Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Hi...Trying to put muscle on and "Be Confident"

Hi Guys,

Little bit of a back story on me. I'm late 20's, working professional who has been through all of the weight issues you can think of. As a kid I was definitely "chubby", to finding the gym and putting on a lot of muscle while being in half decent shape, but still had that air of not much definition about me.

Going on then after college the weight came back on while the muscle evaporated while travelling a little. Over the last couple of years, I have had a really unhealthy relationship with food, dropping down to god knows as I did not weigh myself, I would imagine looking at 135lbs or lower.

Since Xmas I have got back into gym work, cleaning my diet up and staying away from bad food that I was so addicted to. Sweets, crisps and especially fizzy drinks were an addition for me and I have cut them completely out of my diet now. Added in some cardio as I wanted to be fitter and be able to actually run for a bit. Now I think after comments in the past of being "too skinny", I want to fill out my "muscle fit" T-Shirts some more and have a nice athletic look about me. Although I have been eating clean and think I have seen some progress over a couple of months, I'm not sure if the weight is going on like it should. Stats are below:

Weight Now: 10st 1lbs 141lbs in morning time (Anything up to 10st 7lbs 147lbs in evening)
    Height 177cm or 5ft 8/9inches
    Goal - I thinnk 150-160lbs would suit me?...

Routine as of now (Work commitments dictate this slightly)
    Monday - 1.2km run warm up - Back/Bi's - 9sets of abs
    Tues - 1.2km run warm up - Chest/Tri's - 9 sets of abs
    Wed - Legs
    Thursday - 1.2km run warm up - Shoulders/Bi's/Tri's - 9 sets of abs
    Fri - Off
    Sat - Home workout of just basic training of some push ups, sit ups, barbell curls, shoulder presses....nothing special just keeping me going
    Sun - Rarely anything

Food on a typical day
    1. 1 and a half scoops of ON Whey with Banana and Oats blended
    2. 4 Eggs, 1 bowl of porridge with a banana and apple
    3. Chicken, Sweet Potato and Veg
    4. Half portion of Carbs, 1 scoop of protein
    5. After workout - 2 scoops of protein with banana and 1tbsp of peanut butter
    6. Steak or other protein with carbs and veggies
    Snacks throughout the day may be rice cakes, fruit and in the evening before bed i seem to be now having a piece of fruit, 2 rice cakes and peanut butter with banana chopped up on top.

I think I need to add in a shake of casein before bed here?

Pics are attached. Need to find a consistent place to take pics..

All help and comments are appreciated. Really want to up my confidence on my body etc.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Time2GrowAgain; 02-26-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time2GrowAgain is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Pics after 6 weeks (4 weeks after the 1st set)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Time2GrowAgain; 02-26-2017 at 03:38 AM.

ANFR94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good progress !! Try to have a rest day between your workouts because just not hitting the gym for 3 days in a row isn't a great idea eventhough you're having your home workout..
    I'd also hit abs only 2 times a week, it's sufficient
    I'm also 177cm but around 200lbs in my final days of bulking so yeah it will suit you as long as you stay lean
    Try to track your calories and go for a lean bulk... Believe me don't be afraid to eat as long as it's quality calories
    Peace

Originally Posted by ANFR94 View Post
    Good progress !! Try to have a rest day between your workouts because just not hitting the gym for 3 days in a row isn't a great idea eventhough you're having your home workout..
    I'd also hit abs only 2 times a week, it's sufficient
    I'm also 177cm but around 200lbs in my final days of bulking so yeah it will suit you as long as you stay lean
    Try to track your calories and go for a lean bulk... Believe me don't be afraid to eat as long as it's quality calories
    Peace
    Thanks for the reply and tips. Keeping my diet clean and bulking up shouldn't be too much of an issue. I am always weary of putting on body fat. If I could get up that required weight with little extra body fat I think I could be happy. Do you see any benefit of cutting anything?

I think I can see some progress but I have looked at myself so much at times i even think i'm going backwards or no progress...

Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is no point in cutting at your current shape. Lean bulk, eat consistently.. and give it time to work.

Originally Posted by Diamhea View Post
    There is no point in cutting at your current shape. Lean bulk, eat consistently.. and give it time to work.
    Thanks for the feedback. How do you think the diet looks if you don't mind me asking? I've bulked in the past, do not want to go down the bulk i did before in which I guess it was more a "dirty" bulk.

Do you guys see progress between the images?

Some images of yesterday so week 7 I guess.

Ideal look is athletic and noticeable that I'm working out..
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Time2GrowAgain; 02-27-2017 at 09:37 AM.

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Time2GrowAgain View Post
    Some images of yesterday so week 7 I guess.

Ideal look is athletic and noticeable that I'm working out..
    Yea man for sure! It's only been 7 weeks and the only thing you need now is time, patience as well as continued consistency. I can def see some progress and good shape starting to come out so give it a year or two and you will def see good results but again the key is just time and consistency and knowing that this is a marathon journey and not an all out sprint.
    The Deadlift is the ultimate fight of you VS the bar.

you can't half rep a deadlift.
    you can't bounce a deadlift.
    you can't arch to get an easier deadlift.
    you won't have a spotter to help the hard part of a deadlift.

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

Thanks guys. I do appreciate honesty as well.

What bf do you think i'm at in the latest set of pics? I don't think I have ever been below 18%. I think my aim for weight will be 1-2lbs per week. Upped my calories this week with a casein shake at night.

Is there a part of the forum where i can create a thread documenting my progress along the way?

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks guys. I do appreciate honesty as well.

What bf do you think i'm at in the latest set of pics? I don't think I have ever been below 18%. I think my aim for weight will be 1-2lbs per week. Upped my calories this week with a casein shake at night.

Is there a part of the forum where i can create a thread documenting my progress along the way?
    I don't know on bf but what I do know is you should not even be worrying about that at the moment. Don't eat like a pig and put on unnecessary fat either but you don't have near enough size to worry about being lean for the time being. Worry about adding meat onto you now and then there will be plenty of time to focus on getting ripped down the road! You are doing well so far though

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

Few more pictures take this evening. Think I can see shape coming in. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images

3 More
    Attached Images

Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke753 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Good progress. Your before pics look similar to where I started. I started at about 130s and am at 140s now. I mostly did calisthenics and made pretty good progress just doing push-ups, pull-ups, dips, etc. almost daily.

Your goal of 150-160 is pretty built considering a height of 5'8. I'm assuming a somewhat low body fat though.

Progress will be pretty slow, but that's why consistently working out will result in big progress. I gain less than 5 lbs. of muscle a year, but, in 10 years, that 30-50 lb. gain, which would be the limit. Now all you have to do is stay at it and be patient.

Originally Posted by Luke753 View Post
    Good progress. Your before pics look similar to where I started. I started at about 130s and am at 140s now. I mostly did calisthenics and made pretty good progress just doing push-ups, pull-ups, dips, etc. almost daily.

Your goal of 150-160 is pretty built considering a height of 5'8. I'm assuming a somewhat low body fat though.

Progress will be pretty slow, but that's why consistently working out will result in big progress. I gain less than 5 lbs. of muscle a year, but, in 10 years, that 30-50 lb. gain, which would be the limit. Now all you have to do is stay at it and be patient.

Thanks Luke. Appreciate all comments and advice. I think there are definite improvements and progress from where I started to the latest pics.

Getting around to the idea it's a slower process than many think. So i'm happy to be putting on muscle slowly but surely, as long as I am able to see the progress so I know i'm not wasting my time, if you get me...

Question if anybody see's the same or knows, in the evening, I may weight anything from 146-150, and then the following morning I could weight anything right down to 141...I know there is a fluctuation in weight between nightime and morning...but possibly 8-9lbs difference? Anybody had this?

Oh...and finally figured how to get images side by side. So image on left is end of week 2, image of the right is tonight which is end of week 7.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Time2GrowAgain; 03-03-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Doing a good job of a lean bulk. Looks to me like you've added size at the same body fat
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50) mystix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your gonna make progress with a program like that but eventually you will stall only hitting your muscles once a week, abs that much also not really needed in my opinion just engage them whenever you do back/chest/legs.
    ---- still lean still slowly bulking. ---

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Taken all on board.

I have eased back ab training to twice a week after training. Also torn back cardio to very basic 1.2-1.5km after training ONCE a week. Weighed in a pound heavier this morning so I think things are going in the right direction.

Did back today, added in deadlifts for the first time in a long time. Very low weight in the 10 rep range concentrating on form. Felt ok.

Question regarding cheat meals, do we think once a week is ok while on a lean bulk? Nothing massive, not a take away or anything like that. But perhaps a portion of chicken wings or a medium size pizza every now again.

azkv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    is there a specific reason for doing abs on almost every workout?

great progress though in such a short time, i wish i could lean bulk like that!

Originally Posted by azkv View Post
    is there a specific reason for doing abs on almost every workout?

great progress though in such a short time, i wish i could lean bulk like that!
    No, just down to a bit of over enthusiasm on my part to work abs. I have cut that back to twice a week now at the recommendation of some of the others.

Thank you, not sure if it's massive progress, although i'm my own worst critic to be honest. My intensity has upped a little now in the gym. Looking to push on another level now.

Week 8 now and only a couple of quick pics after the gym yesterday.

Got to start feeling comfortable and confident in what I am wearing clothes wise on a daily basis too. I'm making progress but need to keep momentum going.

Edit: Couple More
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Time2GrowAgain; 03-12-2017 at 01:55 PM.

HellAlien has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looking good man! You must be working hard. I can see huge improvement for 2 months.

Do monthly or bi-monthly photos though imo. You don't want to risk demotivating yourself when you can't see progress on a weekly basis. I did that with my weight loss and it didn't help. Just an idea.

Originally Posted by HellAlien View Post
    Looking good man! You must be working hard. I can see huge improvement for 2 months.

Do monthly or bi-monthly photos though imo. You don't want to risk demotivating yourself when you can't see progress on a weekly basis. I did that with my weight loss and it didn't help. Just an idea.
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

I do get a little discouraged at times, but need to learn to deal with that along the way.

You are right about the pics, I think every 3-4 weeks will be progress pics for me from now on. I think my arms have gotten bigger and I have filled out reasonably well also.

bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bakerjack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great progress though in such a short time, i wish i could lean bulk like that!

http://www.relationshiptalkforum.com
    Last edited by bakerjack; 03-20-2017 at 04:50 AM.

Thank you.

Had a "mixed weekend" you could say..with it being St Patricks and all. Had a mediocre enough gym session on Friday but at least got it in there, followed by a lot of alcohol Friday evening/night. Food wise was a mixed bag, had a burger which can be put into the cheat meal area I guess but still feel tired from it all.

Got to let it go tomorrow morning now and just jump back in this week and kill it. Seem to have added another pound this week. So weighed in this morning at 145lbs.

Question that might be easy to answer for some, the initial 4/5 weeks I could feel my energy levels rise for sure a little which was nice, but over the last 2-3weeks, at work and at home, I feel a little weighed down, drop in energy throughout the day. I should be good with the amount of sleep, but my diet isn't anything majorly different from the first few weeks. Only difference would probably be an extra scoop or two of protein to my normal shakes throughout the day, and cardio has been cut.

Week 2 vs Week 10 now. Up 6lbs overall I think.
    Attached Images

11 Weeks in now and still going at it. Today was the first day at work that I have actually just worn a tight T-Shirt so my confidence must be up slightly. Eating tonnes at the minute so i'm hoping to keep off body fat.

What are you thinking of my progress so far? Images of this evening attached, and will place a couple of comparison images in the next post from week 2 to now.
    Attached Images

Comparison Images
    Attached Images

w3027913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good work! I feel similar with weight and body fluctuations throughout adulthood. Never been that lean though. I am always concerned when the scale goes up even though that is my goal. Bulking is a struggle. If you have had weight issues. Your doing a great job of it though so congrats

Hey guys, into week 12/13 now and made some good progress. Gone through a phase of constant obsession with looking in the mirror/looking at my stomach to see any progress.

On the other side of things though, i have been finding a lack of energy as of late in my legs more than anything. I wonder what this could be down to? Perhaps something in my diet? Sample day below

1 Protein Shake

Bowl of porridge with Banana and Apple mixed in
    4 Eggs

Apple

Chicken Breast/Sweet Potato/Veg

4-5 Rice Cakes with Banana
    Apple

Pre-Workout
    Half portion of Carbs
    1 scoop of protein

Any ideas?

Taking Fish Oils, Multivitamin and Amino Energy

Post Workout
    Protein Shake
    2-5 Rice Cakes

Steak/Brown Rice/Veg

5 Rice Cakes/Peanut Butter/Honey with Banana
    Apple
    Casein Shake

Hey guys, into week 12/13 now and made some good progress. Gone through a phase of constant obsession with looking in the mirror/looking at my stomach to see any progress.

On the other side of things though, i have been finding a lack of energy as of late in my legs more than anything. I wonder what this could be down to? Perhaps something in my diet? Sample day below

1 Protein Shake

Bowl of porridge with Banana and Apple mixed in
    4 Eggs

Apple

Chicken Breast/Sweet Potato/Veg

4-5 Rice Cakes with Banana
    Apple

Pre-Workout
    Half portion of Carbs
    1 scoop of protein

Any ideas?

Taking Fish Oils, Multivitamin and Amino Energy

Post Workout
    Protein Shake
    2-5 Rice Cakes

Steak/Brown Rice/Veg

5 Rice Cakes/Peanut Butter/Honey with Banana
    Apple
    Casein Shake
    Don't feel bad man we all go through phases of that, except for me it's not just a phase but constant :P. I know the exact feeling with the leg thing you are describing however that usually tends to set on heavily with me during times of dieting/cutting especially deep into it when calories are very low. You are trying to add muscle though and thus eating tons so you should have plenty of energy. Maybe try backing off on some volume on leg day?