LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Sex, Weights and Protein Shakes - Journey to be a giant (starting strength log)

Well here we go, I have at last begun my journey in the world of bodybuilding. I've had numerous times where I have begun to lift and try eating to gain and all but I have always started and stopped shortly after from lack of motivation and dedication. This time will be different however, this time I shall not waiver. I'm doing this for me and to do and accomplish what I want. It is going to be long and hard but many others have done it so why should I be any different?

Hopefully keeping this log will allow me to gain motivation on my down days from any of you who choose to follow and comment. And also between this and my journal to give me ways to look back and see where I started and where I am at and where I'm still trying to go.

As you can see in the title I am beginning with Starting Strength. Just for the fact that it is a simple a fast paced program to help me build a foundation on which to work with of both strength and mass. I am however doing the version for those that are geared towards aesthetics later on where I will be doing Pendlay Rows instead of power cleans.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope some of you will comment and follow.

LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Starting Strength, workout A, day 1, 26MAY14

So I hit the gym today for my first day of starting strength, well technically second as about a week ago I went on 2 separate days to establish what weights I'd start at while I was still debating on what program I wanted to do.

Anyway before going to the gym I took down my starting info and measurements..

STATS:

HT-5'6"
    WT-136.4 lbs
    Est BF %-16%

Measurements:

Shoulders-42"
    Chest-34"
    Arms- left-11.5" right-11.5"
    Forearms- left-10" right-10"
    Waist-30"
    Legs- left-20" right-20.5"
    Calves- left-13" right-13.5"

I will be tracking my weight and estimated bf% weekly and taking measurements/photos monthly.

And now here is todays workout..

-Warmup
    5 minutes on the treadmill at 4mph to get my blood moving
    I followed this up with some stretching and some jumping jacks/jogging in place

Then came the meat and potatoes, hitting the weights!

First up...
    Back Squat
    -warmup-45lbsx5
    65lbsx3
    85lbsx1
    -work sets- 3x5 @ 95lbs
    All across the sets were easy though I still felt it after each set and after I was done squatting due to the fact that I made sure to keep each set and each rep on both parts of the movement slow and controlled.

Next we have...
    Flat Bench Press
    -warmup-45lbsx5
    65lbsx3
    -work sets-3x5 @ 75lbs
    Again all sets were easy and I kept my reps controlled and slow/smooth through out the movement. No bounce off the chest and was stillgetting a little shaky from the weight even though its light from controlling it.

Finally we have...
    Pendlay Rows
    -warmup-45lbsx5
    65lbsx3
    -work sets-3x5 @ 75lbs
    Felt good here too and kept it smooth and controlled just like the rest. I also did these standing on a platform so I could get a longer ROM and full stretch in my back with the weight at a dead hang/stop.

After the lifting I opted for some cardio and hit a mile on the treadmill in 7:22 starting at 7mph and upping it 1mph after each quarter mile. Then cooled down setting it to 3mph and walking until my breathing evened out.

Anyway here was my first day. There are may more to come and right now I am looking forward to each one and where each day takes me..

Starting Strength, workout B, Day 2, 28MAY14

Hit the gym this morning for my second day of SS. Gym was pretty empty but still had to wait a bit for a squat rack so that was annoying but still had a good day..

anyway the workout..

Warmed up walking on the treadmill for a few minutes followed by some stretching.

Then after a bit of waiting grabbed a rack to get started..

BB Back Squats
    -warmup-45lbsx5/65lbsx3-85lbsx2/95lbsx1
    -work sets-3x5 @ 105lbs
    Felt good here again. Kept it all slow and controlled and paused for a second at the bottom of each rep on my warmups and first 2 sets. last set I still kept smooth but didn't do the pause. again really felt it working.

Standing Shoulder Press
    -warmup-45lbsx5
    -work sets-3x5 @ 65lbs
    Felt good. applied the same smooth control ive been using here too. made sure to keep it strict too and not slip into doing push presses.

Conventional Deadlift
    -work set-1x5 @ 135lbs
    controlled both parts of the lift here too and focused on my form. was easy throughout and I did a 30 second static hold at the top of the 5th rep for grip work so I can get away with no straps longer.

Felt I had another good solid day. looking forward to Friday for my 3rd workout. now just need to put some more work on my nutrition and making sure I eat good and enough!

Starting Strength, workout A, day 3, 30MAY14

Late post from my workout Friday!
    was tired after work all day but still made myself get to the gym and get it done.

Started out with my usual warmup, hitting the treadmill for a few mins to get moving followed by some stretching.

Then got into my squatting. I had also just the day before found and got the SS warmup sets app on my phone so I used that today and did more warmups then I have been.

-BB Back Squat
    -warmups-2x5 @ 45lbs - 1x5 @ 65lbs - 1x3 @ 85lbs - 1x2 @ 95lbs - 1x1 @ 105lbs
    -work sets-3x5 @ 115lbs
    I felt good on the squats again. was a little thrown off with more warm up sets and doing pause reps on all the warm ups may have been a bit much but still nailed it. on Monday I think ill try keeping warmups smooth and only use pauses on work sets?

-Flat BB Bench Press
    - warmups-2x5 @ 45lbs - 1x5 @ 55lbs - 1x3 @ 65lbs - 1x2 @ 70lbs - 1x1 @ 75lbs
    -work sets-3x5 @ 80lbs
    again no issues here. smooth and easy

-Pendlay Row
    -warmups-2x5 @ 45lbs - 1x5 @ 55lbs - 1x3 @ 65lbs - 1x2 @ 70lbs - 1x1 @ 75lbs
    -work sets-3x5 @ 80lbs
    obviously the app doesn't have rows on it so I followed the same warm up sets as bench press since im at the same weight. these also felt good again today.

Anyway I had a good first week and im enjoying seeing the numbers slowly climb.

harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) harryboyo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Glad to see someone else doing SS. To do this right you'll need to be eating a **** load. Are you doing GOMAD?
    Starting Strength Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160100631&page=1

Race to 3x5x70kg press with GinjaNinja85