mling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fitness newbie looking for a bit of advice

Hey everyone, I'm hoping you can help me with a few questions I can't seem to find a solid answer for. I've read a ton of forums and talked to some trainers but my biggest questions I'm still lost on are:

1) I currently weigh 175lbs, I'm 5'9, and my body fat is 15-20%. I want to be 175-180 lbs, with 8-11% body fat this year if possible. My question is do I need to take in a ton of calories and gain weight/muscle and cut or should I use the other formula of 10 calories per desired weight? It seems that sources vary on this but I feel like its counter productive for me to gain more weight as I'm already a bit chubby.

2) I'm currently doing a 6 day split is this too much for me, am I over working myself or is it good to just get right into things?

3) Should I take thermogenics to cut some fat or is the fat needed for me to gain muscle? (If so which ones are the best? most of my excess fat is on my mid section)

Any help would be great I'm not sure If I've posted it in the right area.

deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100) deadenemy is not very well liked. (-100)
    1. Stop being a *******
    2. Read the stickies
    3. See #1

RIP Calisthenics only1113 Leeuf's Avatar
    Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mling View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm hoping you can help me with a few questions I can't seem to find a solid answer for. I've read a ton of forums and talked to some trainers but my biggest questions I'm still lost on are:
    Those trainers sucked!

1) I currently weigh 175lbs, I'm 5'9, and my body fat is 15-20%. I want to be 175-180 lbs, with 8-11% body fat this year if possible. My question is do I need to take in a ton of calories and gain weight/muscle and cut or should I use the other formula of 10 calories per desired weight? It seems that sources vary on this but I feel like its counter productive for me to gain more weight as I'm already a bit chubby.
    Read this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Read "Starting Strength" by Mark Riptoe.

2) I'm currently doing a 6 day split is this too much for me, am I over working myself or is it good to just get right into things?
    If you're new to heavy weights you will be tired at first but your body will adapt to being challenged. 6 days is quite a lot for a newbie though. Also if you eat more you will be less tired. When I wake up in the morning I feel like death. As soon as I've had my cup of oats I feel ready to overthrow a third-world country.

3) Should I take thermogenics to cut some fat or is the fat needed for me to gain muscle? (If so which ones are the best? most of my excess fat is on my mid section)
    Thermogenics is stupid. Just eat 250 calories less than what you use in the day and watch the fat disappear.