Closed Thread
    Jdrol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Savoury protein shakes?

Anyone know of any savoury tasting protein shakes? Seems like a pretty obvious gap in the market, since ive only ever encountered sweet ones. Personally, I think a protein soup would be pretty awesome (to be fair, you could probably try mixing unflavoured powders into a soup or something). Is there something integral to whey/casein that means it doesnt respond well to certain flavourings?

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why not just consume a beef soup or stew? Do you really need a processed food marketed as a "supplement" that tastes something like...food?

texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    unflavored whey isolate in tomato soup might work, add your own spices or whatever. tomato soup addict checking in.
    Johns Hopkins '16

joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Back in the day when powders didn't have much flavor I used to throw them in food like pastas with sauce etc. It would get a real thick consistency and be like eating glue as it would stick to your teeth. Now I'm just a big fan of double rich chocolate shakes. However, lots of foods now have whey added though not enough for bodybuilding purposes.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Blend up your favorite savoury dish?

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by joeyddi View Post
    However, lots of foods now have whey added though not enough for bodybuilding purposes.
    I hope you know don't have to consume a diet composed of processed foods (whey protein, in this example).

You could, for example, consume foods like red meat, fish, poultry, eggs, etc.

joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I could but then that would require me to cook ;-)

wonderpug: off topic question. how do i see the thread I've posted in? I'm a complete newbie and can't figure it out. Is there a way? Most of the time I don't know if somebody responded to my post unless I remember to look in threads I've posted in if I can fund them

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    The solution to your problem is obvious, OP:

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by joeyddi View Post
    wonderpug: off topic question. how do i see the thread I've posted in? I'm a complete newbie and can't figure it out. Is there a way? Most of the time I don't know if somebody responded to my post unless I remember to look in threads I've posted in if I can fund them
    Right click on your name in a post, then select "View Forum Posts".

Or goto search, select advanced to the right of the search box, then search for posts by your username.

Jdrol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Why not just consume a beef soup or stew? Do you really need a processed food marketed as a "supplement" that tastes something like...food?
    I don't think there's anything wrong with taking supplements. Its quick to make a shake, doesn't require any mass preparation or fridge storage, and it's easy to keep track of the macros/calories in them. While it might be true that there is some benefit to eating whole foods rather than processed food in terms of digestive health, I personally find it easier, psychologically to consume a couple of shakes rather than actual meals. Less thought goes into the process. My diet generally works better with shakes, and I see no real reason to exclude them.

seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000) seamus33 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i've heard peaple blend tuna and milk.... gnarls
    Ladieeeees

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Right click on your name in a post, then select "View Forum Posts".

Or goto search, select advanced to the right of the search box, then search for posts by your username.
    must be an admin thing because I'm still not seeing it. Right click would get you a browser menu. Maybe I'm just slow

Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Jdrol View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with taking supplements. Its quick to make a shake, doesn't require any mass preparation or fridge storage, and it's easy to keep track of the macros/calories in them. While it might be true that there is some benefit to eating whole foods rather than processed food in terms of digestive health, I personally find it easier, psychologically to consume a couple of shakes rather than actual meals. Less thought goes into the process. My diet generally works better with shakes, and I see no real reason to exclude them.
    Wow. Just wow.

There's nothing wrong with taking shakes if you prefer them, but...you actually prefer shakes to food? Wow.

i would always prefer a nice cooked meal with real food and protein vs. a shake as long as I'm not the one who has to cook it ;-)

AustinLHardin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

But... Lol

Originally Posted by Makween View Post
    Wow. Just wow.

There's nothing wrong with taking shakes if you prefer them, but...you actually prefer shakes to food? Wow.
    This is going to sound weird but I always prefer protein shakes, even though I’m extremely tired of the sweet flavoring. Reason being I time my protein intake to be within an hour after my workouts. I’ll have something a little carby first to trigger my insulin response and then pound a couple protein shakes while my my body is primed for it. Since protein shakes are a bit easier and faster to digest than real food I’m a little more confident in my body’s ability to synthesize it while it’s still primed from working out.
    It’s actually been really helpful for my recovery times even though it’s sounds a bit bro-sciency. Lol

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AustinLHardin View Post
    This is going to sound weird but I always prefer protein shakes, even though I’m extremely tired of the sweet flavoring. Reason being I time my protein intake to be within an hour after my workouts. I’ll have something a little carby first to trigger my insulin response and then pound a couple protein shakes while my my body is primed for it. Since protein shakes are a bit easier and faster to digest than real food I’m a little more confident in my body’s ability to synthesize it while it’s still primed from working out.
    It’s actually been really helpful for my recovery times even though it’s sounds a bit bro-sciency. Lol
    You're responding to a thread from 2012 but your reasoning might be even more dated so I guess its not too bad.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover