jasonknights has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Accuracy of Heart Rate Monitor for Calorie Burn

I'm a complete noob to working out so I bought I heart rate monitor because I figured it would cut out a lot of the calculations and estimates I'd otherwise have to make and leave a lot of room for error (lolmath). Specifically, I bought the Zephyr Heart Rate Monitor for Android. I'm unsure of its accuracy though. I use the sportstracklive app on my phone to pair it with and the log from my most recent work out (leg day: quads, hamstrings, calves, cardio) read as follows:

Duration: 1h 44m 22s (I kept it on on my way to and from the gym in my car, which is about 20 minutes roundtrip)
    Ave Heart Rate: 155 BPM
    Max Heart Rate: 190 BPM
    Distance: 3.1 mil
    Calorie burned: 1265

That calorie count seems extremely high to me. I do do high intensity workouts both in my weight lifting (high weight, low rep, 30 second rest) and cardio (interval training for ~25 minutes, 1:30 minutes walking, 1:00/0:45 fast jog/sprinting alternating), but almost 1300 calories just seems like a ridiculous amount to me. Is my heart monitor just not accurate or am I underestimating calorie burn from exercising?

If it matters, I'm male, 5'6, 19 years old, 128 pounds, 15% BF (I think...). I lead an otherwise sedentary life outside of the gym - I'm a student and don't play sports. I do have a slightly higher heart rate, tachycardia runs in the family, but I researched it and apparently that shouldn't have a huge effect on my burn reading.

Thanks.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Calorie's burned is not an accurate measurement. Not unless you factor so many things into play (body weight, age, body fat %, muscle composition, etc). Where it serves a purpose is to show you work capacity differences. If you burn 1265 in one workout and 1500 the next workout, that is an indication of your workout being more effective. This is how I gauge my workouts on things like stationary bikes, treadmills, or ellipticals. It's not what it's advertised, but it's not without some use either.

runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50) runnermama will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jasonknights View Post
    I'm a complete noob to working out so I bought I heart rate monitor because I figured it would cut out a lot of the calculations and estimates I'd otherwise have to make and leave a lot of room for error (lolmath). Specifically, I bought the Zephyr Heart Rate Monitor for Android. I'm unsure of its accuracy though. I use the sportstracklive app on my phone to pair it with and the log from my most recent work out (leg day: quads, hamstrings, calves, cardio) read as follows:

Duration: 1h 44m 22s (I kept it on on my way to and from the gym in my car, which is about 20 minutes roundtrip)

That calorie count seems extremely high to me. I do do high intensity workouts both in my weight lifting (high weight, low rep, 30 second rest) and cardio (interval training for ~25 minutes, 1:30 minutes walking, 1:00/0:45 fast jog/sprinting alternating), but almost 1300 calories just seems like a ridiculous amount to me. Is my heart monitor just not accurate or am I underestimating calorie burn from exercising?

If it matters, I'm male, 5'6, 19 years old, 128 pounds, 15% BF (I think...). I lead an otherwise sedentary life outside of the gym - I'm a student and don't play sports. I do have a slightly higher heart rate, tachycardia runs in the family, but I researched it and apparently that shouldn't have a huge effect on my burn reading.

Thanks.
    I have used a polar heart rate monitor for years. As far as running goes, the average person burns approximately 100 cals a mile. Even if you were racing that 5K, I doubt you would burn more than 350-400 cals. The HR monitor factors in your age, weight, gender, etc.

To add more context, I am a 145 lb female, 5'9, and will run a 1.5 mile warm up easy, then HIIT work for a total of 3.5 miles. Then lift heavy with a few supersets, total workout being around 1:15 and I will burn around 700-800 calories. The last time I burned the number of calories your output is giving you, I ran a half marathon

Polar HR monitors are fairly inexpensive. I have had to replace the strap a couple of times as well as the battery in the receiver, but I have kept the same watch for about 5 years, so it is a good investment if you are serious about tracking HR patterns and cals.
    Team Rousey

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jasonknights View Post

Thanks.
    What is your training goal?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you saying you had it measuring calories during your drive to and from the gym? So if this watch uses GPS to track distance you are running it took into account you driving at 30-60 mph to the gym?