carloborg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Update on my diet

Hi guys, so for the past few weeks I have been increasing calories every 3-4days by upping them by 100cals each time. If you remember my other post, I had started with 1,000cals (after starvation period of months on 800cals or less). My calories are now increased to 1,500cals a day at the moment. However strange, I noticed that despite I haven't gained any weight, there is a more visible layer of extra 'skin' which I don't know if it's fat gained or maybe water under the skin due to increasing sodium by incorporating cottage cheese and other stuff into my diet. Should I stay at 1,500 or maybe reduce a bit due to this seemingly layer of fat?

Current stats

Male
    5 ft 9''
    136lbs

Thanks all!

Chasing self-improvement. ShyGuyXS's Avatar
    ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's most likely water bloating, which is very common when increasing calories or when having higher sodium intake and the like.

1,500 is still ridiculously low for you. Keep increasing.
    It's about progress, not perfection.

I'm not an expert when it comes to most aspects of life; sometimes, I have no idea what I'm doing. The more I learn, the more I can do, and the more I can pay it forward and help others.

Originally Posted by ShyGuyXS View Post
    It's most likely water bloating, which is very common when increasing calories or when having higher sodium intake and the like.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to keep increasing till 1,800...which is my TDEE

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by carloborg View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to keep increasing till 1,800...which is my TDEE
    I'm very interested to know why you weigh 136 and why are you starving yourself?

And most importantly, why are you going to stop at your TDEE?
    “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” -Robert Cheeke

Originally Posted by dest0 View Post
    I'm very interested to know why you weigh 136 and why are you starving yourself?

And most importantly, why are you going to stop at your TDEE?
    I'm starving myself at 1,500cals? lol I know it's low but I'm eating quite 'enough'...I'm not actually looking to put on more than 3-4lbs...just want to get to a healthy weight for now given that I had starved myself at 800cals for over 6 months! Plus I diddnt want to increase intake to 1,800 at one go so bodyfat increase is kept low!

dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need to up your intake. I was lighter than you and doing the same thing you are now trust me it's an unhealthy way to eat.
    up to at least 2300 you won't magically gain pounds of fat overnight.
    If you're lifting you'll feel much better when training and make gains .
    good luck

ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Plus I diddnt want to increase intake to 1,800 at one go so bodyfat increase is kept low!
    I believe it was also mentioned in the last thread that going to 1,800 right away would not result in a significant increase in body fat - it's still below your maintenance unless you're virtually completely sedentary.

1500 is still below your BMR, so it's not really "quite enough" yet. It's still an unhealthy level of food intake for your body.

I'm honestly starting to suspect some disordered thoughts and rationale around food and your weight. Are you working with professionals at the moment?

I'm not an expert when it comes to most aspects of life; sometimes, I have no idea what I'm doing. The more I learn, the more I can do, and the more I can pay it forward and help others.

I believe it was also mentioned in the last thread that going to 1,800 right away would not result in a significant increase in body fat - it's still below your maintenance unless you're virtually completely sedentary.

1500 is still below your BMR, so it's not really "quite enough" yet. It's still an unhealthy level of food intake for your body.

I'm honestly starting to suspect some disordered thoughts and rationale around food and your weight. Are you working with professionals at the moment?

At the moment yes, I am still working with professionals but nutrition-wise i was told to just eat more food to reach my 'maintenance' calorie level

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

^This.

You see, everyone is giving you advice, yet still you refuse to listen.

if you want to be healthy and gain muscle, up your intake. I have no idea why you were at 800cals in the first place, or a 1500 for that matter!!

Eat more.
    “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” -Robert Cheeke

Originally Posted by dest0 View Post
    ^This.

You see, everyone is giving you advice, yet still you refuse to listen.

if you want to be healthy and gain muscle, up your intake. I have no idea why you were at 800cals in the first place, or a 1500 for that matter!!

Eat more.
    Increased to 1,800 from 1,500. According to stickies, my TDEE is 1,800...is it roughly a good estimate for my height and weight?

Increased to 1,800 from 1,500. According to stickies, my TDEE is 1,800...is it roughly a good estimate for my height and weight?
    I did some estimates using one of the formulas in the CC&M sticky and an estimated BF% of ~13% (this is a rough guess; your BF may be a little bit higher or lower):

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate for those who are relatively lean. Use if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Calcs:

136 / 2.2 ~ 61.8 kg * (1.00-0.13) = 61.8 * 0.87 ~ 53.8 kg LBM
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 53.8)
    BMR = 370 + 1162 (rounded)
    BMR = ~1532
    Based on that BMR estimate, your activity would have to be pretty low to have a TDEE of 1800, so 1800 is still likely on the low side. The best way to figure that out, though, is by monitoring your weight trend over time. As mentioned before, you may very well see the scale go up 1-2 pounds due to water weight shifts (from increased food intake). After that, you will start to get a more reliable indicator of the actual weight trend.

I did some estimates using one of the formulas in the CC&M sticky and an estimated BF% of ~13% (this is a rough guess; your BF may be a little bit higher or lower):

Based on that BMR estimate, your activity would have to be pretty low to have a TDEE of 1800, so 1800 is still likely on the low side. The best way to figure that out, though, is by monitoring your weight trend over time. As mentioned before, you may very well see the scale go up 1-2 pounds due to water weight shifts (from increased food intake). After that, you will start to get a more reliable indicator of the actual weight trend.
    Thanks for your time! Activity factor was calculated at 1.2 since I'm currently sedentary (not much energy to lift weights) and bodyfat I guesstimate is around 10%...so 1,800 might be a good starting point in my opinion. Thanks again!

jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for your time! Activity factor was calculated at 1.2 since I'm currently sedentary (not much energy to lift weights) and bodyfat I guesstimate is around 10%...so 1,800 might be a good starting point in my opinion. Thanks again!
    You think there might be a reason for that?
    We're all gonna make it.

Originally Posted by jonnicola View Post
    You think there might be a reason for that?
    Yes, low calorie intake...I'm trying to work on it though!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's really not that complicated, you need to monitor your calorie intake and increase it slowly over time - just use trial and error. Set a target of gaining about 2-3lbs a month. Get on a novice whole body weight training routine and aim to gain strength consistently over time.

Don't jump at shadows - and sudden changes in weight or skin appearance are ALWAYS related to hydration or glycogen levels. Fat and muscle mass do not change suddenly.

loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"

-Jón Páll Sigmarsson

clairelv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clairelv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clairelv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clairelv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clairelv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

yes . agree with you and admire you