Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000)

Time for me to get the body I deserve

After a weekend of "letting it all hangout" so to speak I have decided to get back on track with my cut. Ill be using Keto, lifting a four day split, and trying to add MISS cardio 3 days a week.

I will be cutting at 1500 calories. Friday morning when I stepped on the scale I weight 139lbs..which I hate lol I'm 5' 3" and have always felt like a box with legs in the sense that I'm short and stocky. I will try to keep this updated and will plan on weighing in every Friday. Will decide as i go about refeeds.

My goal weight is 125lbs..I was down to 126 when I was training for my traithlon but have since put that all back on.

sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Non-Workout Day: 1443
    Workout Day: 1713

Assuming you have a sedentary lifestyle outside of workouts, I wouldn't consume less than the above.

ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000) ccmarks is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sambshep View Post
    Non-Workout Day: 1443
    Workout Day: 1713

Assuming you have a sedentary lifestyle outside of workouts, I wouldn't consume less than the above.
    Are those numbers taking the deficit into account? I have always had to eat around 1500 on a cut...it just seems like the scale won't budge otherwise. I'm not sedentary..I'm a stay at home mom 4 days a week (lol) and a physical therapist assistant 3 days a week.

So back on track today. we drove 5.5 hours back from our camp so I sat on my rear most of the day. Got settled in then worked out which consisted of my chest day:

Bench: German volume training: 95lbs 4x10, 1x9 then backed down to 85lbs for 5x10..I work out at home and didn't have the plates to make 90lbs.
    Incline dumbbell press: 40lbs 3x10
    Incline hammer press: 40lbs 3x10
    Decline flyes: 20lbs 1x20, 2lbs 1x10.
    Need to up to weight on the flyes but my husband was working out too and had my plates in use.
    Then got on the treadmill for 30 minutes of LISS/MISS.

Macros for the day:
    Fat:91
    Carbs: 31-13=18net
    Protein:86
    Total calories:1,439

sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ccmarks View Post
    Are those numbers taking the deficit into account? I have always had to eat around 1500 on a cut...it just seems like the scale won't budge otherwise. I'm not sedentary..I'm a stay at home mom 4 days a week (lol) and a physical therapist assistant 3 days a week.
    BMR = 1336
    x1.2 = 1603 (assumes sedentary activity level outside of workouts)
    Workout = 300 (assumes 60 minutes of weight lifting at moderate intensity)

TDEE on Workout Day = 1903
    -10% = 1713

TDEE on Non-Workout Day = 1603
    -10% = 1443

Note that the above calculations are assuming you're sedentary outside of your workouts, so there is no reason to be consuming any less than the above.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-or-large.html

I prefer a larger deficit. After reading Lyle McDonald's article (above) he feels a moderate deficit will be easier to comply with because you see the rewards of it faster. On Keto I can manage easily without poor performance. When I was training for my triathlon I was eating 1600 calories a day, losing weight, and never suffered in performance. Once I resumed eating at what should have been maintance I began to gain again. I'm thinking my maintance may be lower the most estimations.

As a side note I'm sitting in a continuing education class listening to a physical therapist/certified diabetes educator discuss how anything that isn't fat or protein is a carb and how most diabetics don't understand nutrition. How many of her diabetic patients feel eating fruit on a regular basis is still good for them..cause well..it's fruit lol
    Last edited by ccmarks; 10-21-2013 at 06:39 AM.

sleep- work- lift- bacon resilience5241's Avatar
    resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-or-large.html

I prefer a larger deficit. After reading Lyle McDonald's article (above) he feels a moderate deficit will be easier to comply with because you see the rewards of it faster. On Keto I can manage easily without poor performance. When I was training for my triathlon I was eating 1600 calories a day, losing weight, and never suffered in performance. Once I resumed eating at what should have been maintance I began to gain again. I'm thinking my maintance may be lower the most estimations.
    I actually agree with you here. I start with a deficit of 300 and occasionally work my way to 500 depending on the circumstances of my cut.

Also, so glad you decided to log! Subscribed
    If it is important to you, you will find a way.
    If it's not, you will find an excuse.

STRONGMAN TRAINING/KETO LOG:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158537933

IG: willflex4cookies

A 10-20% deficit is perfectly fine, I simply wanted to point out that your starting caloric intake is in all likelihood too low for someone with your stats.

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    A 10-20% deficit is perfectly fine, I simply wanted to point out that your starting caloric intake is in all likelihood too low for someone with your stats.
    I think she'll be fine. On a normal diet one might run into issues but since ketosis down regulates glucose needs and puts you in a fat burning mode I think she can push it more.

If your performance starts to lack, don't carb up, instead, eat more. You may not be consuming enough for your life style. Your metabolism might take a hit but I know you know that because he discusses that in that article.

I'm so glad you read that article though, CC. His articles have peaked my interest. If I have to get more aggressive with my diet I plan on either creating a larger deficit through activity or by restricting my intake even more. At that point though I'd say you should have some days where you at least at maintenance or maybe even 500 over. All that matters is at the end of the week, you are in a deficit. One day wont ruin it all.

and subbed.
    "I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be." -Ken Venturi

Thank you guys for all the info. I try to stay strict to the macros I set but I know I will be over some days..like today I made a salad at a salad bar and basically had to eyeball everything. As for carb ups I'm going to try to avoid them or if I do one for the sake of sanity ill make it a 24 hour one..I find that is normally plenty of time for me to want to go back into Keto..my body really hates carbs..I just wish my brain did as well lol

Today my macros (as close as I can figure):
    Fat: 88 I know it's I low
    Protein:139 (just a guess on how much chicken was in my salad)
    Carbs: 27-8fiber=19net
    Calories:1,444

I wasn't planning on being that low in calories but its almost 10:00 and I'm not sure I want to eat anything this late.

My husband takes karate and MMA so I worked the heavy bag on and off for an hour. Tomorrow is back day and I'm excited am i the only person who loves to deadlift? Lol

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tomorrow is back day and I'm excited am i the only person who loves to deadlift? Lol
    I know Rex does!! I would but I'm scared at the moment.
    "I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be." -Ken Venturi

Originally Posted by xJellyBirdx View Post
    I know Rex does!! I would but I'm scared at the moment.
    Don't know Rex..is there a reason your scared?
    I guess I just love it because its my strongest area..I do sumo style and just set my PR at 225lb 1RM..hey I'm a girl and that makes me happy lol

I guess I just love it because its my strongest area..I do sumo style and just set my PR at 225lb 1RM..hey I'm a girl and that makes me happy lol
    I tore the groin and hip flexor muscles in my right leg doing a sumo style deadlift at a powerlifting meet in high school about 8 years ago. I only just recently started doing them again and needless to say I don't do them with a sumo stance.

2 Reasons. A) I wont squat or DL without a belt. B) I'm scared to wreck my back and want to learn proper form from someone I trust.

I tore the groin and hip flexor muscles in my right leg doing a sumo style deadlift at a powerlifting meet in high school about 8 years ago. I only just recently started doing them again and needless to say I don't do them with a sumo stance.
    Dude, I'm hurting just reading about your accident! lol

Originally Posted by xJellyBirdx View Post
    Dude, I'm hurting just reading about your accident! lol
    You should've heard the noises coming out of the muscle when it tore, it definitely added to the experience

resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am Rex That is an AWESOME PR! Good for you! I started pulling 225 earlier this year and was steadily increasing up until I started my cut. Now I usually max out around 265, but stick to 225-245 for my working sets.

I've never done a sumo DL. I got in the position one time to pull and I could feel a huge amount of discomfort in my hip flexors. I thought it was weird because I do sumo squats every once in awhile and have never felt that before. I decided not to pull it and just went standard...glad I did!!

For some reason it just feels natural to me, I think it's because more glute is involved lol
    I understand the issue about form. My father had been lifting weights and competing in powerlifting since I can remember and he is 62 now and still lifts so he checks form for me when I ask. He held world records in powerlifting at one time through the AAU and I think he still holds two American records at this time.

Originally Posted by resilience5241 View Post
    I've never done a sumo DL. I got in the position one time to pull and I could feel a huge amount of discomfort in my hip flexors. I thought it was weird because I do sumo squats every once in awhile and have never felt that before. I decided not to pull it and just went standard...glad I did!!
    Yeah, the tension on your muscles are quite different between a wide stance squat and a sumo deadlift.

For some reason it just feels natural to me, I think it's because more glute is involved lol
    Sumo stance deadlifts use less of your back though, more of the tension is on the quadriceps and hips.

I guess your right, maybe that's why I like it more..working as a physical therapist assistant in a hospital setting we are drilled on moving weight with out legs.

So my workout went fabulous and is as follows:
    Deadlift: 145x8(warmup) 175x8,205x8, and..drumroll please..225x6 I could only get one rep last week
    T-bar row: 80lbs 3x8
    Lat pull down: 7 plates 10x10
    Reverse flyes: 20lbs(total) 1x10, 16lbs 2x10.
    Pull-ups/chins: alternating grips: 10x10 with foot on back of chair.

Drank my whey shake then hit the treadmill for 30 minutes of LISS/MISS

Will post macros tonight

I guess your right, maybe that's why I like it more..working as a physical therapist assistant in a hospital setting we are drilled on moving weight with out legs.

So my workout went fabulous and is as follows:
    Deadlift: 145x8(warmup) 175x8,205x8, and..drumroll please..225x6 I could only get one rep last week
    T-bar row: 80lbs 3x8
    Lat pull down: 7 plates 10x10
    Reverse flyes: 20lbs(total) 1x10, 16lbs 2x10.
    Pull-ups/chins: alternating grips: 10x10 with foot on back of chair.

Drank my whey shake then hit the treadmill for 30 minutes of LISS/MISS

Will post macros tonight
    If you're doing the cardio to burn fat, you should wait to drink your shake afterwards.

If you're just doing it because you like it, for heart health or some other reason carry on.

I guess I figured it would stop any muscle breakdown after my lifting.

It can wait until after the cardio. Taking the shake spikes your insulin.

Ok I knew it spiked insulin I guess I just didn't think about it knocking me out If ketosis during cardio. Which I would still get the calorie burn but not from fat?

A lot of people mention this in the main nutrition form. Always worried about losing muscle and yada, yada. Acting like something substantial is going to happen if they don't. The body has a small store of amino acids plus the body recycles amino acids. It would be a horrible evolutionary trait if the body did, know what I mean? As long as you hit your minimum macros every day this shouldn't be a concern for a number of reasons.

Real food for the win. So much happier I learned the truth about supplements.
    Last edited by xJellyBirdx; 10-22-2013 at 03:21 PM.

My macros from yesterday:
    Fat 104
    Protein 110
    Carbs 26-10=16 net
    Calories 1556

Ok I knew it spiked insulin I guess I just didn't think about it knocking me out If ketosis during cardio. Which I would still get the calorie burn but not from fat?
    Right, you'll still be burning calories (you burn calories all day long, whether you mean to or not lol). But if you have a lot of aminos in your bloodstream, as you would after drinking a protein shake, and little to no blood sugar or reserve glycogen stores your body will break down those aminos (gluconeogenesis) and use that readily available energy instead of tapping into your fat stores.

Also, I should mention there's a huge amount of controversy about consuming protein within 30-60 minutes after a workout. I'm gonna be completely honest and say I think that's all crap. I lift, do cardio, drive 40 minutes home and often shower before I ever eat a meal and I've never had a problem getting my muscles to grown when I want them to.

I think for me it's more psychological then anything. Growing up dad would come home, work out in the basement then immediately make his protein shake and we kids would argue over who got to have some of it lol
    Last edited by ccmarks; 10-23-2013 at 06:50 AM.

I've never had a problem getting my muscles to grown when I want them to.
    Do you think it doesn't vary when in a caloric deficit? Personally I opt for a post-workout protein shake for the calories and satiating effect since I'm on campus for a large portion of the day, but whether the timing helps with muscle recovery during a deficit is anybody's guess.

Do you think it doesn't vary when in a caloric deficit? Personally I opt for a post-workout protein shake for the calories and satiating effect since I'm on campus for a large portion of the day, but whether the timing helps with muscle recovery during a deficit is anybody's guess.
    That's why I said grow when I want them to. I would never expect my muscles to grow in a deficit because it's impossible. You actually lose a small percertage of muscle in a deficit. That's why Keto is called one of the most muscle sparing diets out there. With that said, I'm not saying that everyone should wait hours to eat after working out...but downing a protein shake right before cardio doesn't make any sense to me lol.

cc I had no idea there was a mental thing tied along to your reasoning. By no means is my advice ever meant to be pushy or "matter-of-factly", I just like passing along what I've learned and of course hearing other points of view.

That's why I said grow when I want them to. I would never expect my muscles to grow in a deficit because it's impossible.
    I guess I wanted to see if there was a distinction on your opinion regarding protein shakes being consumed post-workout. Since you stated that you never had a problem getting your muscles to grow, that implies a caloric surplus, and the importance of protein isn't as crucial when in a caloric surplus compared to a caloric deficit. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, do you think protein taken post-workout is as equally unimportant when in a caloric deficit?

I guess I wanted to see if there was a distinction on your opinion regarding protein shakes being consumed post-workout. Since you stated that you never had a problem getting your muscles to grow, that implies a caloric surplus, and the importance of protein isn't as crucial when in a caloric surplus compared to a caloric deficit. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, do you think protein taken post-workout is as equally unimportant when in a caloric deficit?
    I don't believe the window of opportunity post-workout is 30 minutes long, regardless of deficit/surplus. I do believe it's important to consume protein PWO, but I would never tell someone their workout was useless if they didn't take a shake or eat a chicken boob right after. The only real point I was trying to make is, in a deficit, it's a bad idea to down a protein shake in between strength training and cardio. The protein can wait an extra 30 minutes.