SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Your thoughts on weighted cardio and the back/spine?

I started a thread a bit ago about the fact that i started up doing weighted cardio. I really enjoy it actually...nothing like strappin some weight and walkin in the sun with some tunes.

So i started off with 45 lbs and ran 2 miles...then i dropped it to 40 lbs and walked 4 miles about 4 days later. yesterday i upped it to 55 lb in a backpack and walked 3 (i also do weighted dips while doing this).

So my question is...ive been telling people that i do this, and literally EVERYONE says...oh i dont think you should be doing that...it's bad for your back, ur gonna hurt ur back...it's bad for ur knees, etc. they also suggest i see a doctor and see what the doc thinks! obviously any doctor will say no to this.

i think to myself, it's also bad on ur knees and back to be morbidly obese and have to walk, which tend to be the people telling me not to do weighted cardio. i explain saying, it's not like i jumped right into this. ive been lifting on and off since i was like 15...and ive been lifting steadily 3x a week since may, strengthening my back and legs thru deadlifts, bent over rows, squats, sprints, other compounds, etc...if i didnt think my back could handle it i would lower the weight or not do it. i experience a bit of pain while doing the walks, but afterward i dont feel any pain, no more than if i did a heavy set of deads or squats.

i can see how putting weight in a backpack would be bad for someone who has a weak back, but i keep my spine straight and back naturally arched the entire time (often over an hr at a time)...ive been getting great results already...i dont have the money to put into buying a weighted vest which could distribute the weight a bit more evenly...so this is my best option. also the fact that im fairly light (140 lbs give or take), makes people think i cant handle it, as 55 is getting close to half my bodyweight...but they dont expect that i can BOR 170 lbs with good form or do half the things i do in the gym. i plan on goin up to 60 lbs next time i do this...

what can i say to these people...is it really that detrimental to ur back if youve been training and strengthening it to handle workloads like this? i mean the guys in the military hike with 40 lbs for a lot more miles than i do, and theyre in the best shape of their lives...nobody writes letters to the marines telling them that their training is going to hurt the soldier's spines, so why must i put up with people's shenanigans lol

someone give me some peace of mind here!
    Snake's New Diabetic Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130722163
    Snakes BB Quest!Begun 8/24/06 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=882015

PR's@ BW 135 lb:
    Fl Bnch:175x5x3 sets;180x3*ATG Sqts:185x5x3 sets*DL:275x1;250x4x2 sets*Dips:+100 lbX6;+55 lbX20*Pllups/Chns:+25 lbX5 for 4 sets*BB Bt Ovr Rws:170x5*Wghtd Cardio:2 mi. jog w/ 45 lb bkpk*3 mi. walk w/ 55 lb bkpk

**RapeBacks 3k+**

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lightbulb

To me it seems that it could potentially cause a problem over the long term. Personally I would look into sled dragging if I were you.

Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Canadian Iron View Post
    To me it seems that it could potentially cause a problem over the long term. Personally I would look into sled dragging if I were you.
    Ask anyone who's been in the milltiary. Those heavy ass packs(100+) will **** you up over the long term.

Don't too much of it and that sled thing is a good idea. Or just drag a tire.

Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why? Are you training for sports or just doing it for physique purposes? If you are at 135 lbs hitting the weights in the gym should be the #1 priority.
    Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

-Thomas Edison

SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it really helps me shed fat for one...im trying to maintain until mid august after my beach trips are over before going on a bulk. aside from that, i just really like the challenge it gives to me and how it completely wears me out, not to mention i think it's really benefitting my legs and traps.

can anyone provide me more info on sled dragging. where can i purchase the equipment needed to do this and are there special places u go to do it, or just wherever you want?
    Snake's New Diabetic Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130722163
    Snakes BB Quest!Begun 8/24/06 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=882015

PR's@ BW 135 lb:
    Fl Bnch:175x5x3 sets;180x3*ATG Sqts:185x5x3 sets*DL:275x1;250x4x2 sets*Dips:+100 lbX6;+55 lbX20*Pllups/Chns:+25 lbX5 for 4 sets*BB Bt Ovr Rws:170x5*Wghtd Cardio:2 mi. jog w/ 45 lb bkpk*3 mi. walk w/ 55 lb bkpk

**RapeBacks 3k+**

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
    it really helps me shed fat for one...im trying to maintain until mid august after my beach trips are over before going on a bulk. aside from that, i just really like the challenge it gives to me and how it completely wears me out, not to mention i think it's really benefitting my legs and traps.

can anyone provide me more info on sled dragging. where can i purchase the equipment needed to do this and are there special places u go to do it, or just wherever you want?
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4199
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4202

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=116

phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started a thread a bit ago about the fact that i started up doing weighted cardio. I really enjoy it actually...nothing like strappin some weight and walkin in the sun with some tunes.

So i started off with 45 lbs and ran 2 miles...then i dropped it to 40 lbs and walked 4 miles about 4 days later. yesterday i upped it to 55 lb in a backpack and walked 3 (i also do weighted dips while doing this).

So my question is...ive been telling people that i do this, and literally EVERYONE says...oh i dont think you should be doing that...it's bad for your back, ur gonna hurt ur back...it's bad for ur knees, etc. they also suggest i see a doctor and see what the doc thinks! obviously any doctor will say no to this.

i think to myself, it's also bad on ur knees and back to be morbidly obese and have to walk, which tend to be the people telling me not to do weighted cardio. i explain saying, it's not like i jumped right into this. ive been lifting on and off since i was like 15...and ive been lifting steadily 3x a week since may, strengthening my back and legs thru deadlifts, bent over rows, squats, sprints, other compounds, etc...if i didnt think my back could handle it i would lower the weight or not do it. i experience a bit of pain while doing the walks, but afterward i dont feel any pain, no more than if i did a heavy set of deads or squats.
    I must have 40 or 50lbs "strapped" to my abdomen alone, I've been that way for 8 years and that's supposed to be way more stress on the back than a backpack. I do not have back problems, nor do I have really strong back muscles(trying to fix that though). So you should be fine back wise. If you bulked up by 50lbs and went running, you'd be putting the extra stress on your joints anyways.

If your still paranoid, stick to weighted walking rather than running.

homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i think to myself, it's also bad on ur knees and back to be morbidly obese and have to walk, which tend to be the people telling me not to do weighted cardio.
    !
    It's bad for your back imo. you dont need to do it to avoid obesity. If you wanted be healthy all you have to do is eat clean do a bit of walking a few bodyweight exercise,etc. that's why the morbid anology is bad imo.

just do the normal routine and do skipping on a trampoline for low impact cardio IMO

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Basically people are paranoid about anything. Additional spinal loading does involve some added risk but so long as you're fit, work into it gradually, and keep an eye out for pain/injury/recovery there's no trouble.

Think about all the military guys carrying huge backpacks. I've ran up and down a field piggybacking my little brother, so honestly what's the difference? If anything a backpack's safer than a person.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    running by nature in itself is bad for your knee's.

I know quite a few older higher ranking Marines that have all sorts of aches and pains because of all the running we do.

You can only run and carry so much gear around for so long before your body breaks down.

Its not a question of how long you will last years down the road. Its building up a warrior who will have the ability to get himself/his gear into combat as quick as possible and still have the energy/endurance to carry out his orders.

I've been in for 3 years and my shins are in horrible shape. Running in boots REALLY destroys your shins when you got shin splints. I need to take dosages of ibruprofen of about 1G so I can sucessfully keep up with the rest of my platoon when we go on 6-7+ mile long runs in boots.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maqman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    U want resistance, go uphill/incline.

homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10) homershw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You won't notice it when you are young but probably will when you are older.

phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN View Post
    running by nature in itself is bad for your knee's.

I know quite a few older higher ranking Marines that have all sorts of aches and pains because of all the running we do.

You can only run and carry so much gear around for so long before your body breaks down.

Its not a question of how long you will last years down the road. Its building up a warrior who will have the ability to get himself/his gear into combat as quick as possible and still have the energy/endurance to carry out his orders.

I've been in for 3 years and my shins are in horrible shape. Running in boots REALLY destroys your shins when you got shin splints. I need to take dosages of ibruprofen of about 1G so I can sucessfully keep up with the rest of my platoon when we go on 6-7+ mile long runs in boots.
    Wow that sounds brutal. It's too bad they don't allow you guys to spend some of that running time unweighted with proper running shoes.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by phat_endo View Post
    Wow that sounds brutal. It's too bad they don't allow you guys to spend some of that running time unweighted with proper running shoes.
    we do that too. those are just longer runs.

when we run in boots its TYPICALLY because we are gonna do combat conditioning drills and runs through the woods or the mud and all-terrain courses.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    dont need weight to make cardio harder, find some hills and big steps e.t.c
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511