Thread: Belts

ChaosCamo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Belts

Hi,

After taking an extended break from weightlifting, I have returned to focus on deads, squats and bench. Can someone give me some insight about weightlifting belts? are they 100% necessary for lighter lifts?

Registered User SeanClements315's Avatar
    SeanClements315 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanClements315 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanClements315 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanClements315 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanClements315 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanClements315 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    necessary? no. smart? yes.
    I train strongman but when I first got into BB I used a Valeo Belt. It was only 4inch in the back but I chose to use it so when I get into heavier lifts Id be used to the extra support. Now dont get me wrong I dont use it for bench press or arm work outs but for deadlifts, yokes, farmer carries, atlas stones, squats etc I use my belt. Cant go wrong! Look at the pros, they use them!
    The wolf at the top of the mountain is never as hungry as the wolf on the bottom.

GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100)
    Make sure you aren't confusing weight lifting belts with ?"powerlifting"? belts.

The ones that weight lifters use aren't as thick at the front.

A belt you would use for powerlifting is 4inches tall all the way around and either 10mm or 13mm thick.

Wearing a good thick belt as tight as you can get it will add lbs to your lifts, simple as that.

I just got a lever belt after using a double prong belt for around 5 years, both work fine but the lever makes pulling it tight easier, the prong belt sometimes hurt my shoulder as I pulled it around to get it tight.

Eventually a 10mm belt will start to weaken and stretch slightly as you brace into it which makes it less useful. A 13mm belt should take longer to degrade.
    Squat - 190kg

Bench - 107.5kg

Deadlift - 195kg

master4lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Agree with gray and mild. By not using belt until heavier weights, you will get stronger by not relying on assistance gear, that said proper technique is necessary to reduce chance of injury. I use a 10mm belt in training on top sets.

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can a belt help improve beltless squat? Like maybe allow for more training or something? I'm only interested in beltless numbers, but if a belt helps me improve those it might be worth it.
    2022 -- Just maintaining and doing the van life
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP question,No for light training.
    You can if you want and some feel better with one.
    Things to remember when not using one is to make sure your tight and bracing the core with tension while lifting.

Question above from Jademmonkey,the only thing a belt can do is help create more tension therefore possible lifting more weight.
    The issue is a belt acts as artificial core /muscle and when you don't use it you don't have the same stability in that area and you will be weaker.
    I don't know of anyone who is stronger without a belt than with one.