Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jburgeson512 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think the R3 is probably the best rack you're going to get for the money. I wrote an article that compared a ton of racks side by side and there isn't much in the way of quality for under $600 anymore. Even a good half rack costs over $600. Yeah the Rogue racks should to be anchored, but it's really easy to do. Takes like 20 minutes and it isn't permanent. The anchors come right back out in a matter of seconds if you need to uproot the thing for any reason.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jburgeson512 View Post
    I think the R3 is probably the best rack you're going to get for the money. I wrote an article that compared a ton of racks side by side and there isn't much in the way of quality for under $600 anymore. Even a good half rack costs over $600. Yeah the Rogue racks should to be anchored, but it's really easy to do. Takes like 20 minutes and it isn't permanent. The anchors come right back out in a matter of seconds if you need to uproot the thing for any reason.
    I strongly disagree. Probably the best value of any rack in the industry at that price point is in your home state. This is the Promaxima Texas Power rack. For you, the rack would come in at just over $600, with plate storage. Seems the only deterrant for the OP is the high shipping to residential addresses. I paid $800 shipped, with an extra set of multi bar hooks.

http://www.promaxima.com/power-rack-...e-storage.html
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=151813633

The best value for the OP would be from Black Widow. He will build him a rack to match his price point, and it will be better than Powertec or Rogue for the money.

dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Paulie G. OP here... Now we're talking. That is an amazing looking cage. Hope you don't mind, but I will be shooting you a PM.

As for the Black Widow, I left a voice mail yesterday and also sent an email to Dean. Have not heard back on either account. The appeal there would be of course I could drive out there and load it up in my pickup truck. But I have to inquire about this cage of yours. I hope their prices haven't gone up much in a year. But the weight storage alone is worth the extra coin! I haven't seen anything that reasonable with weight storage.
    Last edited by dieselmike; 02-27-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dieselmike View Post
    Paulie G. OP here... Now we're talking. That is an amazing looking cage. Hope you don't mind, but I will be shooting you a PM.

As for the Black Widow, I left a voice mail yesterday and also sent an email to Dean. Have not heard back on either account. The appeal there would be of course I could drive out there and load it up in my pickup truck. But I have to inquire about this cage of yours. I hope their prices haven't gone up much in a year. But the weight storage alone is worth the extra coin! I haven't seen anything that reasonable with weight storage.
    I have contact info for Promaxima, if you want to get a quote. If shipping doesn't kill you, then it is a awesome deal. If you have a commercial address to send it to, the shipping is cheaper. I've had the rack for over a year. I love it, and feel there was/is no better decision for the price. The only thing I would change about the rack is the J-hooks and hole spacing.

Dean''s bars are awesome. I have one of his football bars and safety squat bars. I have to think that the same craftmanship goes into his racks. In fact, I'm looking at getting a second rack for a personal training studio, and may have him build it. The one thing is that he is a small builder, and you will have to be patient while he builds.

If I were you, I'd check Promaxima first, and if the shipping is too high, the go with Dean. He will work with your budget, and give you a great quality rack.

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I bet you anything Promaxima wants between $400-600 for shipping. I got a quote on the lat pull for $450 and $475 for shipping. They suck ass.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Paulie G. Your cage (the Promaxima) seems very roomy inside. I like the wide floor base. And the depth seems great. That is my one concern with the Rogue R-3. the depth between the uprights is only 24 1/2 " seems like a tight area to squat in. I know the reviews are outstanding and guys point out that there is plenty of room (guys bigger than me). I set up some 2x4's standing on end to simulate the space and it seemed tight. It is very tough to make that commitment without actually standing inside of it. And the R-4 is getting too far out of my price range. So not an option.

Paul. any chance you can post the inside dimensions of your cage? I think it would be helpful to those of us considering as an option. All these companies love to post the "footprint" dimensions, so guys know if it will fit in their space. But I want to know the inside dimensions for comfort.

Originally Posted by Northernmoris View Post
    I bet you anything Promaxima wants between $400-600 for shipping. I got a quote on the lat pull for $450 and $475 for shipping. They suck ass.
    Wow. I had a Ford F-250 shipped to NJ from Houston that cost me $650. We shall see. I called and awaiting a quote from them.

I just checked my freight charge for my rack, one year ago. They charged me $215 from TX to TN. That was to a commercial address. Did you get a quote for residential? My total was $873, which included custom height adjustment fee of $50, and $75 for an extra set of bar hooks.

To the OP. If I have a minute this evening, I'll get some measurements for you..

Last edited by Paulie_G; 02-27-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Geesh. Get that invoice off the internet for the world to see! Appreciate the update, but careful what you share with the world. I forgot about commercial address being cheaper. I gave them my home. I will have to call back and request shipment to a friend's biz to get a better quote. Good point.

Geesh. Get that invoice off the internet for the world to see! Appreciate the update, but careful what you share with the world. I forgot about commercial address being cheaper. I gave them my home. I will have to call back and request shipment to a friend's biz to get a better quote. Good point.
    LOL. I had a revised version, and posted the wrong one. Corrected. Yeah, probably $100 between b/t biz and home. Wouldn't hurt if you mentioned that you will most likely be buying more equipment from them.

did you need to buy the extra hooks for $75? Or do they come with one set at least?

did you need to buy the extra hooks for $75? Or do they come with one set at least?
    They come with a set. I wanted the extra set.

One last question about the ProMaxima as I am getting really close to making a final decision and get this ordered. Any concern with the real fat holes? I'm thinking there is not enough spacing options in the bench zone. Those safeties need to be at a pretty precise height in order to get full range of motion on the bench and still be able to catch the bar on a failed rep. Any issues with yours on this?

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm in NJ as well. What's the shipping quote. If you didn't get one yet, just wait. .....

One last question about the ProMaxima as I am getting really close to making a final decision and get this ordered. Any concern with the real fat holes? I'm thinking there is not enough spacing options in the bench zone. Those safeties need to be at a pretty precise height in order to get full range of motion on the bench and still be able to catch the bar on a failed rep. Any issues with yours on this?

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm in NJ as well. just wait. .....

Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    I'm telling you. Read the reviews. Shipping rates to the east coast is ridiculous. The response time to quotes is usually less than stellar. And I have never been able to get them on the phone. Other people may have a different experience but I have written them off.

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm telling you. Read the reviews. Shipping rates to the east coast is ridiculous. The response time to quotes is usually less than stellar. And I have never been able to get them on the phone. Other people may have a different experience but I have written them off.
    My bad........I was thinking something totally different......carry on.

xaeroR35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xaeroR35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xaeroR35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Interesting thread. I too was in the market for Powertec per all of the recommendations on this site (go figure huh?), and was becoming frustrated with their eternal "out of stock" status.

Rogue seems pretty sweet, but I am renting so I cant bolt anything down.

Promaxima is looking nice especially since I am in Houston. I don't have a truck or know anyone that does unfortunately (just moved here). The hole spacing looks rediculous though, how is adjust-ability for bench press? What about lat and dip attachments?

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xaeroR35 View Post
    Interesting thread. I too was in the market for Powertec per all of the recommendations on this site (go figure huh?), and was becoming frustrated with their eternal "out of stock" status.

Rogue seems pretty sweet, but I am renting so I cant bolt anything down.

Promaxima is looking nice especially since I am in Houston. I don't have a truck or know anyone that does unfortunately (just moved here). The hole spacing looks rediculous though, how is adjust-ability for bench press? What about lat and dip attachments?
    Ptec was good when they were cheap so lots of people liked them. Its all about price.

If you dont have a truck you could look on CraigsList there are tons of guys with a truck who will meet you at destination, pickup and drive the item back with you.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    My bad........I was thinking something totally different......carry on.
    No worries.

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

When I started this thread a few days ago, I never thought I would get so many responses and good advice. It started out as asking about the indefinite back order status of the Powertec and my "under $600" budget. Now a few days later, thanks to the advice from Keetman and others, I seriously started considering a higher quality rack.

Then PaulieG steered me in the direction of his ProMaxima. And another member here introduced me to Black Widow Training gear.

I am awaiting shipping quotes from ProMaxima & a custom build from BWTG (I asked him for something very similar to ProMaxima). Thinking the custom build is going to come in too high, I am probably going to go with ProMaxima. If Dean at Black Widow can make me a "ProMaxima knockoff" with more acceptable hole spacing and come in at same price point, I will go with him.

note to Keetman: You really got me going on these higher end racks. I seriously considered Rogue. But anything higher than an R-3 is going to throw me over $1000. I have to draw a line somewhere. LOL. The R-3 to me seems a little tight inside. 24" from front to rear measured on the inside of uprights. The one great advantage of that rack is the Westside hole spacing but I guess I'll have to do without.

I just want to get something ordered already as I know either way I will be waiting about a month to get it.

xaeroR35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xaeroR35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xaeroR35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I started this thread a few days ago, I never thought I would get so many responses and good advice. It started out as asking about the indefinite back order status of the Powertec and my "under $600" budget. Now a few days later, thanks to the advice from Keetman and others, I seriously started considering a higher quality rack.

Then PaulieG steered me in the direction of his ProMaxima. And another member here introduced me to Black Widow Training gear.

I am awaiting shipping quotes from ProMaxima & a custom build from BWTG (I asked him for something very similar to ProMaxima). Thinking the custom build is going to come in too high, I am probably going to go with ProMaxima. If Dean at Black Widow can make me a "ProMaxima knockoff" with more acceptable hole spacing and come in at same price point, I will go with him.

note to Keetman: You really got me going on these higher end racks. I seriously considered Rogue. But anything higher than an R-3 is going to throw me over $1000. I have to draw a line somewhere. LOL. The R-3 to me seems a little tight inside. 24" from front to rear measured on the inside of uprights. The one great advantage of that rack is the Westside hole spacing but I guess I'll have to do without.

I just want to get something ordered already as I know either way I will be waiting about a month to get it.
    Please updated with Black Widow's response. Let them know there is another person interested.

I'm not trying to bust your bubble or being you down. I'm being realistic here. There's nothing better than getting a new rack but the proof is out there.

I can't even tell you how posts between bb.com and crossfit forums have people comparing about Promaxima not responding to the asking for a quote.

Originally Posted by Huck43 View Post
    (2/15/13)Well I called promaxima about what they had to offer and pricing isn't much lower than the darkhorse at over $900 shipped for the fw163. However, they had some special going on the PL340 for like $1275 after tax/shipping which seems like a decent deal though it is a half rack (wouldn't really mind it that much though).

Dark horse is looking to be the only real option left.

Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    Coincidentally, I called Promaxima yesterday (since they never replied to my online quote request). The sales rep wasn't particularly interested in talking to someone who wasn't going to buy a whole circuit of Promaxima equipment. The bench is $299 before shipping. He guessed it would cost $175 to ship by freight but he apparently didn't want to bother wasting his time to check the actual cost of freight shipping. He said the cost of freight would be too expensive for just a single item. He also didn't want to waste his time to check the height of the bench in the flat position. He said that he "doesn't have all the specifications memorized".
    Originally Posted by grumpytude View Post
    (Hes in Massachusetts) that is pretty sweet looking, weird how you only paid a couple hundred for shipping and that is a more expensive item for sure. The hyper I was looking at was only $295- but the shipping was quoted close to $350! I couldn't justify it.
    Spoke will Billy at Promaxima. He said base price is $539. Shipping to NJ could be between $300-600. Then add taxes. He's calling me back.
    Last edited by Northernmoris; 02-28-2014 at 01:09 PM.

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Diesel... you're welcome. I'm sorry you are having to bust your budget a little...but I guarantee you this...as long as you do your research and ask questions...you will not be sorry about the extra money in a few years. The cost will long be forgotten and you will have a much better piece of equipment.

I am not familiar with the issues with promaxima personally, but obviously they exist. It seems some have had success too....so who knows? I guess I would try at least and see where it goes. I would also work on the Black Widow option. They'll likely be more responsive and in the ball park on price. Also....don't disregard the hole spacing feature. Wide hole spacing like on the promaxima can become an issue with benching. It can be worked around...but its easier to do so with tighter hole spacing. The spacing comes into play with the safeties, not the hooks for the bar. There is a small window where the safeties should be set so the bar can't reach your neck and face...but still allows you to get full range of motion....tighter hole spacing makes it easier to find this "sweet spot".

Also, I think it is important that I do make a distinction for anyone that may be reading or lurking....Diesel had a budget of in the neighborhood of $600. Not everyone has that kind of discretionary budget for a cage...I understand this. I am just guessing that if someone can throw $600 at a cage...they can wait a few months and increase that budget to $900 or $1000 or they probably shouldn't be doing this.

If someone really wants a cage and has a really tight budget....I definitely suggest craigslist or the powerline cage.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Keetman. Perfectly said and summarized my position perfectly. I think I have enough knowledge now and will post back on what I decide. I just got off phone with both Dean at BWTG and then with a rep at ProMaxima. Both were pleasant conversations and either way is doable for me.

Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Powertec, please make a rack with a straight chin up bar, or move your existing chin up handles closer together.

grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    same here- I looked into buying some equipment from them a few years back before I went with Legend instead and the shipping rates to massachusetts were out of this world.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Terpgym View Post
    Powertec, please make a rack with a straight chin up bar, or move your existing chin up handles closer together.

What difference would it make, really? They appear to be on perpetual backorder everywhere.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

The hole spacing could be better. With the multi hook design, the hole spacing appears to be 2", which is fine for me. I've had 2 workout partners since buying this rack, and no one has ever complained about safety height etc. Probably because it's a fairly minor inconvenience compared to the quality and overall features of the rack at this price point.

Keetman. Perfectly said and summarized my position perfectly. I think I have enough knowledge now and will post back on what I decide. I just got off phone with both Dean at BWTG and then with a rep at ProMaxima. Both were pleasant conversations and either way is doable for me.
    Any updates?

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~