Shane7518 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bicep Tendinitis?

Hey guys, I have a question about what Bicep Tendinitis feels like. I started weight lifting early March and of course my motto is 'Go hard or go home!'...so I was lifting as much as I could doing Bicep Curls and other upper body lifts, 3 sets of 10. Last week I started getting pains in my shoulder from Flyes, and Sunday a pain in my inner elbow (right elbow, inner left side...Dr. Google said Bicipital Aponerosis). I am taking this week off because I think I am Overtraining. I'm hoping to start lifting tomorrow again except with maybe only 1 or 2 sets and lighter weights. What do you guys think, did I screw up my elbow?
    I like this Over 35 forum, when I was younger I would just 'Go Hard' when starting something new, but I am being humbled as I age finding out my body can't take the abuse I throw at it anymore! lol

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I guess there's a difference between "go hard" and "go stupid." If you're slinging and jerking around a lot of weight near your limits then that is going to come with risk. Jerking movements and odd angles to get that initial oompf produce very large transient forces on the connective tissues and at some point you'll have an acute failure or chronic condition that results. Go lighter and slower and work around the pain. If it bugs you too much go to a doctor and have them look at it.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000) Iron_Machine is just really nice. (+1000)
    "but I am being humbled as I age finding out my body can't take the abuse I throw at it anymore! lol"

LOL, this is a sad realization in life. Actually I have had the same shoulder problem in the past. The main thing when starting out is to take time for the ligaments, tendons, supporting muscles to catch up to rapidly developing muscle strength that you get at the beginning weeks of working out. I blew my shoulder in that manner years ago, my bench was going up rapidly and the shoulder ligaments didn't catch up in time and then I was off for like 2-3months before it finally healed.

So again, lots of reps at lower weight, be patient. Also another note is to pay particular attention to the specific angle of attack of flys and bench. With bench if your elbows are at a 90 with respect to the torso, you can tweak your shoulder. I would really doubt overtraining at this point.

GL

IM

Shane7518 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Iron_Machine View Post
    "but I am being humbled as I age finding out my body can't take the abuse I throw at it anymore! lol"

LOL, this is a sad realization in life. Actually I have had the same shoulder problem in the past. The main thing when starting out is to take time for the ligaments, tendons, supporting muscles to catch up to rapidly developing muscle strength that you get at the beginning weeks of working out. I blew my shoulder in that manner years ago, my bench was going up rapidly and the shoulder ligaments didn't catch up in time and then I was off for like 2-3months before it finally healed.

So again, lots of reps at lower weight, be patient. Also another note is to pay particular attention to the specific angle of attack of flys and bench. With bench if your elbows are at a 90 with respect to the torso, you can tweak your shoulder. I would really doubt overtraining at this point.

GL

IM

Thanks IM, I think you hit the nail on the head. I did find my weight increasing rapidly to. I'll gladly take your advice!
    I just looked at your pics...did you really bulk up that much in a little under 2 months in 2009? Impressive! I hope I can make the same progress. I used to live in Edmonton as well, still miss it.
    Last edited by Shane7518; 04-24-2013 at 02:33 PM.

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you really have bicep tendonitis, its hard to get through. I had screwed my shoulder up good due to having calcium deposits and bone spurs that contributed to an instability condition. Bicep tendonitis was one of the problems and it took months of PT to get better. I had to take many steps backward.

Rome wasn't built in a day, best to start off slowly and gradually add the weight. Correct form is crucial to not getting hurt.

Rob
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....