kauzLaric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A REAL bowflex vs freeweights question (yes I searched beforehand)

I read through quite a few pages of Bowflex vs Freeweights. I know for a fact that Freeweights are better for getting BIG. I don't want to get "BIG". I am currently very overweight. *Look at my bodyspace* - I want to lose about 80-100 pounds of FAT and then just get defined. The physique I want is that of Mark Wahlberg. (See attatched photo)

I am going to college for criminal justice and want to get onto a SWAT Team, so I'll need to be in good shape, but I dont want to be BIG. Just defined. I'd want to be a little smaller in the arms than him I think, but that picture is pretty close.

Would a Bowflex get me to that point? The reason I am trying to find an alternative to free weights is that I have no lifting partner, and no local gyms. (live in a small northern WI town)

So I need something that fits in my bedroom.

As I said, I do know freeweights are better, but, can I achieve that physique with a Bowflex?

I just think it'd be alot easier working out on the Bowflex, easier to adjust weight instead of having to remove/add weight each session, kind of a pain. My Dad has a few dumbbell/barbells and he has to use a rubber mallet to tighten em? Seems like a PITA and I think it'd discourage me fast.

Well, if you guys say that I can't achieve that physique with a bowflex, then I'll try to find some decent free weights, but if you think I can, I might go with a Bowflex. But again, I am asking for your opinions, not flames.

I also understand the ONLY way to achieve that physique is a strict diet and workout.

-David
    Attached Images

C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No machine routine or freeweight routine alone will get you defined. What and how you eat is far more important. A person can get get ripped without working out at all, but of course they wouldn't have much to show for it. It sounds like you probably already understand that concept though.

That being said, I'd still skip the Bowflex. The one argument you made (and that many make) that I disagree with is that you should avoid freeweights since you don't have a lifting partner. There are several ways around that, but considering you want something that takes up minimal space my suggestion is to get a bench and use dumbbells. It takes minimal time to change the weight between exercises, and even less time if you get a set of Powerblock dumbbells.

One question for you - don't you have a fitness center or weight room at school?
    Last edited by C Man; 05-27-2007 at 11:32 PM.

need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its a massive undertaking for anyone to actually get "big" lifting weights and even then, the odds are against the average man.

You want to weight train, you want to gain muscle, the more muscle you gain, the more calories aka energy your body consumes, this is a good thing. Workout with a bias towards gaining muscle and losing weight.

Im with CMan, I like free weights. Hell for a couple hundred at the very most, you can get a flat bench and plenty of dumbbell/weight.
    Last edited by need2eat; 05-27-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: I edited for a reason.

Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Listen to what C Man said about the dumbbells, and I also have some recent experience with kettlebells, and can now see how doing drills with them would be good for weight loss. You need to stay "fitness oriented" in your methods, not necessarily "bodybuilding". Also, learn about bodyweight exercises, freestanding squats, pushups, jumping jacks, lunges etc, and see if you can get a program together. You can also possibly look into sandbag training, which is another way of training thats fitness oriented. Combine that with proper dieting, and you'll be well on your way. I have a feeling you'll be successful too, because you have a definite goal, and enough of a reasonable amount of time to get there. Good Luck
    Don't complicate things by making things complicated.....

PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10) PopeyeFAFL is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Maybe a WB-LS

Originally Posted by kauzLaric View Post
    Would a Bowflex get me to that point? The reason I am trying to find an alternative to free weights is that I have no lifting partner, and no local gyms. (live in a small northern WI town)

As I said, I do know freeweights are better, but, can I achieve that physique with a Bowflex? -David
    If you want an home-gym for safety/convenience reasons, perhaps a Powertec WB-LS + some dumbbells. The WB-LS is perhaps small enough for your room (maybe the Bowflex has a smaller footprint, I don't know).

Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ......just thought of something else. Do you have any martial arts schools, or Boxing gyms nearby?. Getting involved in either would give you a jumpstart, and the fighting skills you'll pick up will also come in handy down the road. I would definitely go in that direction.

themayor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have had a bowflex ultimate2 and sold it for a powerrack and am 100% happy with the powerrack over the bowflex i don't think you can't get the same workout with the bowflex that you can with freeweights

I appreciate the responses. I am totally aware that getting ripped is via eating, I am just talking about the weights atm. I am gonna stick with free weights. Dumbbells are the smaller bars? (Sorry, new to all of this), my Dad gave me a bench, a 1000 pounds of weight, and some short and long bars. Only two short bars (the ones that are only a few inches longer than your hand?) Sorry, I don't know the terminology.

No boxing gyms nearby, I think we have a martial arts studio, but I think its TKD or Kung Fu (useless IMO). I wish we had an MMA studio nearby!

Thanks for the responses!

Killer Boots, Man! mistermuscles's Avatar
    mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000) mistermuscles is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The short ones are dumbells, the long ones are barbells.
    Kerry Adkisson (1960-1993)
    Steve Irwin (1962-2006)
    Owen Hart (1965-1999)
    Eddie Guerrero (1967-2005)

You are missed!!!

LOL! Thanks. Without someone to spot me I don't know what to do to replace bench presses. What exercises use the barbells, and what ones use the dumbbells?

TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't mean to sound like an ass, but you do know that the mainpage of BB.com has a nice area dedicated to exercises? Search by what body part you want to work out and follow the pictures. Each exercise has pictures and you can search by barbell, dumbbells, etc. Or you can go out to a Barnes and Noble and look at the hundreds of books they have on weight lifting. Might do better than asking people which exercises are good. Different exercises work for different people. You seem like a real begineer at this, asking some people here who are experienced lifters might be get you the best results.

skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000)
    go for the free weights, they are better for "real life" movements which involve your stabilzers, bowflex will just make your muscles stronger without making your stabilzers, free weights do both

you are going to be a SWAT member so lifting for practical real life situations is your top priority, you are never going to be moving on a predetermined confined track in one plane, your are going to be twisting and turning in multiple planes, GET THE FREE WEIGHTS

Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newbydubie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whatever you do, once you start losing the weight, stay away from these 2 chicks They'll just be a bad influence on you. J/K good luck

skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Kauzlaric,

You won't find what you're looking for on this forum, everyone is fairly bias towards the Bowflex. Since this is a bodybuilding forum I guess it makes sense. I, for one, am a big fan of Bowflex, but I do not own one..... I went with the Powertec WB-MS instead and a bench with selecttech dumbbells. You can do tons of exercises with dumbbells that are 100% safe and require no spotter. For the big exercises, like Squats, Bench Presses, Shoulder Presses, etc. the WB-MS is perfect for me.

But to answer your question, yes, the bowflex is perfect for getting cut. It's also great for building mass, despite what people say here. You can build tons of mass with the Bowflex. Would you ever be able to become a bodybuilder with just a bowflex? Doubtful.... but you'd be able to look like Mark Walhberg and probably even a bit better than him.

What I should point out to you though is that, in that picture, his body fat is probably around 7-8% or so. Anyone can get "cut" to look good for a pose. But I highly doubt that Mark Wahlberg is that defined all the time. I bet he stays around 11-12% body fat most of the time and when he gets a role where he needs to go shirtless he just works out hard for a few weeks and gets back down to 7-8%. In other words, maintaining a body like that is very difficult and unless you're an ectomorph you won't be able to really do it. It's so much easier if you gain muscle because you burn more fat and can eat more. Being 230lbs and 10-12% body fat in my opinion is far more healthy AND fun than being 170lbs and 7% body fat. I know where you're coming from though, I'm a big guy too and it seems like all the fat people want to be skinny mofos, and all the skinny mofos want to be buff..... and all the buff mofos want to be even buffer (and are really never satisfied with their physique). I start to wonder if there is anyone in the world who is truly satisfied with their body anymore?

skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10) skuZZitude is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Geez, on a side note, I just looked at your profile and I thought I was looking at mine or something. You look a lot like me dude, like even I noticed it and I showed my girlfriend and she is like "That's you"..... it's sort of uncanny... or scary.

I'm 302lbs on the scale right now too after gaining a lot of weight back which I am now starting a routine to get rid of (was down to 250lbs). However I'm 6'4" which makes a bit of a difference but we look very similiar, same type of complex.

Even your kitchen looks identical to mine, no kidding. Dude, are you me? When you get your bowflex and I get my weights we should start a competition thread to motivate each other and sort of a "Bowflex vs Powertec" type of thing. I have about 80lbs to lose (my goal is 220lbs / 12% body fat)..... See who can get down the lowest/fastest haha, post weekly pictures and stuff. I'm competitive so it would motivate me and it would be something to laugh about when it was all said and done.
    Last edited by skuZZitude; 05-28-2007 at 07:58 AM.

mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50)

"safe" exercises

There are many safe exercises you can do without a spotter. Some ideas on how to achieve these:

1. You shouldn't be lifting very heavy in the first place. For fat loss you should be in the higher rep ranges (12 +/-). Heavy low rep workouts are for more advanced/experienced persons trying to gain strength which is not your goal.

2. Instead of doing exercises like barbell bench press where the bar could (potentially) "crush" you (see #1) try movements such as dumbell bench press or dumbell incline bench press which I would consider safer if alone. Other examples: instead of squatting with a bar, if you dont have the proper equipment you could use dumbells or substitute lunges (not ideal but a safer alternative).

3. Certain types of equipment will have built in safety measures. Example: if you were to purchase a power rack you could use it to bench, squat, military press, etc. because it has safety bars that would prevent the bar from going to low (crushing you). Some benches have several safety hooks to catch the bar if you cannot raise it enough.

4. I don't think the bowflex would be that terrible of an idea. Certainly if there was an instance where I'd recommend it to someone it would be yours: far away from a fitness center, new to lifting, weight loss.

If the bowflex or some home gym would motivate you to lift I would get it. Its more important that you continue to workout and enjoy doing so than what specific equipment you are using.

Have you looked into any cardio equipment? Maybe an elliptical, rather than a treadmill as they are low-impact and less likely to cause injury for someone at 300lbs.

ALSO, GOOD LUCK! DONT GIVE UP!

jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You probably don't know it, but "I don't want to get too big" is one of the dumbest, most insulting things a new lifter can say, because it implies that the guys who have gotten huge somehow easily or accidentally got that way; that the years and years of intense effort and complete dedication (and in many cases, use of mildly dangerous drugs) didn't really happen.

You are 'big' because you have a lot of body fat. Adding muscle mass will greatly improve the shape of your body AND greatly increase your ability to burn calories (taking off and keeping off that fat.) So rather than worry about getting 'too big', make it your mission in life to gain as much muscle as possible (while cutting fat.) If you honestly wake up one day and think to yourself 'hmm, maybe I'm getting as big as I want to get', that's the day you start doing maintenance lifting instead of pushing your limits all the time.

You say you want to do SWAT. That means you're going to need strong legs and a strong back/core. I can think of nothing that will serve those needs as effectively as squatting and deadlifting; two things you can do very well with an olympic barbell set and a power rack, but which you can't do very well (or at all) with a bowflex or other all-in-one gym. A bowflex is fine for 'getting toned' (and can build significant muscle if you use it right), but given your goals, strength training with a power rack will be much more effective.

A bit of advice on lifting style: Heavy weights with low reps (strength training) won't add size as much as higher reps with lower weights (typical bodybuilding), but will add more strength. So, if you're honestly afraid of getting bulky muscles, heavy lifting is your friend, not your enemy.

I don't think he meant it like that. What I gather he means is that he wants to be lean and muscular, like Mark Walhberg or Brad Pitt. What's wrong with that? Why do you have to take everything as an insult? It sounds like you're the one who has a problem not him. Why do you find it so hard to believe that not everyone wants to be a body builder? Just because some people work their heart off every day to achieve something doesn't mean other people want it. If I could just snap my fingers and INSTANTLY have a body like Jay Cutler or Ronnie I wouldn't do it, because I never want to be that huge. You can call me crazy but it's true. Sorry you find it disrespectful that people have different goals than your own, I feel bad if that's the case. Did you even read the posters original post?

Originally Posted by jude-o View Post
    You probably don't know it, but "I don't want to get too big" is one of the dumbest, most insulting things a new lifter can say, because it implies that the guys who have gotten huge somehow easily or accidentally got that way; that the years and years of intense effort and complete dedication (and in many cases, use of mildly dangerous drugs) didn't really happen.

You are 'big' because you have a lot of body fat. Adding muscle mass will greatly improve the shape of your body AND greatly increase your ability to burn calories (taking off and keeping off that fat.) So rather than worry about getting 'too big', make it your mission in life to gain as much muscle as possible (while cutting fat.) If you honestly wake up one day and think to yourself 'hmm, maybe I'm getting as big as I want to get', that's the day you start doing maintenance lifting instead of pushing your limits all the time.

You say you want to do SWAT. That means you're going to need strong legs and a strong back/core. I can think of nothing that will serve those needs as effectively as squatting and deadlifting; two things you can do very well with an olympic barbell set and a power rack, but which you can't do very well (or at all) with a bowflex or other all-in-one gym. A bowflex is fine for 'getting toned' (and can build significant muscle if you use it right), but given your goals, strength training with a power rack will be much more effective.

A bit of advice on lifting style: Heavy weights with low reps (strength training) won't add size as much as higher reps with lower weights (typical bodybuilding), but will add more strength. So, if you're honestly afraid of getting bulky muscles, heavy lifting is your friend, not your enemy.

mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50) mdetwile will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by skuZZitude View Post
    I don't think he meant it like that. What I gather he means is that he wants to be lean and muscular, like Mark Walhberg or Brad Pitt. What's wrong with that? Why do you have to take everything as an insult? It sounds like you're the one who has a problem not him. Why do you find it so hard to believe that not everyone wants to be a body builder? Just because some people work their heart off every day to achieve something doesn't mean other people want it. If I could just snap my fingers and INSTANTLY have a body like Jay Cutler or Ronnie I wouldn't do it, because I never want to be that huge. You can call me crazy but it's true. Sorry you find it disrespectful that people have different goals than your own, I feel bad if that's the case. Did you even read the posters original post?
    I agree, I don't think it was meant to be insulting whatsoever. Additionally, recommending that a novice go heavy with the deadlift and squat would probably only get him injured. He has to start somewhere.

Originally Posted by kauzLaric View Post
    I read through quite a few pages of Bowflex vs Freeweights. I know for a fact that Freeweights are better for getting BIG. I don't want to get "BIG". I am currently very overweight. *Look at my bodyspace* - I want to lose about 80-100 pounds of FAT and then just get defined. The physique I want is that of Mark Wahlberg. (See attatched photo)

I am going to college for criminal justice and want to get onto a SWAT Team, so I'll need to be in good shape, but I dont want to be BIG. Just defined. I'd want to be a little smaller in the arms than him I think, but that picture is pretty close.

As I said, I do know freeweights are better, but, can I achieve that physique with a Bowflex?

I just think it'd be alot easier working out on the Bowflex, easier to adjust weight instead of having to remove/add weight each session, kind of a pain. My Dad has a few dumbbell/barbells and he has to use a rubber mallet to tighten em? Seems like a PITA and I think it'd discourage me fast.

Well, if you guys say that I can't achieve that physique with a bowflex, then I'll try to find some decent free weights, but if you think I can, I might go with a Bowflex. But again, I am asking for your opinions, not flames.

I also understand the ONLY way to achieve that physique is a strict diet and workout.

-David
    I gave you some good advice in my earlier posts, but I don't think you paid any attention to it. Honestly, for YOUR goals, you really have NO BUSINESS lifting weights, at least right now. Anyway, I'll give it one more attempt to get through, and the rest is up to you. Read this article....... "Your body is a barbell. No dumbbells, no barbells, no problem"

By Alwyn Cosgrove

Muscles are just plain dumb. Despite their ability at some level to perform amazing Cirque De Soleil type feats, muscles only know two things, stretch and tension. They cant differentiate between stretches (whether the stretch is coming from yoga or from Taekwon-do kicking) or types of tension.

Lets talk tension. As far as a fitness enthusiast is concerned, muscle tension comes when you place resistance on the muscles. And it doesn't matter what form that resistance takes. You see, as far as the muscles are concerned, resistance is resistance is resistance. The muscles have no idea what form the resistance takes, whether it is a dumbbell, a resistance band, a barbell or your bodyweight. True, free weights are superior to machines when it comes to building strength, but its because free weights require you to stabilize the load in three planes, not because the weight on the muscles is any different.

In fact when you think about it, the only reason to ever use external load (i.e. weights) is because your bodyweight is not enough resistance. Yet most guys are making exercises harder by adding external load, when they arent capable of handling their bodyweight in the same exercise. I'm constantly amazed by how many people I meet who can bench press whatever pounds of weight, but are unable to perform 10 correct push ups (typically due to a lack of core strength and synergistic muscle stability. As far as I'm concerned, unless you can do an easy twenty push ups, you have no business getting under a bar for bench pressing. In my training facility everyone begins with bodyweight exercises. You have to earn the right to lift weights in my facility.

Now I'm sure some of you are jumping up and down right about now, convinced that your bodyweight is not enough for you to get a good workout. You think you're much too strong. And you're probably right. If you're an Olympic Gymnast that is. Remember - most gymnasts use primarily their bodyweight in their conditioning programs and have no problem developing great physiques and great strength levels. I'd go as far as to say that most gymnasts have better physiques than most weight trainers. And these guys train exclusively for performance. not for mass or aesthetics. Nick Grantham CSCS, former conditioning coach to the Great Britain Olympic Gymnastics team noted that the majority of male gymnasts, after years of bodyweight training could typically bench press double their bodyweight the first time they ever tried it. If that's not evidence of the efficacy of bodyweight training then I don't know what is.

The key to effective bodyweight exercises are the same as with any exercise, time and tension. We need to select exercises that load the muscles effectively through the entire range of motion, and select a speed of movement that eliminates all momentum.

Workouts

Lower Body

A1: Bulgarian Split Squat: 2 sets x AMRAP each leg @ 333 30s rest

A2: Hip thigh extension: 2 sets x AMRAP each leg @ 333 30s rest

B1: Partial co-contraction lunge: 2 sets x AMRAP each leg @ 333 30s rest

B2: Step Up: 2 sets x 15-20 each leg @ 201 30s rest

C1: SL Partial squat: 2 sets x 15-20 each leg @ 333 30s rest

C2: Single Leg RDL: 2 sets x 15-20 each leg @ 333 30s rest

D1: Single Leg Squat: 2 sets x AMRAP each leg @ 303 30s rest

D2: Single Leg Deadlift: 2 sets x AMRAP each leg @ 303 30s rest

Upper Body

A1: T-Push Ups Left arm: 2 sets of 15 reps @ 211 30s rest

A2: Inverted Row: 2 sets of AMRAP @ 211 30s rest

A3: T- Push Ups Right arm: 2 sets of 15 reps @ 211 90s rest

B1: Mixed Grip Chins: 2 sets of 5-6 reps EACH SIDE @ 222 30s rest

B2: Dips: 2 sets of AMRAP @ 211 30s rest

B3: Prone Jackknife: 2 sets of 10-20 reps @ 232 30s rest

C1: Pike Push ups: 2 Sets of AMRAP @ 222 30s rest

C2: Reverse Crunch: 2 sets of 15-20 @ 111 30s rest

Advanced options

So is bodyweight training too easy for you? Yeah right. If that's truly the case then here are a few variations that you can use for any of the exercises to dial up the masochism factor.

Oscillatory isometrics: This is an exotic name for what is essentially performing 4-5 short range mini-reps at the end range of the exercise. For example, perform the concentric portion (the lifting portion) of a chin up at a normal speed, then lower yourself down an inch or so and bounce (controlled) up and down in that end range for 4-5 reps, before lowering yourself back to the start.

Dynamic Isometrics: Not a misnomer, just a combination of two complete opposite methods. This involves maintaining an isometric contraction in the toughest position of the lift for 4-5 seconds, and then performing the concentric and eccentric portions as fast as possible and returning to the isometric position. For example you'd be doing a tempo of X5X. Hold the bottom of a push up position for 5 seconds, then straighten and bend your arms as fast as possible.

Iso-explosives: Just taking the above a step further. A combination of isometric holds in the toughest position, with an explosive exercises. For example: hold the bottom of a Bulgarian split squat or a push up for 4-5 seconds, then as you press back up, explode with maximal force so your body actually leaves the floor.

One and a quarter reps: Perform the entire rep, and an additional quarter rep in the toughest part of the range (typically the bottom). This overloads your weakest angles by performing twice as many reps in that range.

Ladder reps: Break the exercise up into thirds, the bottom third, the bottom two-thirds and the full rep. For example perform five dips in the bottom third of the range (the toughest portion), then five reps in the bottom two-thirds of the range and finally perform five full range repetitions. This means you'll have performed fifteen reps in the toughest range of the exercise, but only five in the easiest range.

Once you are capable of performing 15-20 reps of each of these exercises at the given tempo with ease, you are now allowed to grab a 5lb dumbbell and start over!

For more info on Alwyn Cosgrove, go to: http://www.alwyncosgrove.com
    Last edited by Dinotrainer; 05-29-2007 at 11:23 PM.

dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dannyjg444 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Talking BowFlex is amazing!

I got the Bowflex Revolution 6 months ago. I have been working out with free weights since i was 16. I never thought anything could replace freeweights. I am building easier and leaner with the Bowflex than i ever did with freeweights.

I suggest the Bowflex Revolution. It feels like freeweights. I also recommend you treat your Bowflex workouts the same as freeweight workouts. Focus on your goals. (i.e. less reps, higher weight to get bigger, more reps, less weight to get defined and leaner). Has been great for total body (usually, the leg portion of home machines is lacking)

Lastly, I recommend the weight upgrade (takes Bowflex to 625lbs) and home installation. It does require some calibration at first that they do for you.

Hope you enjoy it as much as i do!

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dannyjg444 View Post
    I got the Bowflex Revolution 6 months ago. I have been working out with free weights since i was 16. I never thought anything could replace freeweights. I am building easier and leaner with the Bowflex than i ever did with freeweights.

I suggest the Bowflex Revolution. It feels like freeweights. I also recommend you treat your Bowflex workouts the same as freeweight workouts. Focus on your goals. (i.e. less reps, higher weight to get bigger, more reps, less weight to get defined and leaner). Has been great for total body (usually, the leg portion of home machines is lacking)

Lastly, I recommend the weight upgrade (takes Bowflex to 625lbs) and home installation. It does require some calibration at first that they do for you.

Whoops! Did I make you red? Sorry bro... I know you're a good poster. Will rep you twice when off spread to make up for it.

Strong 5 year bump for your first post. Welcome, Bowflex employee.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't know about the Bowflex revolution, if 600 bowlfex lbs feels like 600 lbs of freeweights that's an amazing accomplishment. Unfortunately it costs over 3K, and takes up as much space as a half rack.

But normally 200 bowflex lbs isn't even 120 lbs of freeweights.

If you have dreams of joining a SWAT team you will need a minimum amount of strength. You will need to deadlift and squat around twice your lean bodyweight and bench 1.5xBW. That's 400 lbs of resistance for most people. Bowflex won't allow that.

And don't worry about gaining that minimum strength after you get lean. It won't make you much bigger, not even as big as your male model.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by trimble006 View Post
    Whoops! Did I make you red? Sorry bro... I know you're a good poster. Will rep you twice when off spread to make up for it.

Strong 5 year bump for your first post. Welcome, Bowflex employee.
    Now that is funny. Repped.

Edit, gotta spread some first.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I guess Bowflex sales are so poor, they are planting reviews now...
    {}---{} Best of the Best Machines and Free Weights Crew #1 {}---{}
    MXA------MEDX Avenger Crew #2------MXA
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #12 []---[]

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dannyjg444 View Post

There is a great possibility that this is the dumbest post I've ever read.

Lets see....
    You're supposedly getting better results from the BowFlex than you ever did with free weights?
    But....
    It feels like free weights
    You recommend you treat your Bowflex workouts the same as free weight workouts.
    You I recommend the weight upgrade (to add free weight plates, I'm assuming).

Why would someone buy a BowFlex if it's trying so hard to be like free weights when you could just....I dunno....BUY free weights.
    I guess I'm crazy.

Oh, and don't bump 5 year old post for stuff like this garbage.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.