CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help! What's Failing? Nutrition or Training?

Hello, I am a 25 year old woman, 5'1 and 92 pounds, looking to put on 10 pounds (give or take a few). I have been weight training for about 3 weeks now (3-5 times a week with a short warm-up and a 1/2 hour to an hour of weight training.) I've been varying muscle splits, types of exercises, weight, amount of reps and sets etc, trying to get comfortable with lifting heavier and trying to figure out what works best for me (both what I enjoy and what gives me the best "burn.")

As for nutrition I've been aiming to eat between 1800 and 2000 calories a day, using food exchanges as a reference. I shoot for 16oz protein (some lean, some not so), 7 starch servings, 3 fruit servings, 1 serving of beans/legumes, 1-2 servings of dairy, 3-4 veggies, and 3-4 added fats. I allow myself the occasional "treat" as well, like an alcoholic drink or a piece of cake. I don't always meet the goals, occasionally go over, and sometimes swap things for others.

So far I have seen some results, a little more definition overall, but have not put on any weight. I am going on vacation in a week and when I get back would like to start a more formal routine. My big question is what do you think has been failing me so far. I was expecting to have put on a couple of pounds. Am I most likely not training hard enough or correctly? Will a more vigorous or structured workout routine make the difference? OR is it simply that I'm not eating enough to put on weight?

Thanks,

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Eat more. More fat ESP. Just keep adding more cals until you're gaining 1/2 lb per wk.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ya, I second that. Eat more. If you aren't gaining, you aren't eating enough.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes - EAT MORE FOOD, lots. Any idea how many grams of protein, carbs, and fat you're getting per day? Start tracking everything specifically in a little notebook if you don't already, that'll get rid of any estimating and show you exactly where you're at.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50) flyingeek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CorStar View Post
    Hello, I am a 25 year old woman, 5'1 and 92 pounds, looking to put on 10 pounds (give or take a few). I have been weight training for about 3 weeks now (3-5 times a week with a short warm-up and a 1/2 hour to an hour of weight training.) I've been varying muscle splits, types of exercises, weight, amount of reps and sets etc, trying to get comfortable with lifting heavier and trying to figure out what works best for me (both what I enjoy and what gives me the best "burn.")

As for nutrition I've been aiming to eat between 1800 and 2000 calories a day, using food exchanges as a reference. I shoot for 16oz protein (some lean, some not so), 7 starch servings, 3 fruit servings, 1 serving of beans/legumes, 1-2 servings of dairy, 3-4 veggies, and 3-4 added fats. I allow myself the occasional "treat" as well, like an alcoholic drink or a piece of cake. I don't always meet the goals, occasionally go over, and sometimes swap things for others.

So far I have seen some results, a little more definition overall, but have not put on any weight. I am going on vacation in a week and when I get back would like to start a more formal routine. My big question is what do you think has been failing me so far. I was expecting to have put on a couple of pounds. Am I most likely not training hard enough or correctly? Will a more vigorous or structured workout routine make the difference? OR is it simply that I'm not eating enough to put on weight?

Thanks,
    I am too trying to gain weight and have gained from 111-124 lb in the last year and a half (wearing the same size clothes) and am looking to hit 130 at the end of the year.

Use the nifty calculator no here on how many calories you need for your purpose and especially your macros (protein/carb/fat). weigh and calculate. You be surprised how far off you may be with estimations. I, for an example found that if I dont calculate, I actually get only half the fat I need if I dont calculate bizarely enough.

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As for nutrition I've been aiming to eat between 1800 and 2000 calories a day, Thanks,
    That isn't nearly enough to put on mass. I would be losing 1/2 lb to 1 lb a week of fat on that calorie intake.

I think I would try 2250 - 2500 cal/day
    Last edited by catskills; 07-05-2012 at 05:41 AM.

CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10) CorStar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by catskills View Post
    That isn't nearly enough to put on mass. I would be losing 1/2 lb to 1 lb a week of fat on that calorie intake.

Ok I will up the calls. Glad to see there's another petite woman out there who needs more calories than what the calculators say. I can definitely add more calories, my problem is doing so while still trying to keep my diet "clean." I could easily add, say, a bag of potato chips (my ultimate favorite "cheat" food" daily to my diet, but not sure if that's really the way to go. I'm not a huge fan of nuts or red meat. Any suggestions for ways to sneak in a few extra healthy calories? Should I switch to full fat dairy? Should I say forget egg whites and just eat whole eggs? Or should I just say f it and eat more pizza and cookies?

MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have been weight training for about 3 weeks now
    If results came in 3 weeks then everyone would look amazing :P

Keep at it and eat more!

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

It depends. Some people don't do much outside of the gym, and just don't need that many calories to maintain. From experience, I maintain on about 1500 calories give or take a little, without exercise. My bulking calories with hitting the gym 3-4 times per week for an hour are 2000.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I could easily add, say, a bag of potato chips (my ultimate favorite "cheat" food" daily to my diet, but not sure if that's really the way to go. I'm not a huge fan of nuts or red meat. Any suggestions for ways to sneak in a few extra healthy calories? Should I switch to full fat dairy? Should I say forget egg whites and just eat whole eggs? Or should I just say f it and eat more pizza and cookies?
    You are trying to bulk to put on weight, so I don't think it really matters as long as you are getting enough protein. For example in about 4 weeks I am going to switch to maintenance and put potato chips back on my diet. I took them off when I went on the cut only because I needed the room for calories coming from protein. That was the same reason I took out egg yolks and full fat dairy, just to make sure I could keep my carbs high as well. With pizza and cookies, it depends more on the person. I am a bit of a sugar addict so cookies for me leads to bingeing, however I do eat pizza at least once a week. I make my pizza homemade with roma tomatos and whole wheat tortillas just to make it more of a "healthy" food. I find takeout sometimes a bit too thick on the crust and they never put on enough veggies for me. But again I don't really think it matters. That is why I suggested even going as high as 2500 cal/day. I workout a lot, but if you aren't getting results at 2000, then you need to go higher at least for a few weeks. At your stats, I think I would make sure that your protein intake is high, I eat roughly 120g - 150g a day. It seems to be good amount for me.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are two inches and 20 lbs difference between you.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 88Birdy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MelnCrash View Post
    If results came in 3 weeks then everyone would look amazing :P

Keep at it and eat more!
    Totally!
    High carb protein powders might help ya getting enough calories to build mass... you can also make smothies. they are easy to swallow!

sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sarahkay_3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm almost 3" taller, but I've been underweight several times at close to your current weight. In order to start gaining I need to eat a minimum of 2,600 calories and it takes a long time to see results. I find taking in a lot of liquid calories the only way for me to get enough in. I also find that tracking my intake every single day is essential, because I tend to overestimate how much I've eaten. Gaining is a slow process and you need to give yourself time, and not expect it to happen in just a couple of weeks.
    "Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death."

gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000)
    like everyone else says.....eat!