thebigdaddy69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Am I on the right track?

Gained 100lbs of dad weight over the past 2 years. Looking to lose fat and gain muscle again. I'm 6'3, before the baby I was about 155-160lbs. I'm now 260 🤣.

Going to the gym 5-6 days a week in addition to working long full time hours. Trying to nail a diet that's convenient and efficient.

Currently eating:
    Oatmeal + peanut butter
    2 eggs
    Chicken + rice + broccoli
    Almonds
    Fish + Sweet potato
    Protein shake
    Chicken salad

I don't eat any sugar, and I limit the carbs/sodium. Will this keep me on the right path? Really trying to progress quickly

HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lose the peanut butter and protein shake, add a cup of vegies to each meal. Do 10,000 steps a day. Good things will happen. Good luck.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by HanleyTucks View Post
    Lose the peanut butter and protein shake, add a cup of vegies to each meal. Do 10,000 steps a day. Good things will happen. Good luck.
    Wow you’re making an epically bad start for yourself here.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This doesn't make any sense, everything in this statement is just arbitrary.

OP, track calories to the best of your abilities (after finding your TDEE and caloric maintenance) and basically just eat what you're eating in slightly smaller quantities
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) HanleyTucks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bLinkMoore View Post
    This doesn't make any sense, everything in this statement is just arbitrary.
    Yes.

But someone 100lbs overweight doesn't need the fats of peanut butter, especially since it'll be a large portion. He put on 100lbs in 2 years, remember. That's a pound a week. He didn't do that with small tasting portions.

Eating more vegetables will do the man no harm whatsoever. It will fill him up and make it less likely he fills himself up with the old stuff he used to eat a lot of. It will provide him micronutrients to improve his energy levels and mood (somewhat depleted from having a child) and water and fibre to assist in good digestive function. While adding not many calories. All good things.

OP, track calories to the best of your abilities (after finding your TDEE and caloric maintenance) and basically just eat what you're eating in slightly smaller quantities
    The chances of someone who put on 100lbs in 2 years tracking calories is approximately zero. Nobody goes from completely careless to extremely careful. Everyone wants to change everything at once, and people who have never been in that situation usually advise changing everything and a half. You're 19, you haven't been a dad, faced dealing with kids and a full-time job and all that all at once. He's not going to weigh and measure his food and count calories, not for more than a few days anyway. It won't happen. Why are there no Biggest Loser Reunion Specials? Because lasting change comes from small steady steps.

You are considering what he should do. I am considering what he can do. Luckily, there is some overlap.

Step by step, OP.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "Doesn't need the fats of peanut butter" is just as arbitrary as your last statement. Why? Why should he not have the fats of peanut butter? Learning portion control is a lot more sustainable than saying "stop eating peanut butter entirely".

Yeah, I agree on the vegetable part--except that unless he monitors his calories (approximately at first, of course--nobody's expecting him to be weighing out portions of skinless chicken on a food scale) it won't do him much good because he's still in a surplus. If he makes sure that because he's more full from the veggies he isn't eating as much other, more calorically dense, food, and ultimately ends up in a deficit, then great.

He's already restructuring his diet and finding time to go to the gym, reducing portion sizes is a perfectly reasonable place to start.
    Bodyweight 185

Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Reducing portion sizes is the best you can do. Still eat the foods you like without too much sacrifice.

100% sustainable.
    I have a good joke about water retention. But I'm going to hold onto it for now.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    But someone 100lbs overweight doesn't need the fats of peanut butter
    They do. Overweight people need healthy fats too.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 11-29-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100)
    Yes.

But someone 100lbs overweight doesn't need the fats of peanut butter, especially since it'll be a large portion. He put on 100lbs in 2 years, remember. That's a pound a week. He didn't do that with small tasting portions.

Eating more vegetables will do the man no harm whatsoever. It will fill him up and make it less likely he fills himself up with the old stuff he used to eat a lot of. It will provide him micronutrients to improve his energy levels and mood (somewhat depleted from having a child) and water and fibre to assist in good digestive function. While adding not many calories. All good things.

The chances of someone who put on 100lbs in 2 years tracking calories is approximately zero. Nobody goes from completely careless to extremely careful. Everyone wants to change everything at once, and people who have never been in that situation usually advise changing everything and a half. You're 19, you haven't been a dad, faced dealing with kids and a full-time job and all that all at once. He's not going to weigh and measure his food and count calories, not for more than a few days anyway. It won't happen. Why are there no Biggest Loser Reunion Specials? Because lasting change comes from small steady steps.

You are considering what he should do. I am considering what he can do. Luckily, there is some overlap.

Step by step, OP.
    maybe you aren't committed enough to track calories but I think its dumb to say people wont go from careless to extremely careful. I did and just saying bs advice like lose the pb +protein shake isn't gonna guide him in the right direction. using your flawed logic why wouldn't he still be adding weight if he takes huge portions for his current diet what about the shake and pb makes you think that will be the deal breaker????
    Donald Trump Jr. and Tucker Carlson 2024

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Yes.

But someone 100lbs overweight doesn't need the fats of peanut butter, especially since it'll be a large portion.

The chances of someone who put on 100lbs in 2 years tracking calories is approximately zero.

Step by step, OP.
    Nobody said it was going to be a large portion.

You are clearly new here so let me tell you a little secret, the chances of someone who has put on weight, regardless of it being 10lbs or 100lbs over the space of 2 years and counting their calories are quite high, as it happens, here, all the time, so you couldn't be more wrong or judgemental.
    Eat the damn yolk.

thebigdaddy69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I appreciate the response everyone. I have definitely limited my portions. I didn't want to cut all fats out of my diet as I've been understanding they are still needed. I have definitely been careful with eating carbs and try to avoid sugar like it's the plague. It's insane how many things are bad for you and contain sugar.

Is it worth getting technical with calorie counting and ratios? I just want to make the most of my progress and if I'm committing this much I want to be sure I'm getting the most out of it.

I can see how it's hard to believe that someone can go from the conditioning/programming of eating terribly for years to the complete opposite. I feel like part of it is an all or nothing mentality I've had. I had my dial set to a certain mode for so long, and I was ready to switch it. I used to smoke a pack a day for years and one day I was ready to switch it. Coffee has been very hard for me to quit. I get feelings of withdrawals, fatigue etc. Making these changes little by little, don't want to overwhelm myself and turn that dial back, lol

FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thebigdaddy69 View Post
    I appreciate the response everyone. I have definitely limited my portions. I didn't want to cut all fats out of my diet as I've been understanding they are still needed. I have definitely been careful with eating carbs and try to avoid sugar like it's the plague. It's insane how many things are bad for you and contain sugar.

Is it worth getting technical with calorie counting and ratios? I just want to make the most of my progress and if I'm committing this much I want to be sure I'm getting the most out of it.

I can see how it's hard to believe that someone can go from the conditioning/programming of eating terribly for years to the complete opposite. I feel like part of it is an all or nothing mentality I've had. I had my dial set to a certain mode for so long, and I was ready to switch it. I used to smoke a pack a day for years and one day I was ready to switch it. Coffee has been very hard for me to quit. I get feelings of withdrawals, fatigue etc. Making these changes little by little, don't want to overwhelm myself and turn that dial back, lol
    In my opinion, you don't really need to worry about ratios too much right now. Just focus on the total calorie consumption.

Weight loss and healthy living are all about mindset. If a person really wants a desired outcome, they will commit to it. From what you wrote, it looks like you understand the concept and that is the most important factor for success.

Best of luck
    Calls 'em like I sees 'em Crew
    Suomalainen Crew
    Feels like a manlet around Amazonian women Crew
    Gets turned on when looking in the mirror Crew

I wouldn't get too stressed with the finer details for now. If anything, track protein. And don't worry about the carbs, as long as you're staying in a deficit--but, of course, if avoiding carbs helps you stay in a deficit and you think it's sustainable, then there's nothing wrong with that. Just be cautious about drastically limiting a whole macronutrient group in the early days of your dieting, that very rarely works out well
    Bodyweight 185

Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joshua455 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Gained 100lbs of dad weight over the past 2 years. Looking to lose fat and gain muscle again. I'm 6'3, before the baby I was about 155-160lbs. I'm now 260 🤣.

Going to the gym 5-6 days a week in addition to working long full time hours. Trying to nail a diet that's convenient and efficient.

Currently eating:
    Oatmeal + peanut butter
    2 eggs
    Chicken + rice + broccoli
    Almonds
    Fish + Sweet potato
    Protein shake
    Chicken salad

I don't eat any sugar, and I limit the carbs/sodium. Will this keep me on the right path? Really trying to progress quickly

Be careful, I wouldn't go to the gym more than 4 times a week. Focus on healthy eating, good sleep. Give yourself time to recover.