3x5 90lbs
    Bench: 3x5 50lbs
    Pendley Row: 3x5 50lbs
    Chinups: 1x5, 1x4, 1x3 -37.5lbs

Stretching/Foam Rolling

I squatted barefoot today, which went fairly well. I usually go to the gym in running tennies, but I keep hearing that flat (or no) shoes are far superior. I guess I'll keep it up for the next couple workouts and see how it works out.

My last squat was very slow, but otherwise everything else went fairly smoothly. I hope my weights keep progressing as they are now...I'm pretty excited to hit a triple diget squat.

I'll be out for Friday-Sunday as I'm visiting some friends in the city, but I should be back in the gym on Monday. I should also be able to take some video, and I'll post it here and hopefully get some useful feedback from all of the experienced lifters here

KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Worcestershire View Post
    Thursday 10/11/12
    Squat: 3x5 90lbs
    Bench: 3x5 50lbs
    Pendley Row: 3x5 50lbs
    Chinups: 1x5, 1x4, 1x3 -37.5lbs

Stretching/Foam Rolling

I squatted barefoot today, which went fairly well. I usually go to the gym in running tennies, but I keep hearing that flat (or no) shoes are far superior. I guess I'll keep it up for the next couple workouts and see how it works out.

My last squat was very slow, but otherwise everything else went fairly smoothly. I hope my weights keep progressing as they are now...I'm pretty excited to hit a triple diget squat.

I'll be out for Friday-Sunday as I'm visiting some friends in the city, but I should be back in the gym on Monday. I should also be able to take some video, and I'll post it here and hopefully get some useful feedback from all of the experienced lifters here
    Not far off those three digit squats!!
    Have a nice long weekend away...

Will be following along
    "Be true to the best you know. This is your high ideal. If you do your best, you cannot do more."
    Dresses, H. W.

My Log :

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148491933

Monday 10/15/12
    Squat: 3x5 65lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 95lbs
    OH Press: 3x5 35lbs
    Dips: 3x5 -44lbs

Lots of foam rolling.

Today was really tough. I spent the entire weekend walking around with about 40lbs of stuff: I went shopping, and while I got some much needed winter clothing, I had to carry everything back, walking from the bus to the metro to another bus to the train to my dorm. First world problems, I guess :P. I had judo as soon as I got back last night as well, and we did a lot of throwing, pins, wresting, and strength/flexibility exercises. After judo I had to buy groceries for the week (dining hall is closed) and haul them about a mile back to campus. Thankfully I had a couple friends with me--I wouldn't have made it back otherwise--but I guess all of that put together really took a lot out of me, because I just couldn't do anything in the gym today. Plus, my shoulders, traps, and back are sorer than I can ever remember them being just from this weekend. Who needs the gym, eh? ;P

I plan on really catching up on sleep and food over the next couple of days...maybe it was all of the walking, because I've been starving all of today, which I've definitely honored I plan on hitting the weights hard on Wednesday after resting up, and getting at least back to my normal lifts. Also, I finally got my microplates in the mail! Four 1.25lb plates, which should certainly help me keep a more linear progression, especially as I'm such a light weight.

Anyway, this weekend was a blast, and it was definitely worth it!

Originally Posted by KellyP92 View Post
    Not far off those three digit squats!!
    Have a nice long weekend away...

Will be following along
    Thanks, I appreciate you dropping by! Almost to the big 100...so close, but so far!

Wednesday 10/17/12
    Squat: 3x5 85lbs
    Bench: 3x5 55lbs
    Pendley Row: 3x5 52.5lbs
    Chinups: 3x5 -45lbs

Foam Rolling, 20 min walking on treadmill.

Today was a lot better, but I'm still incredibly sore. I'm considering switching from Starting Strength to another work out...I know it's a fantastic program, but I don't know if my legs can handle squatting three times a week. I've been getting plenty of food and sleep this week--I have a break--and I still haven't completely recovered up to my full squats, so I don't know how I'll be able to handle it in the future when college starts back up and I can't get 9 hours of sleep a night. I think I can tell when I overwork: I want to eat everything, I get super tired, and my lifts stall or go down, which has happened twice in the past couple weeks.

I'm considering Maximum Strength:
    amazon. com/Maximum-Strength-Strongest-Ultimate-Weight-Training/product-reviews/1600940579/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
    (delete space before "com")

because it got fantastic reviews, it has an upper/lower split twice a week, and I've already been doing a few of the mobility exercises, which seem like a good idea to avoid future injury. It alternates workout intensity and has a focus on getting a strong and balance body.

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback or advice, I'd love to hear

inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree that it's really hard to do squats 3 times a week adding 5 each time. More often than not I ended up squatting 2x a week, three to four days apart. If you are seeing gains I would stick with the program. I don't know anything about maximum strength, but the simplicity of starting strength can't be beat and the results are really worth it.

So, I'm beginning Maximum Strength on Monday. Today was the testing day or so-called "Packing day" to see where my lifts really are. My results:

Warmup Mobility Exercises

Broad Jump: 67 inches
    1RM Squat: 105lbs
    1RM Bench: 65lbs
    1RM Deadlift: 135lbs
    3RM Chinup: -35.5lbs
    (Unofficial) 1RM Chinup: -25lbs

Plus some cardio on the elliptical.

The one thing that really attracted me to this program was not only the emphasis on the importance of mobility, foam rolling, and stretching exercises before working out, but the focus on functional strength, flexibility, and overall fitness. The basic plan is:

Monday: lower
    Tuesday: cardio/off
    Wednesday: upper
    Thursday: cardio/form practice
    Friday: lower
    Saturday: upper
    Sunday: cardio/off

I'm pretty excited to start, and I'm planning to rest over the weekend and start fresh on Monday (the gym is closed anyway. Phooey :P). I know someone else who ran it and she really liked it (and her lifts are unbelievable now), so I hope it works half as well for me!

Originally Posted by inkblue View Post
    I agree that it's really hard to do squats 3 times a week adding 5 each time. More often than not I ended up squatting 2x a week, three to four days apart. If you are seeing gains I would stick with the program. I don't know anything about maximum strength, but the simplicity of starting strength can't be beat and the results are really worth it.
    Thanks for the advice. While the book was definitely helpful and I can see muscles I didn't even know I had before, I feel like Starting Strength isn't really working out for me, especially compared to when I first started it unofficially in August (although I didn't follow the program completely). I've stalled on my squats for the second time in three weeks even after deloading, and I don't know what else I would do if I cut them out for a day.

I started my first day of Maximum Strength. Today was lower body:

Warm up (Mobility exercises: foam rolling and stretches)

Squats 5x4 85lbs
    Speed Deadlifts 8x2 75lbs
    Walking Lunges 8x4 (per side) 60lbs (2 30lbs dumbbells)
    3x12 reverse crunches
    3x30s one-legged plank

10 minutes treadmill 15% incline 3.7mph (~2/3 mile)

I felt good today. The deadlifts felt way too easy, but they're supposed to be good for form and to improve pulling speed for regular deadlifts, so I guess I'll stick them out. The walking lunges killed me...not only the inner thigh work (which I guess I'm just not used to), but the grip work as well. I guess my forearms are really weak, because they were burning and cramping while holding onto the dumbbells, and they were definitely my limiting factor on weight, rather than my legs.

Tomorrow is cardio (15 minutes HIIT/intervals) and I'll be back on the weights on Wednesday with upper body. I'm kind of excited

Upper body day:

Warm up

Bench Press 2x4 57.5lbs, 3x4 55lbs
    Low-Incline DB Press 3x8 40lbs (2 20lb DBs)
    Seated Cable Row 4x10 50lbs
    Prone Trap raise 3x12 5lbs (2 2.5lb Dbs)
    Side-Lying External Rotation 3x8 5lbs
    3x30s/side Side Bridge

10 minutes treadmill 15% incline 3.8mph (~2/3 mile)

Today went well. My butt was killing me yesterday and today, from the weighted lunges...those are a great glute workout! I still got in my cardio yesterday, which was good. I'm not used to so much dumbell or isolation work, but I think it's good to do a mix of both to hit everything. The weight is ridiculously light on a couple of the moves, but it was more about flexibility, mobility, and correct movement than weight...they're definitely not a natural motion :P.

I survived my calc II and computer science midterms...although I guess it's too early to say that, as I haven't gotten my grades back *gulp.* Today, I also saw quite the couple at the gym who looked like a pair of aged hippies from the sixties. The guy was over 6ft and probably weighed less than I do, with skinny little legs in jean shorts. He had a long silver ponytail and beard, and I saw him using the pully station by grabbing a handle in each hand and swinging his arms back and forth by his sides like he was walking for at least 5 minutes. The lady (his wife?) was rather plump and apple shaped, and I'm pretty sure wasn't wearing any sort of bra :0 I think she ended up doing yoga. They were a bit strange, but really adorable together: I love seeing old couples who match perfectly <3.

Anyway, it's form practice/cardio tomorrow and legs again on Friday. I'll be back then!

Yesterday: Form practice
    Warmup
    Squats 1x20 35lbs
    Deadlifts 1x20 45lbs
    Overhead Squats 1x20 Broom Handle
    Pushups 1x20 (knee pushups)
    Dumbbell rows 1x20 20lbs
    Planks
    20 minutes treadmill 15% incline 3.5mph (~1.2 miles)

Today: Upper body

Warmup
    Squats 4x6 90bs
    Deadlifts 3x5 90lbs
    Split Squats 3x6 60lbs/leg
    Reverse Crunches 3x12
    One-legged planks 2x1min

10 minutes treadmill 15% incline 3.7mph (2/3 miles)

Everything's going pretty well. My movements feel much better, and my hip flexors aren't as tight as usual, so I think I'm getting more mobile, which is great. Upper body tomorrow

Long time no post! The hurricane closed the gym for a few days, and my Mom ended up visiting, which was lovely I did get to the gym (we went together ) but my routine was off a bit the remainder of last week and I wasn't really by a computer.

Anyhoo...back to the program.
    Last week (well, two weeks ago) was high intensity, so this week is "medium."

Warm up (Mobility exercises: foam rolling and stretches)

Box Squats 4x4 95lbs
    Speed Deadlifts 8x2 85lbs
    Walking Lunges 8x3 (per side) 70lbs (2 35lbs dumbbells)
    1x12 reverse crunches
    1x2min plank

Life is good, and it feels great to be back lifting...I went a bit stir crazy last week. Power outages are no fun, but I mostly just feel blessed that it wasn't worse, especially with all of the destruction in the surrounding areas. The storm also brought a cold front in, which I'm definitely less than excited about. I'm not used to this kind of weather: I can't believe I'll be living in the snow pretty soon! On a slightly more relevant note, my lifts have already gone up pretty well, so I'm loving those (semi) newbie gains

Cardio tomorrow, and a (small) job interview. Wish me luck!

Yesterday: 15 minutes Hard Intervals, stretching, etc.

Today: Upper body

Warm up

Bench Press 2x4 57.5lbs, 2x4 55lbs
    Low-Incline DB Press 3x8 40lbs (2 20lb DBs)
    Pendeley Rows 3x10 55lbs
    Prone Trap raise 3x12 5lbs (2 2.5lb Dbs)
    Side-Lying External Rotation 3x10 5lbs

Did great on my CompSci midterm, so yay for that. I need to choose classes for next semester, but all of the ones I want to take are at the same time, which is less than convenient.
    In other news...first snow today! For someone from the non-snowy part of the country it was pretty exciting

And life goes on...

Yesterday: Nada. Supposed to be cardio, but I had a six page paper due. Ergo no cardio.

Today: Lower

Warmup

Squats 4x6 92.5bs
    Deadlifts 3x5 115lbs
    Split Squats 3x5 60lbs/leg
    Reverse Crunches 3x12
    Pull Throughs 3x10 22.5lbs

10 minutes treadmill 15% incline 3.8mph (2/3 miles)

Bed time.

Preface Edit: The box squats I did on 11/5 were not proper box squats at 95lbs (for my future reference). More like normal squats onto a box. Anyway...

Today: Upper

Warmup

Overhead Press 4x5 45lbs
    Chinups 3x5 40.5lbs
    Pushups 3x6
    One-armed DB rows 3x7 30lbs
    Cable Shoulder Rotations 3x10 7.5lbs

5 minutes treadmill 15% incline 3.8mph, 10 minutes 10% 4mph (1 mile)

Yesterday: Lower

Warmup

Box Squats 1x8 85lbs (an oops), 8x3 100lbs
    Speed Deadlifts 10X2 90lbs
    Walking Lunges 4x8 70lbs

Today:

Stretching

15 minutes elliptical intervals (15 on/45 off), 5 minutes warmup/cooldown

Yesterday
    Upper body day:

Warm up

Bench Press 1x3 62.5lbs, 1x3 60lbs, 3x3 55.7lbs 3x3 55lbs
    Low-Incline DB Press 1x10, 1x8, 1x6 40lbs (2 20lb DBs)
    Pendley Rows 4x10 57.5lbs
    Prone Trap raise 3x12 7.5bs (2 3.25lb plates)
    Side-Lying External Rotation 3x8 5lbs

Absolutely killed by shoulders and chest. Unfortunately I'm not nearly as strong as I would like to be, and my progression on bench isn't even close to what it is for squats. I know I need to be patient, but I thought I would at least be able to bench 5 reps of 60lbs by now. Eh, the only thing I can do is keep working on it.

Nothing today (thursday). I guess it's my rest day, since I lift Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat, do cardio intervals on Tuesdays, and Judo on Sundays. Well, whatever I can fit into my schedule is good.

I've also registered for classes (yay!) Linear Algebra, Data Structures, Temas Culutrales de Espana, and Political Philosophy. I'm thinking about a major in Comp Sci, possibly a double major in Math (yikes!) with a minor in Philosophy. I really like the combination of theoretical, practical, and applicable logic in all three majors, especially because Philosophy gives me a bit of a humanities balance (and lets me fill my requirements). Hopefully I'll continue in Spanish as well...and maybe study abroad in Spain(?) which would be an amazing experience, although it may not be possible due to my class schedule and money (of course).

Anyway, if anyone pops in, I'd love to hear from you (about lifts or life in general!).

Yesterday:

Upper Body

Warm Up

Squat 6x6 95lbs
    Deadlifts 2x5 125lbs
    Split Squats 4x8/side 60lbs (2 30lb dumbbells)
    Pullthroughs 3x10 27.5lbs

Pretty proud of today, although it kicked my butt (literally). It's a high intensity week, so I definitely hope I'll get some good growth

Today:

Upper Body

Warm Up

Overhead Press 3x5 45lbs (stuck here, ugh)
    Chin ups 2x5 -37lbs, 2x5 -40.5lbs
    Dumbbell pushpress 3x6 20lbs/arm
    Pushups 4x8
    Dumbbell Rows 4x8 30lbs
    Shoulder Cable Rotation 3x10 7.5lbs

My overhead press is not moving . I pushed out a couple more pushups today though, so I suppose that's progress. I would love to be able to do a full pullup by the end of 2013...I think that's reasonable, right? That, and an unassisted handstand, and (eventually) to bench 100lbs. And to squat my bodyweight, although that should be coming far sooner Keep looking ahead, right?

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OH press is hard to increase - I feel your pain there. I think you can get a pullup within 6months - you're really dedicated and it looks like a decent program.

Nice goals though. I'm working on the handstand also - love it!

Also, hi!

KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KellyP92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well done on the progress so far!!
    That's definitely a realistic goal for your pull ups

You will be squatting your bodyweight in no time... I can't wait to be able to achieve this one, and get passed 25kg (55lbs) on bench press... Upper body strength I'm finding so much harder to up the weights! Uuurggh
    "Be true to the best you know. This is your high ideal. If you do your best, you cannot do more."
    Dresses, H. W.

My Log :

Today: Lower Body

Warm up

Squats: 2x8 90lbs, 5x3 100lbs
    Deadlifts 2x5 130lbs
    Walking Lunges 2x8/side 70lbs, 2x4/side 80lbs
    Pull throughs 3x10 32.5lbs

Last week was very high intensity (according to the program I'm running) and this week is supposed to be lower intensity, but the gym will be closed from Thur-Sun so I figured I'll push out good effort today and Wednesday for upper body and then get some well-deserved rest for the remainder of the week. Not exactly the program, but what can you do, ya know? I feel pretty good about today, and while I started out a bit sore, I actually feel much better after working out. I switched to mixed grip for my deadlifts, which I think has helped a lot considering I have a fairly weak grip and excessively sweaty hands.

Speaking of grip, I think mine's been getting a little better: I managed the 40lb dumbbells today (lunges), and while I didn't use them for long, I can actually feel that my forearms are just a bit bigger from when I started. I'll probably end up making a thread about grip strength to get some advice...especially when one has sweaty hands. No fun :P

And I got visitors! *Is overly excited.*

Originally Posted by tina722 View Post
    OH press is hard to increase - I feel your pain there. I think you can get a pullup within 6months - you're really dedicated and it looks like a decent program.

Nice goals though. I'm working on the handstand also - love it!

Also, hi!
    Hey That's good to hear about the pull ups: I can't wait for that accomplished feeling I'll get when I crank out my first one. I have a younger brother in high school, and whenever I happen to see him bust out a couple pull ups like it's nothing, I just watch with envy. Guys and their upper body strength :P

High-five for handstands, and let me know when you get there! I'm still using the wall quite a bit, but the (only) other girl who (I know that) lifts heavy at my gym is an ex-gymnast (gymnastics type) and is giving me some tips, which is super nice of her. Good luck on those!

Well done on the progress so far!!
    That's definitely a realistic goal for your pull ups

You will be squatting your bodyweight in no time... I can't wait to be able to achieve this one, and get passed 25kg (55lbs) on bench press... Upper body strength I'm finding so much harder to up the weights! Uuurggh
    Thanks Upper body lifts can be so frustrating, especially while watching things like deadlifts and squats jump with much greater weight. I'm sure you're a lot closer than you think with 25kgs! I've found that microplates (1.25lbs each) are useful, if you don't have them already.

Thanks for stopping by, both of you! I'll be sure to check out your journals, if you have them. It's always great to hear from other lifters, especially because I really don't have anyone else to talk to or get advice and encouragement from in regards to weights in person. It means a lot

^^^ will definitely be following your log I am no expert at all, very new to the whole weightlifting world... I have the boyfriend behind me so lucky to have him for support.. As regard to real girlfriends I have none either! They all just think I am weird because I weigh my food out and train like a 'man' in the gym.. Ha..

At least here we all understand and can support each other!!
    Dresses, H. W.

My Log :

Yesterday:

Upper Body

Warm Up

Bench 1x5 55lbs, 1x5 57.5lbs, 4x4 60lbs
    OHP 4x4 47.5lbs
    Chinup 4x4 -37lbs
    Pendley Row 4x4 57.5lbs
    Shoulder Rotations 2x12 7.5lbs/shoulder
    A little triceps work

I'm finally making a bit of progress on my bench and OHP! When I say a little, I mean a little, but I'll take whatever I can get. The gym is closed for the rest of the week, so I'll catch up on sleep (and work!) and hit the weights again heavy on Monday. Happy thanksgiving to everyone!

^^^ will definitely be following your log I am no expert at all, very new to the whole weightlifting world... I have the boyfriend behind me so lucky to have him for support.. As regard to real girlfriends I have none either! They all just think I am weird because I weigh my food out and train like a 'man' in the gym.. Ha..

At least here we all understand and can support each other!!
    I'll definitely keep an eye on your journal too! I think we're in about the same place in terms of weights and progress, so it'll be good to have someone to talk to. I get most of my meals from a dining hall so I can't actually measure my food, but I get weird looks already from what (lots of veggies, fruit, protein, less fried/pizza type foods) I eat, how much I eat (ie when I go back for thirds), and how consistent I am with my gym time. I can't imagine what my roommates would do if I broke out a food scale! I already half tried to explain to them that I was trying to gain weight, but it, well, didn't really work, especially because girls in general are often touchy and sensitive about how much they weigh.

Keep up the good work, and let's muscle up
    46kg snatch | 62kg c&j
    205lb bsqt | 171lb fsqt

What is bench.