NotoriousWrath is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy I need some advice

Hello,

I’m slightly new to bodybuilding and started around about a year ago. I then stopped due to lockdown and recently got back into it.

I did my arms and shoulders on Monday and then moved to Abs and legs on Tuesday. Please bare in mind I took over a year of break due to lockdown and these were my first sessions after that.

I did not do any warm ups for the leg day and did a couple of lunges. About 12-16 reps for a total of 5 sets. I did have some light dumbbells as well.

Everything was fine until I woke up the next day. I felt extreme pain in my quadriceps and the pain travelled all the way to my knees if I tried moving. It’s basically extreme cramps / knots which I feel in my quadriceps if I try a little movement. It’s the worst pain I have experienced till date.

This started on Wednesday morning and I haven’t gotten out of bed since. I have tried multiple times to do so but the moment I put my feet on the floor and try to add slight pressure, it’s like a quick stab to the knee or thigh and I feel the shock instantly.

I’m not sure what I should do in this situation. Should I try to power through and try to get up? This will be extremely painful and I’m not sure if this will result in the pain going away or if I will just have to sit back down in bed again.

On Wednesday morning I had to keep my legs straight and any movement resulted in extreme cramps however today it has gone a little better and I’m able to move my legs around a little. Still not to the point where I can stand up but an improvement. I still get random sudden shocks / cramps however.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like you injured yourself somehow. Did you notice any acute pain occurring right after you did something during your workout? If not, I would try to keep stretching and moving, and see a doctor if your daily functional movement is still impaired after a day or two.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NotoriousWrath View Post
    This started on Wednesday morning and I haven’t gotten out of bed since. ... Still not to the point where I can stand up but an improvement.
    This isn't normal. If you're 100% sure you're not being a p**** and really haven't been able to move from the bed for 2 days, call a doctor or 911.

Unhappy

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Sounds like you injured yourself somehow. Did you notice any acute pain occurring right after you did something during your workout? If not, I would try to keep stretching and moving, and see a doctor if your daily functional movement is still impaired after a day or two.
    Hey yeah so after the initial workout. I didn’t feel anything wrong at all. I did however walk down the stairs at one point and felt like I had no energy in my leg and almost fell. Other than that, everything was fine until I went to sleep.

Today is day 2 and I’m still in bed. The moment I try to apply pressure on my feet to stand, it kills me with weird cramps around the quads and knee. It’s both legs. I understand there is something called soreness and I’ve experienced that many times. However this isn’t exactly soreness. It’s more of unbearable cramps or knots.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    This isn't normal. If you're 100% sure you're not being a p**** and really haven't been able to move from the bed for 2 days, call a doctor or 911.
    100% nothing to do with me being a p****. It’s extreme cramps or knots the moment I try to move out of bed. It’s not any type of pain I’ve felt before.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    It sounds like you're experiencing something common amongst untrained individuals called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). It also affects those who train a certain muscle group infrequently, for example once a week or less. I envy you, I haven't felt DOMS in a long time.

Stay hydrated. Keep moving. Keep training consistently (try to hit each muscle group at least twice a week). If you continue training, the feeling you are going through now will fade away in the coming weeks to the point you won't really notice it anymore.

Take a look at proper novice programs that will help manage your fatigue and provide enough stimulus for sustainable growth:
    Fierce 5 Fullbody Novice - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631
    GZCLP - https://saynotobroscience.com/gzclp-infographic/
    You haven't felt DOMS at all in a long time? I know it gets mitigated as your training level advances but surely you get at least some.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    100% nothing to do with me being a p****. It’s extreme cramps or knots the moment I try to move out of bed. It’s not any type of pain I’ve felt before.
    People get attacked by bears or hit by grenades and crawl their way to freedom within 2 days time. Call a doctor or have someone bring you a bedpan.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I cut my thumb on a table saw, wrapped it in a towel and drove myself to an emergency room through slow traffic. They put in 6 stitches and sent me on my way with codeine. Washed down a codeine with an adult beverage. An hour later I was mowing lawns. I self administered a rapid 9 panel drug screen out of curiosity after mowing and passed. Not posting the picture directly due to TOS, but posting a link to the picture of my thumb at the e.r. Click at your own risk.

thumb.jpg

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    Nah, I'm running full body every other day. My off days I walk, and no soreness at all.

I remember what it felt like where it hurt to get up and move, even several days after training. Nothing like that anymore. Just dull muscle weakness / heaviness.

Maybe when I switch it up to Upper / Lower in the Fall I'll feel the DOMS again.
    Yeah, for me lately I've felt it less but on the heavy squats and deadlifts, I'm still getting it in my legs and upper back. Outside of that it tends to be very mild but still there. Very seldom do my lats and chest feel it even after hard sessions but everywhere else seems to be fair game.

Still though, I don't even think beginner level DOMS should be keeping anyone in bed...

Smile

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    I cut my thumb on a table saw, wrapped it in a towel and drove myself to an emergency room through slow traffic. They put in 6 stitches and sent me on my way with codeine. Washed down a codeine with an adult beverage. An hour later I was mowing lawns. I self administered a rapid 9 panel drug screen out of curiosity after mowing and passed. Not posting the picture directly due to TOS, but posting a link to the picture of my thumb at the e.r. Click at your own risk.

Attachment 9341973
    I’m very sorry to hear that. I’m actually currently 18 years of age so I don’t have much knowledge about certain topics when it comes to bodybuilding. I have however powered through it and did a few chores just now. There was a lot of pain initially when getting out of bed but im doing fine now.

The only difficult part is to bend the leg as the quads are swollen. I’m sure I’ll be much better by tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for the comments and advice.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I’m very sorry to hear that. I’m actually currently 18 years of age so I don’t have much knowledge about certain topics when it comes to bodybuilding. I have however powered through it and did a few chores just now. There was a lot of pain initially when getting out of bed but im doing fine now.

The only difficult part is to bend the leg as the quads are swollen. I’m sure I’ll be much better by tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for the comments and advice.
    You probably tried to train at the same level of volume you had when you stopped lifting one year ago. That won't work. You should train at the level you did when you first started, not the level when you stopped.

5 sets in the 12-16 rep range seems like a lot. I do 3-4 sets max per body part.

Smile

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    You probably tried to train at the same level of volume you had when you stopped lifting one year ago. That won't work. You should train at the level you did when you first started, not the level when you stopped.

5 sets in the 12-16 rep range seems like a lot. I do 3-4 sets max per body part.

Yeah it was my fault for overestimating myself. I’ll definitely start with lower reps and weights after the recovery.