Registered User N3wbieToWorkout's Avatar
    N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is there any problem with protein powder being a primary protein source?

Hello,

I've been doing some research on this, and can't find anything about getting a majority of protein from protein powder. Most of the stuff I find is related to eating ONLY protein powder (as a meal replacement), which clearly isn't a balanced diet.

I'm a relatively picky eater... And I'm able to get a good amount of protein from alternative sources (the only meat I eat is chicken, but I've been getting sick of eating lots of it it). I know there are other ways to get protein, through plans, eggs and stuff. However, I've recently been experimenting with using protein powder in my cooking for things such as protein pancakes, protein desserts, overnight oats, etc... I'm quite happy with the results, however I'm aware that there isn't much variety in the source of protein since they all come from protein powder. While I do mix in things like eggs, chic pea pastas, and chicken throughout the days, I've come to realize that more than 60-70% of my protein intake is coming from these protein powder based meals I've been experimenting with. I know I'm strictly speaking about protein in this post, but for the sake of my question, lets assume the rest of my diet is mostly well balanced (I eat my veggies, and am getting carbs through other sources such as oats/pastas).

So to the point, is there anything wrong with such a high percentage of my protein coming from protein powders? If not, is there any harm in increasing these protein powder based meals?

Thanks in advance!

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    well it's not going to kill you, but something like 4 eggs, 300 grams of chicken (or ground beef) and 2 scoops of whey is already plenty of protein. keep in mind that pasta and oatmeal contain some protein too

just make sure to eat enough fat (60-70 grams minimum per day) to keep those hormones working

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nothing wrong with getting 100% of your protein from protein powder, buy it in bulk as protein isolate for quality on the cheap

Just make sure you're getting your vitamins & minerals as well

I recommend:
    Orange Triad + Greens
    Iron (since you're not eating meats)
    Zinc

Bananas or sweet potatoes would have you covered on magnezium & potassium on the cheap

Also make sure you're consuming enough fat (good fat), olive oil would work on the cheap

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

Download the free cronometer app to see how you're doing on your targets
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100) almalakyroyal is not very well liked. (-100)
    It's great that you're conscious of your protein intake and are experimenting with various sources to meet your dietary needs. Protein powder can be a convenient and effective way to supplement your protein intake, but there are some considerations to keep in mind when it becomes a primary protein source:

Nutritional Balance: While protein powder is an excellent source of protein, it shouldn't be your sole or primary source of nutrition. It lacks the full spectrum of vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients that whole foods provide. Make sure you're still getting a variety of foods to ensure a balanced diet.

Digestibility: Some people may experience digestive issues when consuming too much protein powder. This can include bloating, gas, and stomach discomfort. Make sure you're not overloading your digestive system with too much protein powder.

Quality Matters: The quality of protein powder varies, so choose a reputable brand that uses high-quality ingredients. Look for options with minimal additives and sweeteners.

Variety: As you've mentioned, there isn't much variety in the source of protein when it comes from protein powder. Different protein sources provide varying amino acid profiles and micronutrients, so it's beneficial to diversify your protein intake for overall health.

Consider Dietary Preferences: If you're primarily using protein powder because of dietary preferences or restrictions, like being a picky eater or following a vegetarian or vegan diet, make sure you're still getting essential nutrients from other sources.

Individual Needs: Your protein requirements may vary depending on your age, activity level, and fitness goals. Consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian to determine your specific protein needs and how best to meet them.

latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's more for accessibility and some believe in quick absorption after a hard session but in general getting your protein from food sources i believe is better.

I will always go natural over anything made in a lab.
    "it takes a wise man to know when he is in error and a noble man to admit to it"

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by N3wbieToWorkout View Post
    I know I'm strictly speaking about protein in this post, but for the sake of my question, lets assume the rest of my diet is mostly well balanced (I eat my veggies, and am getting carbs through other sources such as oats/pastas).
    I highly doubt anyone who gets almost all of their protein from protein powder makes sure they have a well-balanced diet.

Regardless, meat, seafood & even plant-based protein sources have a lot more vitamins, minerals & other nutrients that you won't find in many protein powders.

But in the end it's your body, so feel free to eat (or not eat) whatever you want.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Funihe renal hoses in offevil Kanas for traving wokes

StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well, since you are a picky eater, you may want to train yourself in that area of life, just as a bodybuilder would train muscles.

When you train yourself to expand your pallet, you may gradually come to enjoy a lot more variety of food and find greater satisfaction in eating with a bodybuilding purpose.

Furthermore, you may then be in a better position to recognize the influence, if any, that mass marketing has had on your beliefs regarding food, particularly protein supplements.

As you said, 'most of the stuff you found is related to eating ONLY protein powder (as a meal replacement), which clearly isn't a balanced diet.' Continue that line of reasoning… If eating only protein powder is clearly unbalanced, and eating real food in addition to protein powder is more balanced, then eating only real food is the most balanced, is it not?

Some protein powder may be as relatively harmless as eating food, but it is also only as beneficial as eating real food and not more beneficial, and less beneficial for sure without added fiber. Other protein powders may be as unhealthy as eating other types of processed foods that have added protein to give it a "good" name. Generally, healthy folks shy away from processed foods with multiple ingredients, which would include many, many top-brand protein powders.

Protein powders just are not that important. But food is. And some protein powder mimics food closely.

It seems to me, however, that you may be drifting toward the second best direction because of your current pickiness. I would encourage you to begin now to acquire an expanded taste.

Registered User N3wbieToWorkout's Avatar
    N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10) N3wbieToWorkout is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks everyone for the kind and quick feedback! I found all of this very helpful!

For some background, I've been on a weight loss journey for a year or so, which has consisted mostly of veggies, eggs, chicken and very disciplined portion sizes. Anyhow, for those that were doubting getting the rest of the a balanced diet while mostly getting protein from protein powder, that's a fair but not totally accurate assumption (also why I said in OP that this is strictly to learn about protein powder as a large percentage of total protein intake, not total meal replacement/only source of protein). I certainly am not close to a perfect diet, but I do okay for the most part getting most of my veggies/fats in (and carbs is certainly not a problem haha). Now that I'm at a comfortable weight, I'm looking to increase calorie/protein intake. And while chicken/eggs can get me lots of protein, I've found eating those all day everyday to get to 150-160g protein to be boring/tedious.

That's where I've been experimenting with things like protein pancakes, protein powder based desserts, hell even just adding a protein shake to a lower protein dinner if I'm feeling sick of chicken/eggs. Also steaming vegetables to go along side a meal like this.

Also thanks again, I know increasing my palette is obviously the best solution and getting protein from real foods. And believe it or not, I've already come a long way in my "pickyness" journey, but it's certainly a process incorporating newer foods, as it takes time to adjust, and I'm trying to incorporate/increase my palette slowly as to enjoy my foods and maintain a sustainable rather that painful diet.

It sounds like it's not a perfect path, but as I'm learning to eat new foods, it's not a horrible approach to use protein powders as a high source of protein intake as long as the rest of my diet is balanced .

For those that mention quality of protein powder, does anyone have an opinion of quest? I've been liking their casein/whey blend, which consists of 24g/protein and 120 calories per serving. I do believe there is a decent amount of sweetener in this, however it doesn't have any negative affect on my gut health/digestion from what I can tell, and I don't believe many other additives.

Thanks again for all the advice, and I will certainly continue working on my palette and hopefully slowly work towards a point of protein powders being more of a supplement instead of a higher percentage of total protein intake!

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whey protein isolate

If you want the best, get Dymatize ISO 100

Otherwise, the bulk unflavored whey protein isolate 10 lb bag from NOW nutrition can be found on sale once in a while on different sites
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png