jxv397 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Contradictory protein calculation methods

Hi all,

I had started trying to build muscle quite some time ago and had one session with a PT who tried to give me a nutrition plan. Based on some BMR calculations he reckoned I needed 3300 calories per day. Then for macro split he said 40 40 20 carbs protein and fat. Fine so this works out at 334g of protein a day. Then I get the curve ball that my protein target should be 1g per lb of body weight and no more than that, now I weighed 175 lbs at the time so 175g of protein is the new number. That's roughly 20 percent nowhere near 40!
    I started looking online and everywhere has the same thing, calculate protein intake from calories and macro split, but then later in the same articles this g per lb bodyweight guide appears with a completely different result!! Needless to say I've ignored it all and gone on calories only and not bothered with macros at all and I'm doing fine but I'm curious what you guys do to resolve this contradictory "advice"?

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jxv397 View Post
    Hi all,

I had started trying to build muscle quite some time ago and had one session with a PT who tried to give me a nutrition plan. Based on some BMR calculations he reckoned I needed 3300 calories per day. Then for macro split he said 40 40 20 carbs protein and fat. Fine so this works out at 334g of protein a day. Then I get the curve ball that my protein target should be 1g per lb of body weight and no more than that, now I weighed 175 lbs at the time so 175g of protein is the new number. That's roughly 20 percent nowhere near 40!
    I started looking online and everywhere has the same thing, calculate protein intake from calories and macro split, but then later in the same articles this g per lb bodyweight guide appears with a completely different result!! Needless to say I've ignored it all and gone on calories only and not bothered with macros at all and I'm doing fine but I'm curious what you guys do to resolve this contradictory "advice"?
    We as CPTs are not permitted to give nutritional advice and even if so, he lacks knowledge based on his advice to you

.7g/lbs is the researched MINIMUM, of which you can go higher if desired

Do not use ratios to calculate macros, your post is a good example why

Read the sticky below on proper calculation of macros

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Estimating your TDEE

The average number of calories you expend per day is called your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). To estimate it, it's easiest to use a TDEE calculator such as: https://www.freedieting.com/tools/ca...calculator.htm

Keep in mind this number is only an estimate. What your real TDEE is can be found out by monitoring your weight and calorie intake over time.

In order to maintain weight eat the amount of calories of your TDEE.

In order to gain weight add a moderate amount of calories to your TDEE, for example 300 calories.

In order to lose weight subtract a moderate amount of calories from your TDEE, for example 500 calories.

Adjust your intake based on what happens on the scale over time, for example one or two weeks. Keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate daily. This fluctuation can be up to several pounds. In order to minimise fluctuations weigh yourself first thing in the morning after visiting the toilet.

If you’d like to minimise weight fluctuations further consider tracking your weight with a moving 7 day average (a.k.a. rolling average) or a weekly average. How to calculate a weekly average or rolling average can be found on Google. There are a few smartphone apps that can do it for you, for example: Libra (Android) and Happy Scale (IOS).

Suggested rate of weight gain and loss

Losing weight too fast can result in muscle loss while gaining weight too fast can result in excessive fat gain. In order to avoid muscle loss and excessive fat gain, here are some suggestions.

Suggested rate of weight gain for an average beginning 170 pound lifter: about 2 pounds per month.
    Smaller people and people who have been lifting longer tend to do better with slower rates of weight gain, say 1 to 2 pounds per month.

Suggested rate of weight loss for an average beginning 200 pound lifter: 1 to 2 pounds per week.
    Smaller, leaner and/or more advanced lifters often do better on slower rates of weight loss, for example 1 or 1.5 pounds per week.

Keep in mind that the above numbers are merely suggestions. What the ideal rate is depends on the individual and his/her preferences.

Macronutrient Intake

Make sure that your diet meets the minimum protein and fat intake.

Protein minimum: 0.7 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).
    (for optimal body building purposes and during energy deficit higher intakes may provide additional benefits.)

Fat minimum: 0.4 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer and/or allows you to perform and feel well. Some people do better on a higher carb intakes while other people do better on moderate or lower carb intakes. It is not necessary to set a specific numbers for each macro, what matters is that the total calories, minimum fat and protein are achieved.

Macro Percentages

Do not use macro percentages (for example 40/40/20). Your body does not care about percentages, it has minimum requirements.

Meal Frequency

General recommendation is to eat 3 to 6 protein containing meals (or shakes/snacks) spread over the day.

Some people get good results on lower meal frequencies but these are probably not optimal for gaining muscle.

Food quality and health

Your diet should contain enough macronutrients, micronutrients and fiber.

General recommendation for fiber:
    Average male: 38 gram per day
    Average female: 25 gram per day

As a general guideline for sugars try to keep added sugars limited to 10% of total calories or less. The sugars that are naturally present in whole fruits, vegetables and dairy do not fall under this rule, you can be much more liberal with those. Reducing added sugar intake to 5% or less may provide additional benefits.

Eating predominantly whole and minimally processed foods is generally a good idea. This doesn't mean that processed foods always have to be avoided. Processed foods can be part of a healthy diet. Focus on getting enough macronutrients, micronutrients and fiber.

A simple guideline for good health is to eat at least 500 grams of vegetables and fruit combined per day. Higher intakes likely provide additional benefits.

In order to get an idea of your micronutrient intake you can occasionally use the website www.cronometer.com. Keep in mind that it's not absolutely necessary to reach 100% of each micronutrient every day. I do not recommend checking your micronutrient intake daily, it’s not necessary.

FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) FritoFace is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is it 0.4 grams of fat per lean pound of bodyweight or just bodyweight?

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by FritoFace View Post
    Well the last thing someone who's not lean needs is too much fat above minimums since its stored as such

Not sure if we had a definitive answer to this one, I'm just thinking out loud here
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FritoFace View Post
    Bodyweight is just that......it also states target weight for the obese.

Fat minimum: 0.4 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).