Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) LinearChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Eating after workout

How long do you girls wait to eat after your workout? I've been hearing about the hour long window after a workout where your body is still burning...any truth to this?

luvtherush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it kinda depends on the type of workout you're doing, but regardless I think it's best to always have a whey protein shake within a half hour after your workout.

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think you will get a varied response on this one. I think there are different factors involved like supplementation, type of work out, ect. I have a protein shake with some carbs about 45 to 1 hour after my workout. However, immediately post workout (while still in the gym locker room) I take glutamine and amino acids or BCAAs with some water or juice. This way my muscles are getting nutrients immediately while their muscle receptors arel more open. From what I've read and researched this "window of opportunity" is anywhre from a few minutes to about an hour post workout.

Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a protein shake and a bowl of oatmeal about 30 mintues after because I have to wait until I get to work to eat/drink. When I train and then go how it's about 10 mintues after.
    WORKOUT
    M: Full body workout
    T: Off
    W: Full body workout
    T: Off
    F: Off
    S: Full body workout
    S: OFF

Walk dog 1 hour a day.

DIET
    Protein and good fats, low carb

Goal: Loose fat and gain muscle!

Just do it!
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!
    You are what you eat!

KickBoxGrrl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

eat..

I eat almost immediatley after I work out, pretty much as soon as I get in the car. I'm an hour from the gym so I have a sandwich - 1.5 or 2 tbls of natural pb on two high fiber whole grain bread slices.

And as an added bonus, if I'm having a tough time getting through the workout the PB gives me something to look forward to! :-) I would kill for natural pb.

dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I eat anywhere between 10 - 40 minutes after I workout.

The wording of your second question has me a little confused. I am assuming (and assuming usually gets me into trouble) that you mean burning fat for an hour after your workout. Are you are asking if one should wait an hour before eating to maximize fat being burned? Under that circumstance, muscle is being burned as well. For fat loss, that would not necessarily be a good thing...b/c more muscle = higher metabolism, more fat burned even while resting. However, I recall reading in the Body for Life program that you wait an hour after working out to maximize fat loss. I don't personally follow that approach, but that way has worked well for some people.

Regarding the hour long post-workout window of opportunity for muscle building.....
    as I understand it, the muscles are primed to absorb nutrients within an hour after training b/c the muscle glycogen has been depleted and the muscle is like a sponge ready to be refueled during this time. That's the time to take in simple carbs (along with a fast digesting protein such as whey) to induce an insulin spike which helps shuttle the nutrients into the muscles to replenish glycogen and start the recovery process ASAP. This is the time of day when simple sugars are least likely to be converted to and stored as fat. If your goal is to build muscle, and lose fat as a result of the increased metabolism b/c of that increase in lean mass, taking advantage of this post-workout feeding would make a good habit.

I hope any of this is helpful.

_Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Assuming you exercise intensely your anabolic window is typically 45 minutes. But from what I understand your metabolism can be in a hightened state for up to 1.5-2 hours tops after completing a workout.

kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50) kraZi.insaNe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    From what i've learned off this site. Your suppost to eat 45-60min BEFORE workout and about 5-10min AFTER workout.
    Im crazy with this razor with this razor Im crazy
    With this crazor Im razy, razor crazed Im crazy!

Wow Strong Arms --- The plague is spreading

Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kraZi.insaNe
    From what i've learned off this site. Your suppost to eat 45-60min BEFORE workout and about 5-10min AFTER workout.
    Pre-workout nutriotion should generally occur in a window of 2 hours - 45 minutes prior to your workout. This window depends on what you consume and other factors but should typically be a complex slow digesting carb source & lean protein.

Post-workout you typically want to consume carbs & protein within 45 minutes and eat your post workout meal 30 - 60 minutes after that. I usually suggest my girlfriend have a minimum of 20/20 of carbs & protein post workout. Some threads on these boards indicate more and some less. I personally advocate the use of fast digesting high GI carbs in the post workout window as the insulin boost should shuttle the nutrients to your muscle stores.
    Cutting - 6' 3" - 28 yrs
    Jan 10th - 219 lbs (end of winter dirty bulk)
    July 30th - 192lbs - Approx 9% bf

shana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what carbs do you have??

Perpetually Feeding... semiotik's Avatar
    semiotik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) semiotik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) semiotik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) semiotik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) semiotik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) semiotik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) semiotik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) semiotik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love the postworkout phase, because it's the only time I really let myself go to town and have some sweets. A protein shake, and a PBJ sandwhich make me ****ing drool

pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dominique
    I eat anywhere between 10 - 40 minutes after I workout.

The wording of your second question has me a little confused. I am assuming (and assuming usually gets me into trouble) that you mean burning fat for an hour after your workout. Are you are asking if one should wait an hour before eating to maximize fat being burned? Under that circumstance, muscle is being burned as well. For fat loss, that would not necessarily be a good thing...b/c more muscle = higher metabolism, more fat burned even while resting. However, I recall reading in the Body for Life program that you wait an hour after working out to maximize fat loss. I don't personally follow that approach, but that way has worked well for some people.

Regarding the hour long post-workout window of opportunity for muscle building.....
    as I understand it, the muscles are primed to absorb nutrients within an hour after training b/c the muscle glycogen has been depleted and the muscle is like a sponge ready to be refueled during this time. That's the time to take in simple carbs (along with a fast digesting protein such as whey) to induce an insulin spike which helps shuttle the nutrients into the muscles to replenish glycogen and start the recovery process ASAP. This is the time of day when simple sugars are least likely to be converted to and stored as fat. If your goal is to build muscle, and lose fat as a result of the increased metabolism b/c of that increase in lean mass, taking advantage of this post-workout feeding would make a good habit.

I hope any of this is helpful.
    why is it important to eat simple carbs after a workout?
    I too will be a hottie, man, i'm sweatin':) app.15% bf

aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For (almost all ) your postworkout and preworkout nutrition concerns, you can refer to this thread: Pre, during & PWO nutrition

As good as peanut butter is, fats postworkout is still a bad idea.

10-15mins postworkout I have a serving of oats, skim milk, and whey. 30-45mins after my postworkout meal I eat 1-2 servings of complex carbs (usually oats or some varieties like that), eggwhites/cottage cheese and fruit.
    I WILL be an 18 year old hottie.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpedupgurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    why is it a bad idea?
    I too will be a hottie, man, i'm sweatin':) app.15% bf

'05 Miss TN Middleweight lacyjayne's Avatar
    lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10) lacyjayne is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Two different answers...one for cardio workout and one for weights.

My goal during cardio is to target fat calories. I maintain a target heart rate to ensure I am burning 80 - 85% fat calories. While training this summer, I was lucky to be able to do my cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. I would not eat for 45 minutes to an hour after cardio. With my heart rate still elevated, my body continued to burn at the fat reserves.

As for post weight lifting, I eat immediately after. Your muscles are hungry at this point and if you are going to work hard to build them, you must take good care of them to keep them around! I make a shake consisting of 1 scoop of whey, 4 egg whites, 1 scoop of glutamine, 8 oz. 2% milk, 8 oz. water and a squirt of honey. Remember, this is the only time the female body has the ability to absorb more than 25-30 grams of protein at one time. You also need a simple sugar to revive your glycogen levels. Honey works great! I then eat a solid meal of chicken, steamed broccoli and a sweet potato or rice an hour and a half later.

aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Immediately after your workout you want to shuttle the nutrients into your body, and fats will just slow down the process and blunt insulin output.

For cardio workouts, I usually just have 1-2 servings of oats, 4 eggwhites and some fruit instead of whey and skim milk, which are only for weight training.

Open minded, child of God n8s_ltl_buff1's Avatar
    n8s_ltl_buff1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n8s_ltl_buff1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n8s_ltl_buff1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n8s_ltl_buff1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up peanut butter

Actually, having peanut butter after a workout is not a bad Idea, I do it every day, and continue to lose fat and gain muscle AND strength every day!!! The fats in peanut butter are good for you just as in peanuts, and actually lower your bad cholestorol the more often you eat them. Plus they both are a great protien source. Usually what I do, after an intensive workout, (I walk to and from the gym, so immidiatly when I get home) Is make up a protien shake with 8-12 oz milk, then toss in one T. of natural pb, a small banana, and a scoop of glutamine!!!! It is delicious and has proved to be the best post-workout meal I have tried yet.

GeneK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mommy*2*3
    II think there are different factors involved like supplementation, type of work out, ect. I have a protein shake with some carbs about 45 to 1 hour after my workout. However, immediately post workout (while still in the gym locker room) I take glutamine and amino acids or BCAAs with some water or juice.
    I've learned that I should take a protein shake as soon as I can (within 30 minutes preferrably) after lifting (please correct me if I'm wrong). What if I do 30-40 minute cardio after lifting, should I have the protein shake in between the 2 workouts or wait till the cardio is done? (by then it'd be at least 1 hour after lifting, too long maybe?)

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GeneK
    I've learned that I should take a protein shake as soon as I can (within 30 minutes preferrably) after lifting (please correct me if I'm wrong). What if I do 30-40 minute cardio after lifting, should I have the protein shake in between the 2 workouts or wait till the cardio is done? (by then it'd be at least 1 hour after lifting, too long maybe?)
    IF you want to burn fat with your cardio work then wait with the protein shake until you've finished. This is what I've been tought by my trainer...maybe someone can correct me on this.

IF you want to burn fat with your cardio work then wait with the protein shake until you've finished. This is what I've been tought by my trainer...maybe someone can correct me on this.
    Oh that makes sense, cardio on empty stomach to burn fat. and yes I want to burn fat so I'll have the protein shake after the cardio. Thanks much! Muscles can wait.

n8s_ltl_buff1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n8s_ltl_buff1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n8s_ltl_buff1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n8s_ltl_buff1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ... What if I do 30-40 minute cardio after lifting...
    Just recently, I read that if you are trying to burn more fat and/or calories, you should do the cardio first if you are going to do both.. (I was doing it opposite as well)... your strength may suffer a bit, but I notices that you stated that muscles can wait.
    I've been doing this for about two weeks now, and have lost 5 lbs, so I guess it works.

Originally Posted by n8s_ltl_buff1
    Just recently, I read that if you are trying to burn more fat and/or calories, you should do the cardio first if you are going to do both.. (I was doing it opposite as well)... your strength may suffer a bit, but I notices that you stated that muscles can wait.
    I've been doing this for about two weeks now, and have lost 5 lbs, so I guess it works.
    No, No , No...first off you should never lift on an empty stomach...that is catabolic. Secondly you need all the strength you can get for lifting...you should never compromise your lifting strength. Whatever glycogen stores are left after you've lifted can be used for cardio to burn fat.
    Ideally cardio should be done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and you can lift during a different workout alltogether after you've eaten. However, many of us don't have that kind of lifestyle to allow for two seperate workouts. Can you tell me where you read that? I'm curious. That goes against everything that I have learned.

No, No , No...first off you should never lift on an empty stomach...that is catabolic.
    I know I shouldn't lift on empty stomach but I should do cardio on empty stomach, so if I must do cardio immediately after lifting, what should I eat before lifting and how much to still get the max fat burn on cardio? (I know pre-workout meal is a classic question but I still dont know what to do as I'm trying to get an empty stomach for the cardio right after lifting)

I know I shouldn't lift on empty stomach but I should do cardio on empty stomach, so if I must do cardio immediately after lifting, what should I eat before lifting and how much to still get the max fat burn on cardio? (I know pre-workout meal is a classic question but I still dont know what to do as I'm trying to get an empty stomach for the cardio right after lifting)
    You should have a meal with some fruit( maybe 1/2 orange), low GI Carbs like oatmeal and protein like egg whites or whey about 1.5 to 2 hrs before you workout. This time is needed so the food can start digesting and hitting your blood stream. The low GI carbs will give you a steady stream of energy since oatmeal digests slowly. By the time you are done lifting (assuming that you are lifting heavy) you should have used up the majority of your preworkout meal. Then it's time to hit the treadmil for some cardio. You're not exactly doing cardio on an empty stomach but the meal you've eaten should be nearly used up. This is my philosophy why you would want to do cardio post weight training.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bump Mommy.

Weights first, then cardio.

MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You should have a meal with some fruit( maybe 1/2 orange), low GI Carbs like oatmeal and protein like egg whites or whey about 1.5 to 2 hrs before you workout. This time is needed so the food can start digesting and hitting your blood stream. The low GI carbs will give you a steady stream of energy since oatmeal digests slowly. By the time you are done lifting (assuming that you are lifting heavy) you should have used up the majority of your preworkout meal. Then it's time to hit the treadmil for some cardio. You're not exactly doing cardio on an empty stomach but the meal you've eaten should be nearly used up. This is my philosophy why you would want to do cardio post weight training.

So then would you lean toward a post cardio meal or a post weight training meal when you get home? I'm always confused by this because I was taught to always do weights first. But after that I do my cardio and THEN head home (5 minute drive)... not sure which state my body is in at this point and what it needs. Protein and simple carbs? I usually make a whey shake w/skim and eat a piece of fruit.

Originally Posted by MsDominatus
    So then would you lean toward a post cardio meal or a post weight training meal when you get home? I'm always confused by this because I was taught to always do weights first. But after that I do my cardio and THEN head home (5 minute drive)... not sure which state my body is in at this point and what it needs. Protein and simple carbs? I usually make a whey shake w/skim and eat a piece of fruit.
    Yes, that's right. After your training you want to have easily digesting protein and simple carbs.

onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I eat pretty quickly after working out since I'm hypo, esp if I've done cardio.

Can you tell me where you read that? I'm curious. That goes against everything that I have learned.
    It was in the latest issue of shape... I know, if you're trying to build muscle it is wrong, but she had stated that she was trying to burn fat and calories... which in this particular article, somone had asked which way was better, the writer said that it depends on your goals..... If you are trying to gain strength and size, lift first, if you are trying to loose a few pounds and get tone, cardio first.. then high rep lifting to failure each set.
    It may not work for everyone, and I thought it was way wierd too, since I always thought you should lift first, but I have noticed many changes in my appearence since trying this..

Also, I dont understand why everyone is saying to do cardio on an empty stomach... Screw that!!! If I tried to do ANY form of workout on an empty stomach I would pass out, (believe me, it has happened before.) I just eat at all my regular times.... sometimes my post-workout shake gets consumed slightly before my 3-hr mark, but besides that all my times are regular.

Originally Posted by n8s_ltl_buff1
    Actually, having peanut butter after a workout is not a bad Idea, I do it every day, and continue to lose fat and gain muscle AND strength every day!!! The fats in peanut butter are good for you just as in peanuts, and actually lower your bad cholestorol the more often you eat them. Plus they both are a great protien source. Usually what I do, after an intensive workout, (I walk to and from the gym, so immidiatly when I get home) Is make up a protien shake with 8-12 oz milk, then toss in one T. of natural pb, a small banana, and a scoop of glutamine!!!! It is delicious and has proved to be the best post-workout meal I have tried yet.

Although peanut butter does contain healthy fats, and they are a good source of clean calories, nutrition is also about nutrient TIMING than nutrient quality. If you have tried both ways by using a good carb source ( either oats, skim dairy, or dextrose ) with whey but still found out that peanut butter works best for you then that is great...but general consensus has always been carbs and protein with minimal fats because of condition your body is in after a workout. MOST people do see their best results from the common practice of carbs + protein.

It was in the latest issue of shape... I know, if you're trying to build muscle it is wrong, but she had stated that she was trying to burn fat and calories... which in this particular article, somone had asked which way was better, the writer said that it depends on your goals..... If you are trying to gain strength and size, lift first, if you are trying to loose a few pounds and get tone, cardio first.. then high rep lifting to failure each set.
    It may not work for everyone, and I thought it was way wierd too, since I always thought you should lift first, but I have noticed many changes in my appearence since trying this..
    Well, after cardio your glycogen storage is already low, so if you start pumping out the weights you're obviously going to lose more weight, as that weight loss will compose largely of muscle mass as well. It is a matter of where you want that weight loss to come from. Losing muscle mass is a lot easier to accomplish than losing fat mass.

If you are really trying to achieve that "tone" look aka significant muscle mass and low bodyfat for the muscle defination then eating away your muscle is not a very productive idea.