Armitron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Maintaining Tight Grip on Deadlifts

when i do heavy deadlifts i have a big problem that severely restricts my back workout.........when i put a weight and pop out some reps and then stop, its not because i cant do anymore reps i.e. my muscle working isnt tired (lower back)........i stop because im losing my grip

when i lower the bar to bring it up for another rep, my grip loosens a lot due to heavy weight and plus the bar seems to be "digging" into my fingers cutting out skin and giving blisters

my question is, how do i strengthen my grip/ keep it tighter on the down part of the deadlift? is there any things/items u ppl use to keep grip tight during exercises such as deadlift?

thanks

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    chalk+work static(support) grip
    <->

eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I recently bought a bar that i use for deadlifting, its made by hampton , and the knurl on the bar is great, it doesnt even hurt my hands like other bars have in the past, maybe try another bar ? and make sure you always use chalk, its the x-factor do some grip training as well, just like the maestro above me stated

Armitron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how do i build my grip?

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you using an alternating grip?
    I don't know either lol

Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Lifting gloves + alternating grip allowed me to go much heavier on my deadlifts. Occasionally I will use lifting straps because I can go even heavier.
    Cutting - 6' 3" - 28 yrs
    Jan 10th - 219 lbs (end of winter dirty bulk)
    July 30th - 192lbs - Approx 9% bf

I have misplaced my pants wiggles's Avatar
    wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use gloves sometimes so I don't tear my hands to shreds, but not straps. I figure, my deads will get higher when my grip strength increases.

Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Farmers walks, the ultimate grip builder.
    Less food means less weight. More weight on bar means get stronger. Guy farts while squatting means great laughter. -Dan John-

Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Armitron
    when i do heavy deadlifts i have a big problem that severely restricts my back workout.........when i put a weight and pop out some reps and then stop, its not because i cant do anymore reps i.e. my muscle working isnt tired (lower back)........i stop because im losing my grip

when i lower the bar to bring it up for another rep, my grip loosens a lot due to heavy weight and plus the bar seems to be "digging" into my fingers cutting out skin and giving blisters

my question is, how do i strengthen my grip/ keep it tighter on the down part of the deadlift? is there any things/items u ppl use to keep grip tight during exercises such as deadlift?

thanks

Listen to the others on here but what ever you do don't get straps. You will be suprised how fast your grip strengthens in a short period of time if you just do your best. Mind over matter.
    Regards,
    Ceolin

Big Brother is watching you.

"The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes."

Benjamin Disraeli, first Prime Minister of England, in a novel he published in 1844 called Coningsby, the New Generation

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wiggles
    I use gloves sometimes so I don't tear my hands to shreds, but not straps. I figure, my deads will get higher when my grip strength increases.

this is exactly what he's trying NOT to do. He needs to increase grip strength. Using gloves will make your grip weaker, and I can personally attest to that. If you're going to use gloves a lot, be sure to compensate with extra grip work (i.e., more grip work than most would do).

Farmer walks is a good way to "feel" what it's like to hold some heavy poundage, and it strengthens your grip too...great exercise in terms of deadlifting.

And yea, getting one of this grippers is good too. I have one of those gripmasters which are cool cuz you can target individual fingers with it.
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Chi3f

training crush grip does dick all for static grip.
    <->

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    training crush grip does dick all for static grip.
    sometimes it can actually weaken your static grip.

Originally Posted by SDFlipStyle
    i'd buy that
    <->

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SDFlipStyle
    let me take that back....

some people will think training your crush grip will replace the need for training your support grip. that's why your static grip will weaken. you need to do both.

i think of crushing grip as a one rep max and static strength as endurance training.

each type of grip (static/support, pinch, crush) requires different training and they have very little if any carryover to other types of grip.

Izan747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    for me sometime i also hang from a pull up bar and squeeze my forearms till i cant hold on any longer i do 3 sets of this but i prefer the static holds more

Originally Posted by Izan747
    for me sometime i also hang from a pull up bar and squeeze my forearms till i cant hold on any longer i do 3 sets of this
    that's a great exercise!

add some weight to you and see how it feels... or do them one handed!