sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)

PT attire (female)

What is 'proper' female PT attire for commercial gyms? I'm getting ready to replace my wardrobe (no joke, it's been almost 10 years since I've clothing shopped) and part of that is going to be for clothing that is suitable for work. I'm not a qualified PT yet, it's still in the works, and I don't actually go to a commercial gym so I don't know what is standard. I appreciate any (legit) responses

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It'll depend on the setting as to exactly what's appropriate, but you'll generally want clothing that looks professional but is still functional (ie you can demonstrate exercises in it as naturally as you could perform them). A polo shirt and workout pants is probably on the right track.

Depending on the environment and your clients, what you're wearing in your avatar might be appropriate (or it could still be a little too casual).
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah it really depends, but generally speaking, you're probably best off not wearing anything that brings the wrong kind of attention to yourself. At the Y, both men and women wear polo shirts or dry fit t-shirts. Women usually wear normal workout pants, not too loose, but nothing excessively tight such as spandex.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks very much! A nice fitted polo and workout pants sounds good. Don't worry, I'm in my 30's & a mom, I'm long past the "I need to look hoochie" stage

Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Topless with a pink fluffy g string on.

IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IndyS3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everything from Lulu Lemon.
    At the end of the day, it's what you do, not what you say.

SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ya Im a guy and a bit of a perv but honestly would say that if you want to be a PT it would have advantages to show it off a bit...

ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Check out the adidas3si program..

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    What is 'proper' female PT attire for commercial gyms? I'm getting ready to replace my wardrobe (no joke, it's been almost 10 years since I've clothing shopped) and part of that is going to be for clothing that is suitable for work. I'm not a qualified PT yet, it's still in the works, and I don't actually go to a commercial gym so I don't know what is standard. I appreciate any (legit) responses

When I worked for a gym vs solo, there was a required "uniform." Black pants (sometimes I wore yoga pants) and their fitted t-shirt with TRAINER emblazened on the back.

If you're indendent you can wear whatever you wish. Some female clients are motivated by seeing a muscle-y trainer showing lots of skin, others are intimidated or even put off. Don't spend too much money. The pay sucks.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As a PT manager, my biggest issue with women trainers is making sure they separate themselves from members. It doesn't always have to mean a polo and slacks, I allow them to dress in sporty clothes, even spandex and sporty tops sometimes (although it should still be conservative). They have to be labeled "trainer" somewhere on the clothes though, so people can differentiate that they are not just some jack off trying to train a buddy. On the floor working with clients, in my experience people have responded better to trainers that are dressed like they want to workout and get to it. IMO it adds to the image of the trainer and client relationship more than takes away its professionalism. Now if its a consult or business revolving around being in the offices with a client, they should be dressed professionally, which is why I encourage them to carry both at work.
    "There is no one right way, everyone is different"

-B.S. Pre-Med/Biology from CMU and ex-CMU Wide Receiver
    -NASM CPT, PES, CES
    -Current trainer of elite athletes
    -Future Elite BowHunter and certified Lungcutter

Official 1st Phorm Ambassador

https://coachmatt.1stphorm.com/

zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by IndyS3 View Post
    Everything from Lulu Lemon.
    lol!!! yeah... see thru baby.
    Blood DIEmonds are not forever.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    For men or women, a fitted polo shirt, sport shorts (not booty shorts) or track pants, runners. Only difference from men to women is that women can get away with tights.

Most worthwhile places will supply a uniform anyway, at least the shirt, and will have guidelines on the rest, eg "only black shorts", etc. So I'd wait on getting the job before buying a lot of gear.

Originally Posted by Footballa_19
    They have to be labeled "trainer" somewhere on the clothes though, so people can differentiate that they are not just some jack off trying to train a buddy.
    If someone watching can't tell the difference between a trainer and a random idiot coaching someone, then that trainer has got some professional development to do.

Appreciate the (legit) responses. You're right, uniforms are mostly supplied out here, but I am looking to go independent right from the start, I'm dealing with some language barrier issues here and I'm not sure I can work in a commercial gym right away. I will try, but I don't know if they will accept me. Thanks!

Fitness Anarchist SerpentHearted's Avatar
    SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    as an independent trainer, unless you think it would be a bad move for a specific reason related to location and target clientèle, forget about trying to be "generic respectable female PT #83957" and think about setting yourself apart from the multitudes of generics. Of course you have to be good at what you do as well, but primarily you are selling yourself... so trying to package "yourself" into some preconceived notion of what a trainer should look like, dress like, act like is missing the point IMO. Send the message that you have complete confidence in who you are and what you do.

Of course it took me a while to learn this myself...

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Thanks very much! A nice fitted polo and workout pants sounds good. Don't worry, I'm in my 30's & a mom, I'm long past the "I need to look hoochie" stage
    And here I was going to suggest "go with the hoochie look", nevermind now though.
    Casual - professional is best, slightly form fitting but not 'skin tight', you want to show you are in shape, but not that you are the wild 'hoochie momma' we secretly know you are...
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I work in a co-op studio w/other independent trainers so we don't have a set uniform or anything. Anyway, a while back this girl joined our co-op and she would come to work in a freakin' sports bra! lol. I guess she thought she could cash in on the horny male population but even her new male clients were kind of uncomfortable. The rest of the co-op members made me bring it up to her (assh0les lol).

Sonti, I think that if you're in shape (which you are even though you feel you dont have your pre-mom physique) any type of female athletic wear will show it w/o looking hoochie-ish. Forming fitting bottoms are fine but I would stay away from shorts just to be on the safe side. And as for a top, I think you're fine as long as it's not cut too low or the bottom is not cut too high. I think even if your navel shows when you raise your arms it's fine but any higher than that I would stay away from.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

Location: Doncaster, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    SilhouettePT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In most commercial gyms I've worked at or trained it the tend have a specific uniform for the PT's. Just remember to keep to keep it professional.
    Personal Trainer and Lifestyle Coach
    www.fitnesscampdoncaster.com

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sonti. What is wrong with a fitted T-shirt and some workout pants, capris and such? The clothes should fit the environment. I wouldn't wear shorts if it were below 50 degrees F(because I'm from Southern California). You are your own boss, you don't have to wear a uniform.
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The idea is to show off your attributes without being overly sexy or offensive. Don't hide behind a baggy sweet suit or shorts that don't enhance your physique. Of course you must have a physique that inspires people to want to learn what you know before any of this is relevant.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Thanks Keltron I've come along with in the 5 months so far so I think I'm getting close. Will never be back to before kids (hooray for stretch marks) but I'd say I look pretty darn fit for someone with 3 pregnancies behind her.

I decided to go with basic Adidas athletic capris (functional) and my standard zipped Lululemon sweater for now, and a nice fitted polo - I think the polo is a good blend of looking athletic but functional but professional. Appreciate the serious replies.

RE: shorts
    I don't have my location listed but it's April and still snowing so...... yeah, shorts aren't an issue for me LOL. Quebec.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Depends on where you're working at, their requirements, their le-way with certain things, and whom you're training in regards to target market.

If you have a smokin bod, it's stupid not to play that up if you have the opportunity to. There's a ton of sexy fitness clothing these days. So as long as you aren't half naked, you can still have fun with it and show off your good points. Regardless of what we as trainers might say to each other and the importance of trainer's looks, it does impact on certain members/clients and motivate others.

If you're a bikini model for example, no reason why one shouldn't be wearing tights to emphasise their bum and legs. Not everyone looking at a trainer thinks negatively or judges harshly. Again, if there's anyone that acts a certain way without KNOWING you, then you don't really wanna work with them anyway.

If you're a guy with good arms, then you'd wear a singlet etc.

All this is assuming your target market are not old fuddy duddies however. If you do target older people, then you'd tone it down and do the whole cover up deal.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted