whitedime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whitedime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whitedime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

serratus anterior stretches?

tore my a/c joint in february. lost some strength/size in that trap/shoulder area. i have slight winging of my shoulder blades...

I currently do the following every day:
    broomstick overhead dislocations
    "wall slides"
    door way stretches.

anything else I can do ? is this also the tightness I feel when i try a move like a dumbbell pullover ? I can not get a full range of motion on those at all. thanks guys.
    I'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would think you need strengthening of the serratus rather than stretching of it!

whitedime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whitedime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whitedime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im working on that as well. I'll see how that goes, thank you for the reply.

groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    also strengthening and tightening of subscapularis.

as for serratus stretch: lay on your side put you hand on your obliques,as far toward your spine as possible. and have someone press down on your elbow.

please be careful! dont move into pain and go slowly..this is a move that should be done by a professional so be careful! if you feel pain especially in the shoulder STOP.

jason

thanks jason. what would you suggest for strengthening that area and remedying this "winging" condition I seem to have I would like to be able to do dumbbell pullovers at some point.

groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10) groovyslick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    challenge all your friends to an arm wrestle..haha..

no really tho subscapularis is responsible for medial rotation of the humerus. so the arm wrestle motion is the one... maybe go work on your car..haha

hope that helps

jason

I would also do alot of upper back work.. for rhomboids, traps and such.

AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Winging of the scapula can be controlled by strengthening the serratus anterior, hence my previous comment.

www.exrx.net

agreed.. I was just adding so as to make sure he knew to work the other muscles that can affect it.

jason

Thumbs up

thank you autumn, thats an excellent website. it's been determined that one of my shoulders is lower then the other as well, and its causing me intense neck/trap pain every day. any ideas for fixing my shoulder(s) ?

I am going to try sleeping on my back to remedy the slumped shoulder condition as well as the ser. anterior strengthening and stretching for the chest.

oh i also got a posture brace that i wear occasionally which helps pull my shoulders back.

Originally Posted by whitedime View Post
    thank you autumn, thats an excellent website. it's been determined that one of my shoulders is lower then the other as well, and its causing me intense neck/trap pain every day. any ideas for fixing my shoulder(s) ?

I am going to try sleeping on my back to remedy the slumped shoulder condition as well as the ser. anterior strengthening and stretching for the chest.
    Which shoulder is higher?

The injured one??

Was it like that before the injury?

I don't beleive it was higher before the injury no. and yes, its the injured one. I beleive the other one, being lower is pulling on my neck/trap muscles and causing the pain.

ya.. imbalances are quite common....one would hope that a good massage therapist would recognize this and fix it!.. unless it is a bone/joint issue, then the chiro can fix it.

you need to stretch those pecs!!!!

jason

I have to remember that physiotherapists (or physical therapists as you call them) are much more limited in their range of treatments and status over there in the states!

Ive been seeing a chiro for a while but, i believe it was the muscle imbalance which was causing the spine to be out of alignment, so it wasn't really helping...
    I am doing the pec stretching 3-4 times a day, is there anything else I can do ?

go get a damn massage!

I think I am just gonna make that part of my signature

jason

ricky1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AutumnalPark View Post
    I have to remember that physiotherapists (or physical therapists as you call them) are much more limited in their range of treatments and status over there in the states!
    Is that true?

Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric [Tsu] has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have injured my serratus anterior too... what exercises have you had the best luck with? And which lifts/exercises should I stay away from because of my injury?

I dont know about massage therapists and pysical therapists requirements outside the states

push-ups work the serratus.
    If you have muscular pain...not joint or organs or bones. GO GET A MASSAGE!!!
    Check out this thread for more info.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5421563

Or if you are in the dfw area contact me and I will fix it!

Originally Posted by ricky1234 View Post
    Is that true?
    Very true!!

Physiotherapists in Australia have a similar standing to, I guess, chiropractors in the states, in that they don't need a referral; treat spinal and joint; are well respected; don't have to work under a doctor's direction.

most of the doctors ive been to work independantly. autumn i was wondering if you could tell me wnat excercises to incorporate into my chest and back days to focus in on that area, maybe you know of a usual exercise i could modify to benefit my condition ? I noticed when i pull the E brake in my car too hard when parking i get a soreness for a while in that area, so maybe something to replicate that movement ? i was thinking some sort of standing cable pull...

also, i think i have some sort of tendon problem in my elbow and i dont know what to do about it, i never really trained forearms so i think i was lifing more weight then my left arm could handle...

What action is reuired to pull on the E brake (handbrake?) ?? Is it a twisting motion of the trunk??

If so, that might indicate where the pain is coming from.

well its a pulling up then in, in an arc.

And where is the soreness from doing this?

megso3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

been there

Firstly dont do weights untill your fully recovered. I made the mistake of that now my muscle imbalances are huge and almost irreversible. Strengthen your serratus anterior that is a must! If one shoulder is higher your lev-scap, upper traps and scalenes have been compensating. Make sure you get these massaged and start doing work to strengthen your lower trapezius. As for dumbell pullovers i'd forget them, they already put huge stress on the shoulder joint and for someone like you with shoulder trouble i'd forget them, do chin ups or lat pull downs instead, they work the same muscle groups

good luck buddy cheers

i do some wide grip rows and overhead shrugs, that seemed to have hit the lower traps really well. I'll avoid the pullovers if you guys think they will further aggrivate my problem.